The Student Room Group

History and politics at UoN Vs. Law at Uni of Leeds

So I've got to choose my firm University offer for University soon, but I'm facing a major dilemma.I have the full intention of becoming a Corporate Lawyer in the future (Hopefully in a magic circle firm). All my life I've worked towards becoming a Lawyer. For example,I've attended several court hearings in central London (Old bailey, Royal courts of Justice).Recently, the University of Nottingham reject my Law application due to my LNAT score but they want me at the university, so they offered me an unconditional place on the History and Politics course. I'm considering taking this offer and completing the GDL after assuming I secure a trainee contract. I have every intention in maintaining my interest in the Legal career during my History and Politics course. However, my parents are encouraging me to take the conditional offer Leeds University has made to me.
The problem is I feel that Nottingham is better suited for me and I'm really afraid that I'd get to Leed and I'd feel out of place. I can't stand the thought of being depressed for 3 years.
I would like to know whether I should attend the Uni I KNOW I'd be comfortable in while doing a course which I enjoy but doesn't secure my career or risk going to a Uni I don't enjoy and doing Law (Which I might not enjoy). I'm aware that the study of Law and the Practice of Law can be very different
Original post by sparkledust123
So I've got to choose my firm University offer for University soon, but I'm facing a major dilemma.I have the full intention of becoming a Corporate Lawyer in the future (Hopefully in a magic circle firm). All my life I've worked towards becoming a Lawyer. For example,I've attended several court hearings in central London (Old bailey, Royal courts of Justice).Recently, the University of Nottingham reject my Law application due to my LNAT score but they want me at the university, so they offered me an unconditional place on the History and Politics course. I'm considering taking this offer and completing the GDL after assuming I secure a trainee contract. I have every intention in maintaining my interest in the Legal career during my History and Politics course. However, my parents are encouraging me to take the conditional offer Leeds University has made to me.
The problem is I feel that Nottingham is better suited for me and I'm really afraid that I'd get to Leed and I'd feel out of place. I can't stand the thought of being depressed for 3 years.
I would like to know whether I should attend the Uni I KNOW I'd be comfortable in while doing a course which I enjoy but doesn't secure my career or risk going to a Uni I don't enjoy and doing Law (Which I might not enjoy). I'm aware that the study of Law and the Practice of Law can be very different

Seems like you have already made your mind up for Nottingham.
You do talk about thus lifelong vacation for law though, but are bypassing the opportunity to study it in depth. Go where you think you will be happy imo an you can deal with the rest later. Don't forget it is still competitive for non law students.
Why would you feel out of place and be depressed at Leeds?

The Northern folk aren't that nasty, you know? And some people who go to Leeds are Southron.
Original post by Notoriety

The Northern folk aren't that nasty, you know? And some people who go to Leeds are Southron.

Original post by 999tigger
Seems like you have already made your mind up for Nottingham.
You do talk about thus lifelong vacation for law though, but are bypassing the opportunity to study it in depth. Go where you think you will be happy imo an you can deal with the rest later. Don't forget it is still competitive for non law students.

Yes I'm definitely aware that it's competitive regardless of whether you're a Law graduate or non-Law graduate. I've spoken to about this multiple times with my mentor, she goes to LSE and has secured a training contract with a magic circle law firm. She advices that I go to a uni I'll enjoy and do the GDL. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by doing this.

I don't know. I'm just really afraid of going to a university that I hadn't really considered before and potentially not enjoying it. it's quite irrational actually. I'm sure the northerners are lovely.
Yes I'm definitely aware that it's competitive regardless of whether you're a Law graduate or non-Law graduate. I've spoken to about this multiple times with my mentor, she goes to LSE and has secured a training contract with a magic circle law firm. She advices that I go to a uni I'll enjoy and do the GDL. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by doing this.

They are just different routes. Not sure which one I would do. As long as its your choice then it doesnt matter. Whilst your mentor may have got an MC TC, she also must have gotten better grades. Either could turn out great for you.
Original post by 999tigger
They are just different routes. Not sure which one I would do. As long as its your choice then it doesnt matter. Whilst your mentor may have got an MC TC, she also must have gotten better grades. Either could turn out great for you.

I haven't done my final exams yet so I know the intensity of work needed to secure the grades. Regardless of my route i KNOW i'm determined to become a lawyer. Thanks
I don't know. I'm just really afraid of going to a university that I hadn't really considered before and potentially not enjoying it. it's quite irrational actually. I'm sure the northerners are lovely.

Leeds is alright. If you can research, visit, talk to people who've been there, trawl through Google Streetview.

My concern is that Notts has thought you weren't bright enough for law there (wrongly, probably) and given you an unconditional for another course at the place. What does that tell you: you weren't good enough for X but you're good enough to get an unconditional for Y? To me it says Y is not that hot.
Leeds is alright. If you can research, visit, talk to people who've been there, trawl through Google Streetview.

My concern is that Notts has thought you weren't bright enough for law there (wrongly, probably) and given you an unconditional for another course at the place. What does that tell you: you weren't good enough for X but you're good enough to get an unconditional for Y? To me it says Y is not that hot.

Yeah, I know that Nottingham held onto my application for a while after reviewing it because my LNAT results weren't good enough to give me an offer straight away. So they offered me a different course and because of my GCSE grade in history they made that offer unconditional. I guess Leeds is just out of my comfort zone that's why I'm so unsure.
Yeah, I know that Nottingham held onto my application for a while after reviewing it because my LNAT results weren't good enough to give me an offer straight away. So they offered me a different course and because of my GCSE grade in history they made that offer unconditional. I guess Leeds is just out of my comfort zone that's why I'm so unsure.

Yes, but GCSE grades are not adequate preparation for degree-level history. Otherwise we'd all apply to uni when we were 15 and not bother with the A-Levels. They offered you unconditional so you'd accept the offer and they need you to accept the offer because they are under-subscribed/the course is crap. I wonder how content you will feel 2 years into a doss degree.
Yes, but GCSE grades are not adequate preparation for degree-level history. Otherwise we'd all apply to uni when we were 15 and not bother with the A-Levels. They offered you unconditional so you'd accept the offer and they need you to accept the offer because they are under-subscribed/the course is crap. I wonder how content you will feel 2 years into a doss degree.

I never thought of it like that,I just assumed that because it's a top University it'd be a decent course. I appreciate it
Thank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending