The Student Room Group

Training Contract - Success Stories

As its coming up to the TC application season, I want to know peoples success stories from securing a training contract.

Anyone get a few 2:2s in a few modules and get into top firms?

How much rejections did you face? What was your overall degree class? What did you get in your respective years overall?

For Me:

1) I had 3 2:2s in first year and a one 3rd in second
2) 1st Year - 60% 2nd Year - 65% (likely)
3) Have got 4 post AC VS rejections :frown:
4) Hoping to graduate with a first (trying)
Juts make sure you apply to the correct level of firm. It is unclear what you regard as a top firm and how good your uni is.
I believe TSR members only apply to US or MC firms.
Reply 3
Looking at firms such as HSF, Addleshaw, BLP. I appreciate any "better" is fairly unrealistic, given that my grades so far are below average. We shall see.

Original post by 999tigger
Juts make sure you apply to the correct level of firm. It is unclear what you regard as a top firm and how good your uni is.

See above, also I am at a top Russell group uni, but it all means very little without the grades.
Original post by JY98
Looking at firms such as HSF, Addleshaw, BLP. I appreciate any "better" is fairly unrealistic, given that my grades so far are below average. We shall see.

See above, also I am at a top Russell group uni, but it all means very little without the grades.

The market will soon sort you out as to where you are on the ladder. Maybe you can leave the real apps till you get your degree? First year grades are generally the least important. Another advantage other people will have is it seems they will have a lot more legal experience.
Reply 5
The market will soon sort you out as to where you are on the ladder. Maybe you can leave the real apps till you get your degree? First year grades are generally the least important. Another advantage other people will have is it seems they will have a lot more legal experience.

How so? And I currently have 4 work experience placements at small high street firms, then plan is to try and get that to 6-8 if I fail to get a VS (which atm is looking more and more unlikely by the day) :biggrin:
Reply 6

Your point about the leaving the better firms apps till I graduate is something, I have tbh thought of. However, my only concern is that, I have spent a year prior to university travelling so I am unsure if that will further hinder my application? Although, as things stand, it may be the best method. I am currently on track for a first class degree (shocking I know) but thankfully, last year is 80% so I am trying.
Original post by JY98
How so? And I currently have 4 work experience placements at small high street firms, then plan is to try and get that to 6-8 if I fail to get a VS (which atm is looking more and more unlikely by the day) :biggrin:

Because it has a way of finding your level as to how appealing you are to employers. many firms see an awful lot of applications.
Original post by JY98
Your point about the leaving the better firms apps till I graduate is something, I have tbh thought of. However, my only concern is that, I have spent a year prior to university travelling so I am unsure if that will further hinder my application? Although, as things stand, it may be the best method. I am currently on track for a first class degree (shocking I know) but thankfully, last year is 80% so I am trying.

Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending