The Student Room Group

I don’t believe in science

Scroll to see replies

Do you even paradigm ?

:holmes:
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Nice answer! I somewhat agree :biggrin:

The only reason I can't trust scientific theory alone is because, whilst it successfully tells us what there is in the universe and what occured, it can't tell us how things occured, nor can it give us a reason why they occured

Science will never be able to give the full perspective but it is definitely a model which aims to describe and make predictions about the universe to our best current understanding. Religion, on the other hand, makes no testable predictions at all.

To make any scientific prediction we make a premise of time. There was nothing before the big bang because space and time didn't exist. How can something exist before time if the word "before" requires time as a premise?

If God does exist, I believe that God invented logic, because for mathematics to exist (the fundamental language in which physics describes the universe) there has to be a reason as to why math makes sense at all. Why is it that 2+2 is undeniably 4?

The thing that fascinates me is that in order for us to even be aware that the universe exists, there has to be consciousness. Without our awareness, the universe doesn't exist for us at all - there is no reality.

Scientists are trying to get to the bottom of what consciousness actually is by looking at our brains. We know our brain is the key towards consciousness and we know they are made of neurons. A signal made by a neuron is simply an electrical impulse - the movement of Na+ and K+ ions, powered by a concentration gradient formed by the Na+/K+ pump. We know it is the charge on the ions that causes them to move. Electrons are responsible for charge. Maybe it is simply a dynamic pattern of the movement of electrons that causes consciousness to arise? Under the quantum field theory - the most complete and reliable theory to date - electrons are just simply an excitation of the quantum field. The quantum field is what encompasses all of our universe. Even in a perfect vacuum, there exists a quantum field with particles constantly coming in and out of existence.

In reality there is no such thing as atoms, electrons, as a matter of fact, ANY PARTICLES AT ALL. Everything is simply an excitation in a quantum field. This is fact. The quantum field is divided into subfields, such as the electromagnetic field, the higgs field and so on. It follows that all our reality really is is just an excitation in the quantum field.
Sounds like Night King has been hacked by Got Milk... :ninja:
Ahahahah savage Night King savage xD
Original post by cat_mac
Sounds like Night King has been hacked by Got Milk... :ninja:

Also yes, but I think Night King is genuinely religious. Although how he watches Rick and Morty while spouting anti science stuff is beyond me...
You are science
u owe me chocolate bish
Original post by getmeoffmyphone
Also yes, but I think Night King is genuinely religious. Although how he watches Rick and Morty while spouting anti science stuff is beyond me...

ROFL no way, your kidding right??? This guy is anything but religious he makes fun of muslims, christians, he makes fun of everyone and everything. Look at his troll threads. Even this whole thread seems extremely satirical to portray Christians in a bad light. I really dont understand why he has not been permanently banned already when other people get banned in seconds.

I didnt want to post this on my main account on here cause I dont want to get banned since mods love Night King so much. Shouldnt be on this website any longer!
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I think the reason people are calling OP is a troll is through mere bad wording. You can't not believe in science, since science = proven fact. I think what OP means is, he doesn't believe in the theories surrounding evolution. That's all evolution and the Big Bang theory are - they're just that. Theories. They're not a science, they're a hypothesis. Same reason I'm agnostic, is because I don't believe such things until they're proven.

Just theories? You mean they are so well respected and undeniable that they are called THEORIES. Theory of gravity. Pythagoras' Theorem. Number Theory. General theory of relativity. People are really not understanding what a scientific theory is. A theory is not a hypothesis - it HAS TO BE proven through repeated observation and experiment OTHERWISE IT IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC THEORY.

You can come up with your own ideas but they are NOT SCIENTIFIC THEORY. They would be just ideas. A scientific theory isn't something you can pull out of your ass, it has to be repeatedly observed through experiment.

"Theories surrounding evolution". There is only one theory of evolution (there arent theories), and it is the only SCIENTIFIC THEORY which has repeatedly been observed to be the mechanism which gives rise to new species. We can see it in our labs. It is undeniable!
Huh. I’ve never seen his bad posts before :O
Original post by getmeoffmyphone
Huh. I’ve never seen his bad posts before :O

All his posts are bad. He is just a s*** user.
No you just smell full stop. Go take a shower you stinky bum
Ohhh damn :wink:
Original post by MediMate
Under the quantum field theory - the most complete and reliable theory to date - electrons are just simply an excitation of the quantum field. The quantum field is what encompasses all of our universe. Even in a perfect vacuum, there exists a quantum field with particles constantly coming in and out of existence.

In reality there is no such thing as atoms, electrons, as a matter of fact, ANY PARTICLES AT ALL. Everything is simply an excitation in a quantum field. This is fact. The quantum field is divided into subfields, such as the electromagnetic field, the higgs field and so on. It follows that all our reality really is is just an excitation in the quantum field.

So what exactly is a quantum field if it's not just another refined theory for modelling behaviour? It's a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

Theories are accepted - as if they are fact - in order to progress until observations contradict that theory. At which point a new theory is developed.

None of it explains why the universe exists.
Reply 74
Original post by uberteknik
So what exactly is a quantum field if it's not just another refined theory for modelling behaviour? It's a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

Theories are accepted - as if they are fact - in order to progress until observations contradict that theory. At which point a new theory is developed.

None of it explains why the universe exists.

Does there need to be a why as opposed to a how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Doonesbury
Does there need to be a why as opposed to a how?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No there does not.
Reply 76
Original post by gjd800
No there does not.

Why?
Reply 77
Why?

Because meaning isn't a necessary or sufficient condition of existence.
Reply 78
Original post by gjd800
Because meaning isn't a necessary or sufficient condition of existence.

And neither was my rhetorical question.
Reply 79
And neither was my rhetorical question.

:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest