The Student Room Group

Oxford University OR Cambridge University?

What were the reasons that made you to apply to either Cambridge or Oxford? Are there any specifics that helped sway your mind, or any bad experiences at either university? This also applies to current undergraduate prospective students, and why YOU are applying to this university...

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Cambridge because Oxford doesn't offer architecture, lol.
Original post by Andyboi
I applied to Cambridge because Oxford doesn't offer architecture, lol.

Ah ok, simple reason then! Are you currently studying in Cambridge?
Looking at what the course for your subject offers at each and how strong the department is is the most important factor (for me) followed by which city you'd like more I think
Original post by uponthyhorse
Looking at what the course for your subject offers at each and how strong the department is is the most important factor (for me) followed by which city you'd like more I think

You are applying for 2019 entry I assume? Which one interests you more?
Original post by chinkilicious
You are applying for 2019 entry I assume? Which one interests you more?

No I've already been through the cycle, this was just my thought process when I did apply (chose Cambridge because felt it was better for my subject, comp sci)

Edit: also look at whether your course is even offered at either lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uponthyhorse
No I've already been through the cycle, this was just my thought process when I did apply (chose Cambridge because felt it was better for my subject, comp sci)

Edit: also look at whether your course is even offered at either lol

yes, maths is offered at both. i havent really read into their course modules/units. did that part form a big part in your decision?
Reply 7
yes, maths is offered at both. i havent really read into their course modules/units. did that part form a big part in your decision?

There are some important differences in the application process.

Oxford has joint schools with Philosophy, with Computer Science, with Statistics whilst Cambridge doesn't do joint schools (though there are "one year streams" Maths + Physics, CompSci + Maths).

Oxford's course (first year at least) is slightly more pure heavy, Cambridge's more applied/physics heavy.

Both unis have maths-specific open days in April/May which would be useful to attend if you're able.
I visited both-liked both towns, slightly preferred Oxford.
Preferred the cambridge colleges over the oxford one. The cambridge course appealed to me more than the oxford one. Cambridge is smaller and more compact-my preference, it also supposedly recieves less tourists yearly.
Also the statistics worked more in my favour at cambridge in comparison to oxford

I'd really recommend looking into the modules, in my opinion that's one of the most important factors.
Look into the finances- if that's an issue for you (it'd certainly be for me :tongue:) And your future- what about doing your masters there? Are there research opportunities/campus placements? Of course, OxBridge have great options in the latter categories, but maybe throwing out these questions will help you decide.
I applied to Cambridge partly because I slightly preferred the course content, but mostly because I preferred the city. When I visited Oxford I felt it was basically just a huge bus route with some colleges hunkering around it. It was noisy and busy and dirty. Cambridge seemed greener, quieter, and more peaceful. I walked along the Backs and through the Fens and that pretty much sealed the deal :smile:
I applied to Cambridge for Economics and was fortunate enough to receive an offer this January. I liked the way that Cambridge taught economics: more mathematically and with a focus on quantitative analysis of social issues. Oxford doesn't teach straight economics for undergraduate degrees, instead focusing on either Economics & Management or PPE, neither of which are mathematically rigorous.
Original post by Parliament
I applied to Cambridge partly because I slightly preferred the course content, but mostly because I preferred the city. When I visited Oxford I felt it was basically just a huge bus route with some colleges hunkering around it. It was noisy and busy and dirty. Cambridge seemed greener, quieter, and more peaceful. I walked along the Backs and through the Fens and that pretty much sealed the deal :smile:

Oxford has some lovely river walks and green parts - both city centres are busy.
Original post by AzureCeleste
I visited both-liked both towns, slightly preferred Oxford.
Preferred the cambridge colleges over the oxford one. The cambridge course appealed to me more than the oxford one. Cambridge is smaller and more compact-my preference, it also supposedly recieves less tourists yearly.
Also the statistics worked more in my favour at cambridge in comparison to oxford

what do you mean the stats worked better in your favour? did you get lower GCSE'S?
Original post by RichE
There are some important differences in the application process.

Oxford has joint schools with Philosophy, with Computer Science, with Statistics whilst Cambridge doesn't do joint schools (though there are "one year streams" Maths + Physics, CompSci + Maths).

Oxford's course (first year at least) is slightly more pure heavy, Cambridge's more applied/physics heavy.

Both unis have maths-specific open days in April/May which would be useful to attend if you're able.

No, visiting their campuses on open days isn't possible. On their websites and prospectuses, their course outlines aren't very specific, but quite general. Or am I looking in the wrong places???
Original post by CompSciCat
I'd really recommend looking into the modules, in my opinion that's one of the most important factors.

Do you know where I can do that? They're not very specific on their websites...
Original post by 12to16ELEMENOP
Look into the finances- if that's an issue for you (it'd certainly be for me :tongue:) And your future- what about doing your masters there? Are there research opportunities/campus placements? Of course, OxBridge have great options in the latter categories, but maybe throwing out these questions will help you decide.

I think both places are roughly the same in terms of living costs. I know Cambridge covers your accommodation for all years. As regards to masters/bachelors, I still don't know yet.
Original post by Parliament

Can I ask if you got an offer etc?
what do you mean the stats worked better in your favour? did you get lower GCSE'S?

No, for my course in cambridge 1 in 4/5 applicants got in. In oxford it was much higher at about 1 in 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending