The Student Room Group

Do i stay at uni or do an apprenticeship?

Hello, im in my first year of uni studying english language and im not particularly enjoying it (im not super passionate about it) and ive looked into other courses and i dont have the a levels subjects to potentially switch.

Do i stick it out for two more years and graduate potentially not knowing what i’m going to do? Because all i keep getting is with my degree you can go into anything - but that worries me.

Or do i do an apprenticeship in it security (level 4 foundation degree course) at my council in september?

Thanks,
Jamie
Original post by jmounsey
Hello, im in my first year of uni studying english language and im not particularly enjoying it (im not super passionate about it) and ive looked into other courses and i dont have the a levels subjects to potentially switch.

Do i stick it out for two more years and graduate potentially not knowing what i’m going to do? Because all i keep getting is with my degree you can go into anything - but that worries me.

Or do i do an apprenticeship in it security (level 4 foundation degree course) at my council in september?

Thanks,
Jamie

Depends. How do you fancy another two years of the same plus do you think you will get a good degree? Find out about second and third years and see whether you think that might inspire you? How good is the uni you are at?

Your alternative is to suspend your studies and then you can go and take a gap year to figure things out.

As for the apprenticeship and if you have been offered it, then you need to check as to how that affects your student finance.

Normally you have degree +1 gift year. That means you could do a different course and leave the current one, but as you indicate the IT apprenticeship involves a foundation degree, then that may interfere and continue to use up your student funding entitlement and make it difficult to finish a full degree, unless the council agree to cover all costs.

Otherwise a gap and an apprenticeship would be an option.

Ps you need to check with SFE how that level 4 will or may affect student funding. Post on the ask sfe forum.
Reply 2
Can you explain what you mean by the student finance situation?

And i go to newcastle university.
Can you explain what you mean by the student finance situation?

And i go to newcastle university.

You do not have infinite funding for degrees, is the long and short of it. You will normally have enough funding to cover the length of one degree plus an additional year of funding (for example if you have to retake a year, you'll be funded - once). After that you will need to pay tuition fees out of pocket for any years beyond your entitlement - and you have to pay these upfront.

It is better to leave earlier in the course and figure out what you want to do, so you can potentially go back and get a degree and still be funded for the duration (as you will have only used the "plus one" year aka the "gift year" at that point). In terms of A-levels, there are many subjects that don't have specific requirements. Most "arts" (i.e. non-STEM) courses, to begin with. The major exceptions being English Lit, which often requires it to A-level but they may be flexible, History which almost always requires the same, modern languages, business/economics/finance courses, which not infrequently require Maths, and sometimes Geography requires the same at A-level. Most other things (psychology, sociology, anthropology, law, politics, philosophy...etc, etc) don't as indicated though. Within the STEM realm, many courses have foundation years for those who didn't take relevant science subjects at A-level.

Beyond the above, an apprenticeship shouldn't affect your entitlement unless it includes a qualification equivalent to degree level study - you should confirm this with the course providers, and clarify with SFE, as above, if it would affect you. As it's a level 4 qualification, it may well affect it. Alternately, do the apprenticeship until you get your SIA badge then leave and look for security work elsewhere (depending on the level of the badge) :tongue:

However before considering changing degree, think carefully on whether a subject change will really make a difference - much of the nature of what you're doing is likely to be similar, and unless you have a burning passion for the subject it's likely you still won't particularly enjoy it/be very motivated. For this reason it may be better to take some time out to work and/or do an apprenticeship, and figure out what it is you really enjoy and want to do. It may be what you're already doing in the work/apprenticeship you're doing, or it may involve going back to uni. As above, leaving now leaves that as an option, muddling through and leaving later in the course makes it considerably more complicated to go back.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
You do not have infinite funding for degrees, is the long and short of it. You will normally have enough funding to cover the length of one degree plus an additional year of funding (for example if you have to retake a year, you'll be funded - once). After that you will need to pay tuition fees out of pocket for any years beyond your entitlement - and you have to pay these upfront.

It is better to leave earlier in the course and figure out what you want to do, so you can potentially go back and get a degree and still be funded for the duration (as you will have only used the "plus one" year aka the "gift year" at that point). In terms of A-levels, there are many subjects that don't have specific requirements. Most "arts" (i.e. non-STEM) courses, to begin with. The major exceptions being English Lit, which often requires it to A-level but they may be flexible, History which almost always requires the same, modern languages, business/economics/finance courses, which not infrequently require Maths, and sometimes Geography requires the same at A-level. Most other things (psychology, sociology, anthropology, law, politics, philosophy...etc, etc) don't as indicated though. Within the STEM realm, many courses have foundation years for those who didn't take relevant science subjects at A-level.

Beyond the above, an apprenticeship shouldn't affect your entitlement unless it includes a qualification equivalent to degree level study - you should confirm this with the course providers, and clarify with SFE, as above, if it would affect you. As it's a level 4 qualification, it may well affect it. Alternately, do the apprenticeship until you get your SIA badge then leave and look for security work elsewhere (depending on the level of the badge) :tongue:

However before considering changing degree, think carefully on whether a subject change will really make a difference - much of the nature of what you're doing is likely to be similar, and unless you have a burning passion for the subject it's likely you still won't particularly enjoy it/be very motivated. For this reason it may be better to take some time out to work and/or do an apprenticeship, and figure out what it is you really enjoy and want to do. It may be what you're already doing in the work/apprenticeship you're doing, or it may involve going back to uni. As above, leaving now leaves that as an option, muddling through and leaving later in the course makes it considerably more complicated to go back.

You don’t get a student loan within the council, or fees - its just you get paid weekly, so would it affect my uni degree?
You don’t get a student loan within the council, or fees - its just you get paid weekly, so would it affect my uni degree?

It's not the funding, but the qualification - there are restrictions on SFE funding if the funding is for an equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ). I'd suggest checking with SFE beforehand just to make sure (there is a forum here, Ask Student Finance England, where the SFE staff can answer queries - which avoids you having to wait on hold trying to call them :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest