The Student Room Group

Pets at uni

Soooo... I'm hopefully going uni in September to study Wildlife Conservation, and as you can probably guess from that course,I'm an animal lover. I have two rats, a hamster and two cats. Now I'm not stupid and I know I can't bring my cats but my family ABSOLUTELY DESPISE my rats and hamster and won't look after them when I'm gone. (They are scared of them but they are lovely little babies that don't cause anyone any harm.)

So I had a plan and wanted to know what you guys thought.. would it work etc. Have you guys had pets at uni and got away with it ??

We get a weeks notice before every inspection so, my plan is just hide the cage and pet stuff and take the rats and hamster out with me. (We don't have to be present for inspections) My pets are really well trained and will sit with me outside and come when called and what not and I always go outside with them.

I have also considered finding them a new home but thats just not an option. All three I rescued from neglectful homes and I don't want them passed on again. I also have thought about parties while at uni and I will just lock my room. They won't be in harms way as I love them and care for them properly.

Scroll to see replies

Not a good idea. Maintenance and staff can still enter your room if they need to. They should give notice, but if there's an urgent issue there may not be time to give you notice.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Not a good idea. Maintenance and staff can still enter your room if they need to. They should give notice, but if there's an urgent issue there may not be time to give you notice.

What would be an example of the urgent issue? We were told we always get a week's notice so we can tidy up lol.
Original post by Feebzie5
What would be an example of the urgent issue? We were told we always get a week's notice so we can tidy up lol.

Electrical issue, fire alarm issue etc.
I have my hamster in halls and I really wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Firstly, storage of the substrate takes up a lot of room, and like most halls I practically live in a shoebox already. To be fair I buy a horse-size bale of Aubiose to save money, and you could buy smaller bales but it will end up being more expensive that way. Have you seen your room yet? Because it is likely that there isn't really space for a decently sized hamster and rat cage. I've managed to get away with having my hambo so far by putting a blanket over the cage when inspections are carried out (the cage is a faff move myself, it's made of glass and longer than I am tall :tongue: ), but that also necessitates staying in for inspections so I can do something in case she decides to go for a run on her wheel or something :tongue:

Often when inspections are carried out they will give you one entire day as your 'slot', not a specific time. Are you going to carry all of your animals around for an entire day? Giving them to somebody else isn't really an option, as they usually inspect an entire flat/corridor/block at the same time.

My little hammy is the best but on reflection I wouldn't do this again :frown: I got her when I was privately renting and my landlord was cool with it after some bargaining, but many landlords have a blanket 'no pets' policy including for caged pets (they make up some BS about allergies for the next tenants), so that's something to consider for when you move out in second year.

I had to rehome my bunnies and rats when I first moved to university, and although it broke my heart especially as I'd previously rehomed some rats from someone who gave them up to go to university (which I'd disagreed with at the time although I didn't say it :frown: ) As much as it hurt, I definitely made the right decision with regards to their welfare :frown: They deserved more than I would have been able to provide.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I have my hamster in halls and I really wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Firstly, storage of the substrate takes up a lot of room, and like most halls I practically live in a shoebox already. To be fair I buy a horse-size bale of Aubiose to save money, and you could buy smaller bales but it will end up being more expensive that way. Have you seen your room yet? Because it is likely that there isn't really space for a decently sized hamster and rat cage. I've managed to get away with having my hambo so far by putting a blanket over the cage when inspections are carried out (the cage is a faff move myself, it's made of glass and longer than I am tall :tongue: ), but that also necessitates staying in for inspections so I can do something in case she decides to go for a run on her wheel or something :tongue:

Often when inspections are carried out they will give you one entire day as your 'slot', not a specific time. Are you going to carry all of your animals around for an entire day? Giving them to somebody else isn't really an option, as they usually inspect an entire flat/corridor/block at the same time.

My little hammy is the best but on reflection I wouldn't do this again :frown: I got her when I was privately renting and my landlord was cool with it after some bargaining, but many landlords have a blanket 'no pets' policy including for caged pets (they make up some BS about allergies for the next tenants), so that's something to consider for when you move out in second year.

I had to rehome my bunnies and rats when I first moved to university, and although it broke my heart especially as I'd previously rehomed some rats from someone who gave them up to go to university (which I'd disagreed with at the time although I didn't say it :frown: ) As much as it hurt, I definitely made the right decision with regards to their welfare :frown: They deserved more than I would have been able to provide.

I have seen my room, my currrent cages would easily fit, I have also looked at bed-sits in the area that allow pets. Its a little more expensive per month but I'd be willing to pay that.
I do the same with the bulk buys lol.
Do you think that I could give them to someone in a different block that doesn't have that day for inspection.

I hear what you're saying but as I'm sure you can relate to I couldn't bare giving them up (I'm also quite stubborn) xxx
Reply 6
I have friends that have pets in uni and from what I've heard from them I'd say that you shouldn't bring them along. Don't get me wrong I'm an animal lover aand would love to have my cats and dogs here with me and I've even considered sneaking in a couple of hamsters or mice but I really don't think it's a good idea. For starters if you bring hamsters/rats they will need cleaning out at least once or twice a week and even though now you're sure that you will do it that often, it will come to it and you really won't want to. Also uni rooms aren't exactly known for being huge so leaving animals in there can tend to make it smell a fair bit. You will also need to buy things for the animals while they are with you such as bedding and food and believe me, once you're a student you really really don't want to be paying out for extra things every week or two, you'll be broke enough as it is. Animals no matter how small are still a commitment and you need to think of whats best for you and them in the long run. Also a word of warning, if your flatmates hear that you have a pet in your room they might go and tell reception who will then tell you to get rid of it, that's what happened to a friend of mine.
What's going to happen when you want to visit home for Christmas or whenever? You can't rely on the idea that you might be able to find someone to look after them while you're gone (your flatmates might hate animals/you might have had to keep your animals a secret/everyone might also be going home at the same time as you), and travelling with animals is stressful for both you and them.
Reply 8
Soooo... I'm hopefully going uni in September to study Wildlife Conservation, and as you can probably guess from that course,I'm an animal lover. I have two rats, a hamster and two cats. Now I'm not stupid and I know I can't bring my cats but my family ABSOLUTELY DESPISE my rats and hamster and won't look after them when I'm gone. (They are scared of them but they are lovely little babies that don't cause anyone any harm.)

So I had a plan and wanted to know what you guys thought.. would it work etc. Have you guys had pets at uni and got away with it ??

We get a weeks notice before every inspection so, my plan is just hide the cage and pet stuff and take the rats and hamster out with me. (We don't have to be present for inspections) My pets are really well trained and will sit with me outside and come when called and what not and I always go outside with them.

I have also considered finding them a new home but thats just not an option. All three I rescued from neglectful homes and I don't want them passed on again. I also have thought about parties while at uni and I will just lock my room. They won't be in harms way as I love them and care for them properly.

Not a good idea in uni accommodation. All it takes is one unscheduled bit of maintenance or a hall mate ratting you out and you could end up disciplined. It's also just not wise in terms of space and everything.

Private renting is different. I had gerbils with me at uni and it was totally fine. Checked with my landlord if it would be okay and that was that. It was a house so there was plenty of space and most importantly it was allowed.

Is there absolutely nobody you know who could look after them for you? I know it really sucks, but it just isn't a good idea.
Reply 9
I'd be taking them home with me. Xx
Moving away for university is a big thing in it's self and the added stress of animals won't make it any easier. They say they'll give you a weeks notice for inspections but we had cleaners for the communal areas and maintenance people regularly visit.
Lots of people do have pets in halls but usually limited to fish or hamsters, I think rats would be pushing it as everything is bigger and harder to hide.

Would you be able to find someone to look after the rats for your first year and then once you move into private accommodation take them with you?
Our contract stated we could keep pets so we had rats and rabbits (plus chicks and lambs at Easter :rolleyes:) which the landlord would come and visit but don't underestimate how hard it is to find a landlord willing to accept pets - you'll likely have to pay an additional deposit too.
Reply 11
Spoken to flatmates too, the only issue is getting past inspections
I have also looked at bed-sits in the area that allow pets. Its a little more expensive per month but I'd be willing to pay that.

I wouldn't recommend sacrificing your student social life and social circle that you will build in halls/student accommodation for your hamster. On TSR, you see so many people that aren't enjoying the student experience and want to leave, more often than not it's because they opted to commute or live away from the students - the experience is killed massively.

I understand your affection for your pet, but I don't think that it's wise to take it to uni - looking at the bigger picture it's not worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by lwescott
Moving away for university is a big thing in it's self and the added stress of animals won't make it any easier. They say they'll give you a weeks notice for inspections but we had cleaners for the communal areas and maintenance people regularly visit.
Lots of people do have pets in halls but usually limited to fish or hamsters, I think rats would be pushing it as everything is bigger and harder to hide.

Would you be able to find someone to look after the rats for your first year and then once you move into private accommodation take them with you?
Our contract stated we could keep pets so we had rats and rabbits (plus chicks and lambs at Easter :rolleyes:) which the landlord would come and visit but don't underestimate how hard it is to find a landlord willing to accept pets - you'll likely have to pay an additional deposit too.

This is easier said than done as not many people like rats lol. and aaw thats so cute, hoping to move out to somewhere that allows pets in the second year. already been looking at places that allow pets xx
Reply 14
Original post by Roving Fish
I wouldn't recommend sacrificing your student social life and social circle that you will build in halls/student accommodation for your hamster. On TSR, you see so many people that aren't enjoying the student experience and want to leave, more often than not it's because they opted to commute or live away from the students - the experience is killed massively.

I understand your affection for your pet, but I don't think that it's wise to take it to uni - looking at the bigger picture it's not worth it.

True, but I have plenty of parties at home and caring for my ratties and hammie doesn't affect it too much, I also just thought of another thing, my rats are 2 years old and my hamster is 3. I don't want to miss out on what could be the last part of their little lives.

Thanks everyone for your comments though xx
True, but I have plenty of parties at home and caring for my ratties and hammie doesn't affect it too much, I also just thought of another thing, my rats are 2 years old and my hamster is 3. I don't want to miss out on what could be the last part of their little lives.

Thanks everyone for your comments though xx

That's not what I mean by that, I mean by living away from campus in a bedsit would massively affect your involvement and participation, ultimately your relationships that are crucial in the first couple of months of uni. I graduated a few years ago now and I've seen it happen to so many people. :smile:

I completely understand your attachment and wanting to have your pets with them, but you might need to look objectively at the situation - which is what I'm trying to do.
I have seen my room, my currrent cages would easily fit, I have also looked at bed-sits in the area that allow pets. Its a little more expensive per month but I'd be willing to pay that.
I do the same with the bulk buys lol.
Do you think that I could give them to someone in a different block that doesn't have that day for inspection.

I hear what you're saying but as I'm sure you can relate to I couldn't bare giving them up (I'm also quite stubborn) xxx

In that case I am envious of your palatial halls room :tongue:

I think you could do without the stress of moving your animals around that much. What if you're spotted by halls staff while you're doing that? What if no one is willing to take them? What if they're inspecting all of the rooms in the building on the same day? How are your animals going to deal with things like the fire alarm constantly going off?

Honestly while it was painful for me, I don't regret giving my animals up like I did. It meant they had a better quality of life than I would have been able to provide, and after years of companionship that is the very least they deserved. I know bunnies and rats isn't equivalent to rats and a hamster, but it meant my buns had more space to run around, had a much better diet, and probably had more time spent on them.

I'm sure you don't need me to remind you about vet fees either. Those are unpredictable, how are you going to factor those into your student budget? I bet you know that ratty lives generally end in mammary tumours and/or respiratory disease, are you sure you can afford surgery/antibiotics/euthanasia? That's assuming too that there are no emergencies and nothing happens out of hours. I once paid £120 for one of my rats to have a consult and a few minutes of oxygen before being euthanised out of hours, and that wasn't even in the most expensive time bracket.

It seems you've made up your mind already, but I would genuinely consider whether you are able to offer the best possible care for your animals. My pets were my absolute world and for a very long time I was adamant that I would take them to halls with me, but in the end I had to be realistic and accept that I would have been sacrificing their quality of life to save myself the heartbreak. And that just wasn't fair.
(edited 6 years ago)
They give notice for inspections, but where I am you get maintenance turning up at pretty random times to do fire alarm and water checks. Sometimes notice for those was given on the day and then you sometimes don't read the email 'cause you've been having a lie in and then suddenly you get the knock whilst you're still half comatose in just your pants. That said, in my halls those people don't really care what you had in your room so long as you didn't have like drugs and a campfire or some ****. That might be different at other places though.

So I think logistically speaking it's plausible, however do take advice from people that actually have animals. I only have dogs at home and they're un-smuggleable (i have now invented a word) so anything related to actually taking care of animals while at uni I know nothing about.

A plumber came round to my house when i wasnt in
i love my animals too but had to leave them at home, for one woodshavings and stuff are expensive which i couldnt afford on a student budget and my room is small so i doubt me and a bed and 2 6ft cages would fit in here
Is it possible? Yes.
Is it good for your pets? No.
Halls are not a place where pets can live happy lives. The noise, fire alarms and constant anxiety of the wrong person finding them doesn’t make either of you happy. I would recommend you think of what is best for your pets, being rehomed to a nice family who play with them a lot and have a calm environment, or being hidden in a hectic and noisy student halls. It’s hard to part from your beloved pets but as their caregiver it’s your responsibility to make sure they have happy lives.

Quick Reply

Latest