The Student Room Group

What's so good about a Russell Group university?

No idea..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Traore
No idea..

Nothing.

Also, moved to Educational Debate :borat:
(edited 6 years ago)
Russel group universities tend to have better research going on compared to polytechs.
Original post by HotDetermination
Russel group universities tend to have better research going on compared to polytechs.

True, but important to point out this has little to no impact on an undergraduate's prospects.
Original post by Blue_Cow
True, but important to point out this has little to no impact on an undergraduate's prospects.

A undergraduate could potentially be interested in researching at the same uni after they graduate. I can appreciate that few people go into research so I guess it wouldn't make a huge difference or anything.

Polytechnics stopped existing in 1992.
they are like the Premier League in Soccer sport.
Original post by the bear
they are like the Premier League in Soccer sport.

lolwut?
Original post by PQ
Polytechnics stopped existing in 1992.

I thought polytechs was the term used to describe any non Russell Group uni. Is there a term?
Russell brand owns it...

Spoiler

I thought polytechs was the term used to describe any non Russell Group uni. Is there a term?

Nope you've been misinformed.

You could split currently existing unis into two groups in a number of ways that would at least make some sort of sense but that isn't one of them.
also talking about them in the present tense makes you sound like the sort of old duffer who talks about the USSR or Yugoslavia as if they still exist.
Original post by Joinedup
Nope you've been misinformed.

You could split currently existing unis into two groups in a number of ways that would at least make some sort of sense but that isn't one of them.
also talking about them in the present tense makes you sound like the sort of old duffer who talks about the USSR or Yugoslavia as if they still exist.

Yes
In all honesty Rusell group universities tend to have higher employability prospects than non RG unis. That's Facts. Other than that nothing really.
I actually agree. I personally wouldn't go anywhere but to an RG uni, opens up doors for you.
Original post by sparkledust123
I actually agree. I personally wouldn't go anywhere but to an RG uni, opens up doors for you.

Really depends which one and to some extent, which course plus how well you do.
The Russel Group, despite saying they are a research organisation, is really just an effective marketing tool. They have persuaded lots of people they ar e "better" or "more prestigious" than other unis (by including many of the unis with a long history or generally good reputation to join).

It doesn't have a huge impact on undergraduates- you may even get better teaching or more contact time elsewhere. Some people say going to a Russel Group uni will open more doors in employment, but I'm not sure this is true. Many people have opinions about the Russel Group without actually knowing what unis are in it- so they think of e.g. Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester etc, which are all pretty respected. They aren't necessarily thinking of QMUL or Southampton

Most people couldn't actually list the unis in the Russel Group, and there are plenty of respected unis outside this group.

For postgrad, if you want to do a PhD be on the cutting edge of your subject, I think it can help, but even then, you might find someone who's research interests you're more closely aligned with elsewhere.
RG is just a rebranding of red bricks to bring in more universities and give careers advisors and teachers a nice lazy shortcut.
That's very true, it's all quite frustrating when you think about it. why can't all unis offer equal opportunities.
The simple way I look at it is that RG Unis=More research focused and Non-RG=More student focused. Idk if I got the wrong perception about this but...meh.
Greater reputation and graduate prospects
Widely recognized globally

But there are some non-RG universities that are even better than some RG members. For instance St.Andrews Bath are relatively on par with Durham Bristol and relatively better than Liverpool or Newcastle :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending