The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by thekidwhogames
Well, my school just messed up everything.

Update:
- will be taking new spec A level Maths this year (gotta learn it for a mock in 9 days :/)
- won't be taking A level FM this year; new spec isn't available so I will take the new spec (all pure content only, no applied) exam next year without going to the lessons

- got the Physics Olympiad tomorrow
- Maclaurin on thursday
- have science, English, french, computing exams but didn't start any of them due to Maths - rip

Wait what? Why can’t you do the old spec if you’ve pretty much learned the whole thing?
Well, my school just messed up everything.

Update:
- will be taking new spec A level Maths this year (gotta learn it for a mock in 9 days :/)
- won't be taking A level FM this year; new spec isn't available so I will take the new spec (all pure content only, no applied) exam next year without going to the lessons

- got the Physics Olympiad tomorrow
- Maclaurin on thursday
- have science, English, french, computing exams but didn't start any of them due to Maths - rip

How did your school mess it up? Wasn't it your fault for not checking ... btw, you can do AS F Maths this year.
Original post by Muttley79
How did your school mess it up? Wasn't it your fault for not checking ... btw, you can do AS F Maths this year.

Sorry, forgot to explain. My teachers told me at September I'll be taking the old spec and the modules originally planned but last week they had a meeting with me and said that they've been told apparently they cannot enter students this year for the old spec (I've shown them emails that say otherwise).

AS F Maths FP2 textbook (the new FP2) isn't out so there's no way for me to self-teach the content in time (since I'm not in lessons) so I'm just gonna have to take it next year.
Original post by Black Water
Wait what? Why can’t you do the old spec if you’ve pretty much learned the whole thing?

They've been told apparently they cannot enter students for the older spec (but they can) and they brought some guy in from Imperial Admission who advised doing new spec and more respected, etc.
Reply 224
They've been told apparently they cannot enter students for the older spec (but they can) and they brought some guy in from Imperial Admission who advised doing new spec and more respected, etc.

Wow that’s so unlucky considering you’ve been revising for it as well. At least you can take AS Further Maths this year. This happened because of some random guy who advised it?
Original post by Black Water
Wow that’s so unlucky considering you’ve been revising for it as well. At least you can take AS Further Maths this year. This happened because of some random guy who advised it?

Yeah, he's from the admission team so his word was pretty strong. Also they said because it'd affect my other GCSEs (which I'm sure it won't). A bit annoying.
Sorry, forgot to explain. My teachers told me at September I'll be taking the old spec and the modules originally planned but last week they had a meeting with me and said that they've been told apparently they cannot enter students this year for the old spec (I've shown them emails that say otherwise).

AS F Maths FP2 textbook (the new FP2) isn't out so there's no way for me to self-teach the content in time (since I'm not in lessons) so I'm just gonna have to take it next year.

I did tell you it was better not to take the old spec ...

Does your e-mail from Edexcel specifically say new candidates under 16 can take the old spec? Please post [without identifier] if it does.
Hey, I'm taking new spec A level Maths this year, how much of the content have you got left to do; how you finding it? I find the new spec papers harder than old spec just because of the new emphasis on modelling, other than it's fine.

Does your e-mail from Edexcel specifically say new candidates under 16 can take the old spec? Please post [without identifier] if it does.

Yeah sorry I should've listened but I've done then new topics whilst studying some Maths before.

Yeah, I asked if a year 11 could do it and they said yes.

I'll show an email from Pearson but folowing my school said yes but suddenly said no:
Capture.JPG
Original post by junky27
Hey, I'm taking new spec A level Maths this year, how much of the content have you got left to do; how you finding it? I find the new spec papers harder than old spec just because of the new emphasis on modelling, other than it's fine.

I've pretty much finished the content since I did the old spec and learnt the extra topics a while ago for fun. I've just gotta do some textbook exercises and then sample papers, etc.
Wow just by reading your posts you are literally dead serious about crashing this like a Oxbridge nerd!
Me I couldn't give two ****s about this whole studying thing, too much for my brain cells
Reply 231
Yeah, he's from the admission team so his word was pretty strong. Also they said because it'd affect my other GCSEs (which I'm sure it won't). A bit annoying.

Why does that matter though? As in, the old specification is available for this final year so how would taking the new one be better? You know it won’t affect your GCSE’s so I don’t really see the problem in you sitting it. It is annoying.

What were your reasons for that out of interest?
Original post by Notnek
What were your reasons for that out of interest?

He is in Year 11 - everyone else will have the new spec to offer when they apply to uni.

I don't think he's wise to take A levels alongside GCSEs - I don't think unis will be impressed. Personally I don't agree with acceleration anyway - plenty of other maths stuff to study rather than take A level early.
Reply 234
Thank you for this thread! It motivated me a lot.
I'd like to ask you a question: What level were you working at last year?

I'm in Year 10 and I'm currently working at around this level.
English Language: 7
English Literature: 7/8
Maths: 7/8
Further Maths: A
Combined Science: 5/6
Art: 9
Computing: 8/9
French: 5/6
Russian: A*
History: 6/7
PE Core: 6
Philosophy: 6/7

I moved to the UK a year and 1/2 ago from Russia and I'm finding the science very hard because the curriculum is different. Do you have any advice for studying the sciences as they seem to be your best subjects?

I'd also like to know, if I work very hard for the following year, would it be possible for me to achieve all 8/9? Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fhu
Thank you for this thread! It motivated me a lot.
I'd like to ask you a question: What level were you working at last year?

I'm in Year 10 and I'm currently working at around this level.
English Language: 7
English Literature: 7/8
Maths: 7/8
Further Maths: A
Combined Science: 5/6
Art: 9
Computing: 8/9
French: 5/6
Russian: A*
History: 6/7
PE Core: 6
Philosophy: 6/7

I moved to the UK a 1 1/2 ago from Russia and I'm finding the science very hard because the curriculum is different. Do you have any advice for studying the sciences as they seem to be your best subjects?

I'd also like to know, if I work very hard for the following year, would it be possible for me to achieve all 8/9? Thanks.

You are doing very well - if you work very hard you'll surely get all 8/9! Provided you do past paper questions.

Last year I was working at a 9 in the sciences, A* in Psychology, 8 in Lit and 6 in Lang (in school's boundaries), no grade for Computing as we didn't really do exams and a 8 in French (though we did older spec mocks which were easier). I sat RE and Maths that year and got A*/9 but I was working at A* in Maths and no overall grade in FM (as before I didn't know all the content).

If you're doing FM GCSE, I advise watching examsolutions.net for overlapping topics e.g. factor theorem, calculus, matrices. Working from year 10 would be very easy as it'd make year 11 less stressful meaning less cramming. For science, I'd use the revision guide and watch mygcsescience with past paper and worksheets.
He is in Year 11 - everyone else will have the new spec to offer when they apply to uni.

I don't think he's wise to take A levels alongside GCSEs - I don't think unis will be impressed. Personally I don't agree with acceleration anyway - plenty of other maths stuff to study rather than take A level early.

Why wouldn't unis be impressed? And would they be neutral or actually dislike it? If it does go well, all I can see is OP has good work ethic and motivation to cope with that workload and succeed, and how would unis see any differently? Though I dislike acceleration as well similarly to you, because exams are boring as hell. If you didn't notice he is keeping up with the "plenty of other maths stuff" by doing maths challenges and the like. And as a side note, nearly every time I see one of your posts I think to myself "god, they could stand to be a bit nicer."
Original post by I hate maths
Why wouldn't unis be impressed? And would they be neutral or actually dislike it? If it does go well, all I can see is OP has good work ethic and motivation to cope with that workload and succeed, and how would unis see any differently? Though I dislike acceleration as well similarly to you, because exams are boring as hell. If you didn't notice he is keeping up with the "plenty of other maths stuff" by doing maths challenges and the like. And as a side note, nearly every time I see one of your posts I think to myself "god, they could stand to be a bit nicer."

Unis want to see a string a good GCSEs grades FIRST - they would rather see someone doing non-exam stuff rather than acceleration. I've taught very able mathematicians that could have done this but they have been advised to read around the subject and do other things. I did say this earlier in the thread.

I could stand nicer? Good grief - you don't know me - just because I say it as it is - you cannot tell 'tone' from posts on the internet. I think it's your problem, not mine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Unis want to see a string a good GCSEs grades FIRST - they would rather see someone doing non-exam stuff rather than acceleration. I've taught very able mathematicians that could have done this but they have been advised to read around the subject and do other things. I did say this earlier in the thread.

I could stand nicer? Good grief - you don't know me - just because I sa it as it is - you cannot tell 'tone' from posts on the internet. I think it's your problem, not mine.

Yeah I agree that both maths AND further maths in year 11 is a tad overkill to be honest.
Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

You are so smart man, wish I was as smart as you. I don’t have enough time to get magnificent results like you, but I would be content with 6s in all subjects and a 9 in maths, 7 in business, and 8 in sports studies.

I chose Business as an A-Level subject but I would rather choose a science (even though I will probably drop it anyways). I’m thinking Biology since it will go with my sports but biology is my weakest science so I’m in a bit of a predicament :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending