The Student Room Group

A-level student - fire away w/questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lukem14
Hi I’m interested in doing economics but I’ve looked on college websites and can’t really find much out what it involves, also what do you think about sociology, psychology and law?
Thank you!!

Economics is looking at how the economy works and where the money goes and the effect on demand and price levels. Its essay writing and includes almost debates in your work. Your 3 a-level options look good to me, beware though some uni prefer a combo of history and English instead of law
Original post by Anonymous030701
Economics is looking at how the economy works and where the money goes and the effect on demand and price levels. Its essay writing and includes almost debates in your work. Your 3 a-level options look good to me, beware though some uni prefer a combo of history and English instead of law

Thank you
Original post by Iahmed512
Every a level subjects will be really hard, so you would struggle even more if you don't do as well for gcse and that's one of the reasons subjects have entry requirements, I Don't know about anything in detail since I'm in year 11 myself.

Yeah a lot of people have said that to me! I just don't really know what to do, I mean I'll hopefully get the grades to be able to do it at A-level but I struggle with maths so I don't know! Thank you for your help! What do you want to do after Year 11?
Maths isn't a requirement it is just one that people tend to do alongside. I know a lot of people who haven't done maths with physics and they are fine. If you get an A* at gcse at put in the same work you did to get that a-level then you would probably come out with a C - thats how hard and demanding it is. If you are taking physics then really you need to except that you may not get an A/A* and could be potentially looking at a B/C/D grade, I am not saying you can't get an A I am just pointing out the difficulty and the effort it requires. If you want to go to a Russel group uni and an A grade I would potentially loom at another A-level. I think physics is definitely harder than maths

Okay, I think I'll have a good think about it! That's reassuring to know! Oh wow, I didn't expect it to be that hard. Yeah, I'm now thinking that maybe another A-level may be more suitable but then again I'm just not sure! Thanks for the honest advice, I really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Yeah a lot of people have said that to me! I just don't really know what to do, I mean I'll hopefully get the grades to be able to do it at A-level but I struggle with maths so I don't know! Thank you for your help! What do you want to do after Year 11?

Yes hopefully you will, I want to do computer science, physics, electronics and maybe maths a-level
Yes hopefully you will, I want to do computer science, physics, electronics and maybe maths a-level

Thanks! Oh wow, very heavy going ones, that's cool - good luck to you!
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Thanks! Oh wow, very heavy going ones, that's cool - good luck to you!

Thanks, hopefully I will manage somehow. Good luck to you too, especially since you're also considering taking physics.
Thanks, hopefully I will manage somehow. Good luck to you too, especially since you're also considering taking physics.

Yeah, I'm sure you will especially if they are subjects you really enjoy! Haha thank you :smile:
Hi guys,

I know a few people are having troubles with the forum, feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 49
For maths, how much harder will I have to work to get an A compared to getting an A/A* in GCSE? I am a lazy person so just wondering if that's gonna be an issue
Hi guys, I am making this because I think it would be helpful if you had advice from someone in their first yr of sixth form who did their gcses last year. I wish I had a forum like this where I could ask just a normal student for advice so I have made one for you guys. Whether its GCSE questions/advice or a-level I am happy to answer. I am currently taking Maths, Physics and Economics at a-level.
My results last year were fairly average ; six C's/5's (geography, French, computing and two 5's in eng lan + lit), four B's (Science core, science additional, RE and drama), and then a 7 in maths.

Fire away and ask any advice - I AM COMPLETELY HONEST

btw this is a copy of my last thread as I had loads of pm's of people telling me they couldn't comment

if I don't understand any physics but get a 7 in gcse and do physics in college, how hard will it be
Original post by F1 1AK
For maths, how much harder will I have to work to get an A compared to getting an A/A* in GCSE? I am a lazy person so just wondering if that's gonna be an issue

If you get a 7 in maths and put the same work effort in for a-level you will get around a C/D. So a hell of a lot, it is a very demanding a-level. Many of my friends are dropping it after as due to the workload. If you are willing to put in the effort then thats good. I would say for every 1 hour lesson of maths at least do 2 hours of independent revision
Original post by Baza2002
if I don't understand any physics but get a 7 in gcse and do physics in college, how hard will it be

Very hard, I got good grades in gcse and didn't quite understand it so thats why it was my a-level option, however a-level is completely different to gcse's its on another level. My advice would be unless you have a real passion, do not take it!
I already do a lot of work from home with my GCSEs, I’m taking Chem, Bio and then I don’t know about my last one tbh but will it still be a shock? Also how do I revise?! Like I’ve written so many notes and done mindmaps galore and I only learn by writing but I don’t know what else to do?!
Original post by Mollyanderton
I already do a lot of work from home with my GCSEs, I’m taking Chem, Bio and then I don’t know about my last one tbh but will it still be a shock? Also how do I revise?! Like I’ve written so many notes and done mindmaps galore and I only learn by writing but I don’t know what else to do?!

yes it will still be a shock, I use to do 5hrs mon-fri after school revision then 10hours on sat-sun for gcses and I say its a shock. The reason it is a shock is because with gcses you have had years. 7-11 to prepare and learn it so ultimately you really are just revising. Comparing this to a-levels where you have to learn 2 yrs of new content at a fast pace going through things once. All of it is on you as you will be expected to do a lot of the course almost as independent study because there is so much content.
By the sounds of it with your a-level choices biology ultimately is just literally learning all the content and remembering it, so mind maps and past papers would be the way to go. With chemistry you will need to do loads of pasta papers, flash cards and get some revision guides to help out. Have you maybe thought of maths as your 3rd choice? If you enjoy it, it will be a nice combo of subjects.
Reply 55
Hi, my A-levels option for next year are -
-maths(predicted a 9 but I think I will get a 7)
-business(didn't do the GCSE)
-biology(predicted a 6 though I think I MAY get a 7 )
-or if I do not get a 6 in science then computer science instead(predicted 6 though I think I MAY get 7/8)
now my question is, with my grades do you think if I get the grade I need for science, is it worth doing computer science as well(so 4 A levels instead of three)
computer science seems to link to maths more but while I do enjoy it to some extent, I enjoy biology slightly more(and it's a facilitating subject). Also, my school says they advise that if I want to do 4 A levels then my average grade should be a 7 but emphasis on ADVISE. and I can drop a subject at any time but if you think it isn't worth doing then I rather not waste my time
Original post by d3vkfc
Hi, my A-levels option for next year are -
-maths(predicted a 9 but I think I will get a 7)
-business(didn't do the GCSE)
-biology(predicted a 6 though I think I MAY get a 7 )
-or if I do not get a 6 in science then computer science instead(predicted 6 though I think I MAY get 7/8)
now my question is, with my grades do you think if I get the grade I need for science, is it worth doing computer science as well(so 4 A levels instead of three)
computer science seems to link to maths more but while I do enjoy it to some extent, I enjoy biology slightly more(and it's a facilitating subject). Also, my school says they advise that if I want to do 4 A levels then my average grade should be a 7 but emphasis on ADVISE. and I can drop a subject at any time but if you think it isn't worth doing then I rather not waste my time

Here it really is personal choice, your grades seem fine. I got a 7 in maths, two b's in science and never took economics and it is ok. Personally if you aren't as bothered with computing then I would just stick to the 3 a-levels as 4 is alot of stress. I mean you could try 4 and see which you prefer??
Regarding subject choice, it depends what field you want to go into as computing is as strong as a subject as Biology and if anything is stronger.
Maths, accounting, economics
I enjoy maths for gcse was totally crap at it since I had bad teachers but enjoyed it self learnt most the content and it was fun but I messed up 2 of my papers for the exam :frown:
Accounting no idea it sounds good tho lol
economics might change since so much essays etc to physcics since i enjoy physics but idk man since its so hard and am not sure if ill go into a finance career or engineering
Original post by Chidowee
Maths, accounting, economics
I enjoy maths for gcse was totally crap at it since I had bad teachers but enjoyed it self learnt most the content and it was fun but I messed up 2 of my papers for the exam :frown:
Accounting no idea it sounds good tho lol
economics might change since so much essays etc to physcics since i enjoy physics but idk man since its so hard and am not sure if ill go into a finance career or engineering

Maths sound like a shout. Accounting is a weird one, if you are looking at the uni route then possibly avoid however if you are looking at a corporate apprenticeship then it's appreciated.
Physics gets no easier at alevel, found gcse simple but I struggle very much with alevel, if you are genuinely interested and aee willing to put in the extra hours then go for it.
Economics is a Marmite subject, I suck at English but like economics because it fits into the real world and is interesting however many people hate the subject. You really do have to try it out.
Maths sound like a shout. Accounting is a weird one, if you are looking at the uni route then possibly avoid however if you are looking at a corporate apprenticeship then it's appreciated.
Physics gets no easier at alevel, found gcse simple but I struggle very much with alevel, if you are genuinely interested and aee willing to put in the extra hours then go for it.
Economics is a Marmite subject, I suck at English but like economics because it fits into the real world and is interesting however many people hate the subject. You really do have to try it out.

wdym by accounting is a weird one? will it be a drawback for getting me into uni/not considered a proper a level

Quick Reply