The Student Room Group

Why do mothers favour their sons

From my experience, mothers have a closer relationship with their sons than daughters. They are more lenient towards their sons. For example, they would do cooking and cleaning for sons. But when the daughters ask she will tell them to do it herself.

Are sons easier to deal with for mothers than daughters?

Scroll to see replies

Oh I thought this was an Asian thing; training the daughter to do the work.
Reply 2
No I've seen it in general.
Look up Sigmuend Freud interpretation of dreams. That should give you the answer.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
No I've seen it in general.

:dontknow:
Fathers are also more closer to their daughters.
Original post by GreenBell
Fathers are also more closer to their daughters.

This is so true. I'm closer with my mother than father. He was closer with his own mother than his father (I think), and is closer with my sister than me. It almost always is the case.
Original post by Joe2001
This is so true. I'm closer with my mother than father. He was closer with his own mother than his father (I think), and is closer with my sister than me. It almost always is the case.

Yes, most families are like that. It's interesting.
I've noticed my mother and I are a lot closer, and my dad is more lenient with my sister. Really quite an interesting phenomenon.
Original post by GreenBell
Yes, most families are like that. It's interesting.

A lot of it is down to personality as well. My sister is more like my father who in turn, is more like my grandmother.
I am more like my mother, and I'm led to believe that she was closer with her own father (sadly he died when she was 18).
Original post by Anonymous
I've noticed my mother and I are a lot closer, and my dad is more lenient with my sister. Really quite an interesting phenomenon.

Yeah I have seen this too. When daughters ask their dad for money they give. But when sons ask dad it takes longer to get it. Mothers treat differently as in make boys do less housework, lenient rules ie they don't question boys as much if they come home late when compared to girls
Just like dads are more closer to their daughters
Reply 12
Maybe they have an idea or experience of what their own gender should do, i.e "when I was his age my dad told me to get a job"
Because they're subconsciously always more attracted to the opposite sex. Even non sexually. I notice the same with pets. As in people often prefer their pet of opposite gender.
I don't have any brothers, but i have 3 uncles and 2 aunties (+ mum). and my mum is my grandmother's and grandfather's favourite child. lol i think parents prefer their eldest child.
(edited 6 years ago)
Men and women just have a different type of bond than same sex relationships.

yin / yang

And people of hte same sex are more competitive with each other as well because there are less differences between them. Men and women don't really compete with each other as much because they're way different from each other.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think in Asian culture this is true because they tend to think that men:
- provide for the family
- have dominance in marriages and also keep the surname

Otherwise i don’t agree that this statement is true and even the one i just made was a generalisation.
Reply 17
My Mam prefers her daughters, and she doesn't even have any.
I think ive mostly noticed fathers being closer to their daughters and moms being closer to their sons. I dont know why but thats what ive noticed
Mine doesn’t, she hates me. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending