The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toastiekid
no:biggrin:
My school give us the opportunity to do the imc this year but we’re not offered the chance to do the smc.

Ah, I'm guessing you're doing IMC then? I've sat SMC and waiting patiently for IMC :tongue:
KCLMS does this thing called "Extension" where your whole Wednesday afternoon was dedicated to SMC and STMC problems, before it was changed to the King's Certificate. If you've got any interview questions do feel free to ask. I had my interview on January 14th last year (I think) and got an offer on February 1st.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Ah, I'm guessing you're doing IMC then? I've sat SMC and waiting patiently for IMC :tongue:

Yeah I’m doing the IMC:smile:
That’s cool that you do the SMC now, how did you do?
Yeah I’m doing the IMC:smile:
That’s cool that you do the SMC now, how did you do?

I managed to get a gold (and best in my school) but unfortunately was 2 off the BMO threshold :/

But i'm really excited for IMC! How you revising?
I managed to get a gold (and best in my school) but unfortunately was 2 off the BMO threshold :/

But i'm really excited for IMC! How you revising?

Well done Gold is awesome!:biggrin:
And you’ve got the next few years to meet the BMO threshold:tongue:
Tbh I never really knew much about the maths challenges till after I sat the IMC last year, normally my school tell us the day before (so I somehow got silver with no prep!)
I think I’ll do some qs on dr frost maths and go through some of his PowerPoints on solving the qs as I’m not the strongest at the questions :smile: I guess you’re aiming to get through to one of the next rounds?! I’d be happy with gold:h:
Well done Gold is awesome!:biggrin:
And you’ve got the next few years to meet the BMO threshold:tongue:
Tbh I never really knew much about the maths challenges till after I sat the IMC last year, normally my school tell us the day before (so I somehow got silver with no prep!)
I think I’ll do some qs on dr frost maths and go through some of his PowerPoints on solving the qs as I’m not the strongest at the questions :smile: I guess you’re aiming to get through to one of the next rounds?! I’d be happy with gold:h:

Thank you - really appreciate it!
Yeah same, I discovered them last year when I did the IMC for the first time. Last year I got a silver in the IMC too I believe but this year I got Kangaroo in SMC - for not prepping, that is an amazing feat; well done!

Ah yeah that is a great revision site. I also recommend these:

- http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resources/browse.php?tid=102-
- http://www.interactive-maths.com/ukmt-random-question-generator.html
- http://www.ukmt-resources.org.uk/index-tr.html
http://vle.woodhouse.ac.uk/topicdocs/maths/smchome.htm

You can go through the slides for the IMC and then do all the IMC worksheets followed by all the IMC past papers from the resources page. Do the same thing for SMC (ppts, worksheets, past papers). Once you finish both stacks, you should be on track for qualifying for the Maclaurin Olympiad! Doing SMC worksheets and papers especially help as they're harder and thus the SMC questions 20+ = IMC 24/25.
Yeah, I'm aiming to get through to the Olympiad as it's my last year. I got 20 questions correct on SMC so I'm hoping I can get 22-ish for IMC.
Thank you - really appreciate it!
Yeah same, I discovered them last year when I did the IMC for the first time. Last year I got a silver in the IMC too I believe but this year I got Kangaroo in SMC - for not prepping, that is an amazing feat; well done!

Ah yeah that is a great revision site. I also recommend these:

- http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resources/browse.php?tid=102-
- http://www.interactive-maths.com/ukmt-random-question-generator.html
- http://www.ukmt-resources.org.uk/index-tr.html
http://vle.woodhouse.ac.uk/topicdocs/maths/smchome.htm

You can go through the slides for the IMC and then do all the IMC worksheets followed by all the IMC past papers from the resources page. Do the same thing for SMC (ppts, worksheets, past papers). Once you finish both stacks, you should be on track for qualifying for the Maclaurin Olympiad! Doing SMC worksheets and papers especially help as they're harder and thus the SMC questions 20+ = IMC 24/25.
Yeah, I'm aiming to get through to the Olympiad as it's my last year. I got 20 questions correct on SMC so I'm hoping I can get 22-ish for IMC.

Thank you! These look awesome, I’ll definitely look over them these holidays (I get the feeling the next term is going to go really quickly!) well done on the kangaroo :smile: I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly in the IMC :biggrin: and get to that Olympiad! Good luck with your interview for king’s as well (you seem like you’ll definitely get a place) I’m v nervous for mine:s-smilie: I’ve not done a proper interview before (especially not one where I’m being judged!)
Thank you! These look awesome, I’ll definitely look over them these holidays (I get the feeling the next term is going to go really quickly!) well done on the kangaroo :smile: I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly in the IMC :biggrin: and get to that Olympiad! Good luck with your interview for king’s as well (you seem like you’ll definitely get a place) I’m v nervous for mine:s-smilie: I’ve not done a proper interview before (especially not one where I’m being judged!)

No problem, and thank you! Likewise, I'm sure you will get a gold and hopefully get onto the Olympaid too!

Don't worry about it - if you got an interview you are more likely to get a place! Just answer their questions to the utmost detail you can and try and understand what they teach you. I'm sure you'll be attending King's! I'm actually not going King's sixth form - I'm staying at my school's sixth from (Chelsea Academy). I only applied to King's in order to do the entrance exam (as I love maths challenges) and to see the difficulty of the application process and I gotta say I loved the entrance exam!
No problem, and thank you! Likewise, I'm sure you will get a gold and hopefully get onto the Olympaid too!

Don't worry about it - if you got an interview you are more likely to get a place! Just answer their questions to the utmost detail you can and try and understand what they teach you. I'm sure you'll be attending King's! I'm actually not going King's sixth form - I'm staying at my school's sixth from (Chelsea Academy). I only applied to King's in order to do the entrance exam (as I love maths challenges) and to see the difficulty of the application process and I gotta say I loved the entrance exam!

:smile: Thank you!
I found the exam quite confusing initially like it wasn’t being very obvious with what it wanted you to do:biggrin: but I suppose looking back the questions were interesting and nice to solve:tongue:
Good luck with GCSEs and A-levels and the IMC!
:smile: Thank you!
I found the exam quite confusing initially like it wasn’t being very obvious with what it wanted you to do:biggrin: but I suppose looking back the questions were interesting and nice to solve:tongue:
Good luck with GCSEs and A-levels and the IMC!

Yeah, the questions were very interesting! Especially 18/19 (the area one and the integer one)!

Thank you - you too!
HI!!
So it's been a while since the offers were published....How did it turn out???
Original post by Krishi_G
HI!!
So it's been a while since the offers were published....How did it turn out???

For me it was great:h:
Did you apply?
For me it was great:h:
Did you apply?

Yes I did
Did you get a place?
Original post by Krishi_G
Yes I did
Did you get a place?

Yes:h: did you?
Yes:h: did you?

Yup
Reply 55
Do you know when we have the day where we meet all the students?
Original post by Cil3258
Do you know when we have the day where we meet all the students?

It's usually in late June/early July - KCLMS parent here :-)
Reply 57
Hi all, sorry to bump a dead thread, but I'm thinking of applying this year (Sept 2019 admission), and want have a few questions for anyone who's done the exam.Firstly, I just wanted to know if I'm way out of my league or not. What sort of abilities are the people who apply?Secondly, is the exam heavy on UKMT-style questions or not?Finally, any revision strategies/tips for anyone who did it?Cheers all, and good luck if you're also trying for this year!
Original post by unikw
Hi all, sorry to bump a dead thread, but I'm thinking of applying this year (Sept 2019 admission), and want have a few questions for anyone who's done the exam.Firstly, I just wanted to know if I'm way out of my league or not. What sort of abilities are the people who apply?Secondly, is the exam heavy on UKMT-style questions or not?Finally, any revision strategies/tips for anyone who did it?Cheers all, and good luck if you're also trying for this year!

The range of ability, I think, is quite wide. In my year we had someone who took A Level Maths during his GCSE year, someone who consistently came near the top every year in competitions like MOG, someone who got a place at MIT, but also people were less academic (like myself) but enjoyed Maths a lot.
The questions are more similar to the UKMT than anything - but they aren't in someways. If the specimen paper is still online, do it, it shows the style of questions you will be asked - and once you've done it, go over the mark scheme carefully. Other than that, use UKMT papers. I think the content isn't supposed to go past KS3 level (or that's what they said when I sat it), so Intermediate papers should be fine.
I don't know how helpful this is, but honestly, just give it a shot - the worst thing that could happen is you won't get in (but you don't lose anything) and the best thing that could happen is that you get a place at a great school.
Good luck!
Reply 59
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
The range of ability, I think, is quite wide. In my year we had someone who took A Level Maths during his GCSE year, someone who consistently came near the top every year in competitions like MOG, someone who got a place at MIT, but also people were less academic (like myself) but enjoyed Maths a lot.
The questions are more similar to the UKMT than anything - but they aren't in someways. If the specimen paper is still online, do it, it shows the style of questions you will be asked - and once you've done it, go over the mark scheme carefully. Other than that, use UKMT papers. I think the content isn't supposed to go past KS3 level (or that's what they said when I sat it), so Intermediate papers should be fine.
I don't know how helpful this is, but honestly, just give it a shot - the worst thing that could happen is you won't get in (but you don't lose anything) and the best thing that could happen is that you get a place at a great school.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful. I'm going to have to do some UKMT practice. I'm really good at the GCSE papers, but UKMT style always trips me up.

Latest