The Student Room Group

Is this exceptional/mitigating circumstances for an A level?

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm completely wrong but if anyone could help/give me advice I'd be very grateful.

I take Law A level - I completed my AS last year, achieving an A in both exams. My teacher left at Christmas(2017) but had covered all of Unit 3 - which accounts to one exam of the two exams for my A2 Law. However, the replacement teacher left, without saying anything to anyone, over the last half term, leaving us without a teacher for unit 4. We have covered theory for property but only copied notes for the concept part of the exam, as we were going to draft and learn them when we came back. I have been told nobody will be employed now, so basically we have been left with copied notes from a powerpoint and no teacher - we have nobody to even mark any questions etc. Is this a mitigating/exceptional circumstance that AQA would take into account? Also, is this something I should contact my first choice university about?

I don't know if this is enough to be mitigating but any advice would be very welcome. Thank you for reading!
Reply 1
You would not be eligible for special consideration for the exams - the rules say:
2.3 Candidates will NOT be eligible for special consideration if preparation for or performance in the examination is affected by:
2.3.9 staff shortages, building work or lack of facilities;

However, in the circumstances the school should contact universities and see if they are prepared to give you some leeway - ask them.
Original post by amberleigh2699
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm completely wrong but if anyone could help/give me advice I'd be very grateful.

I take Law A level - I completed my AS last year, achieving an A in both exams. My teacher left at Christmas(2017) but had covered all of Unit 3 - which accounts to one exam of the two exams for my A2 Law. However, the replacement teacher left, without saying anything to anyone, over the last half term, leaving us without a teacher for unit 4.

As Compost says get your Head of Sixth Form to write to your Firm and insurance explaining the issues. I've written such letters before; it need to come from the school.
Original post by Compost
You would not be eligible for special consideration for the exams - the rules say:
2.3 Candidates will NOT be eligible for special consideration if preparation for or performance in the examination is affected by:
2.3.9 staff shortages, building work or lack of facilities;

However, in the circumstances the school should contact universities and see if they are prepared to give you some leeway - ask them.

Thank you so much!
Original post by Muttley79
As Compost says get your Head of Sixth Form to write to your Firm and insurance explaining the issues. I've written such letters before; it need to come from the school.

Thank you! :smile:
Compost and Muttley have deal with it, but were I studying, then I would just get on with it an would have been factoring this in since the subject came under stress.

You can get some revision books and cover unit 4 yourself. No time to be thinking how hard done by you are and instead you should be making the most of the situation. Practice exams. Look for books that have questions and answers. Common at undergraduate level, but they might do less demanding ones for A level. Which topic 4 option? Which exam board?
Original post by 999tigger
Compost and Muttley have deal with it, but were I studying, then I would just get on with it an would have been factoring this in since the subject came under stress.

You can get some revision books and cover unit 4 yourself. No time to be thinking how hard done by you are and instead you should be making the most of the situation. Practice exams. Look for books that have questions and answers. Common at undergraduate level, but they might do less demanding ones for A level. Which topic 4 option? Which exam board?

Seeing as I have been back for two weeks I have been doing multiple past papers myself, I just can't get them marked by anyone. Of course I can look through the mark schemes but without having marked papers before, I have no clue what I would be graded at.

I take AQA and my concepts are 'law and morality', 'Law and justice' and 'balancing conflicting interests'.
Original post by amberleigh2699
Seeing as I have been back for two weeks I have been doing multiple past papers myself, I just can't get them marked by anyone. Of course I can look through the mark schemes but without having marked papers before, I have no clue what I would be graded at.

I take AQA and my concepts are 'law and morality', 'Law and justice' and 'balancing conflicting interests'.

I would but this and this or if you cant afford then try and get from the library. They state they have tests in them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nature-Law-AQA-Eduqas-Level/dp/1982032278/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520779523&sr=8-5&keywords=aqa+a+level++law&dpID=51axLvTrB8L&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Criminal-Concepts-ebook/dp/B00JKL5QIG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520779652&sr=8-7&keywords=aqa+a+level++law

Quick Reply

Latest