The Student Room Group

Entry in Medicine as a mature student

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm Irish and I have just moved to the UK. I have an undergraduate degree in Chemistry but unfortunately got a 2:2... Although I received this from a prestigious university in Ireland where other universities in Ireland will consider this a 2:1.. but this isn't the case in the UK. I really want to do medicine but my past education just doesn't cut it.

So I want to know what my next move should be? I have considered doing A-Levels as I have looked at the course content and past exams and they seem like they'll be pretty easy with my educational background and I'm confident I could do very well. But is this something that will be accepted by the universities in the UK?

I would also be interested in doing graduate entry medicine but I don't know if this is possible anywhere with my 2:2!

I just need some advice about what to do now? I'm willing to do any course/get any qualification to gain entry into medicine.
Yes, it's possible. See here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

As you have a degree, you're classed as a graduate...it would be dishonest to exclude that from an application and substitute in recent A-level grades as if you hadn't taken a degree. Focus that effort into something like the GAMSAT!

Nottingham may be your best bet if you do well enough :no:, though you could also do a masters and be eligible to apply for the one true medical school :yes:
Reply 2
So just focus on the GAMSAT and the GEM courses that take 2.2's? Also that was the original plan. I'm currently on a masters course but I'm worried that even with the masters the universities won't look past the 2.2 and I'm not willing to waste another 2 years if that's going to happen. Just trying to figure out all of my options :u:

I completely agree btw, doing A-levels seems insane..

Original post by Swansea Medic
Yes, it's possible. See here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

As you have a degree, you're classed as a graduate...it would be dishonest to exclude that from an application and substitute in recent A-level grades as if you hadn't taken a degree. Focus that effort into something like the GAMSAT!

Nottingham may be your best bet if you do well enough :no:, though you could also do a masters and be eligible to apply for the one true medical school :yes:
Original post by xLola92x
So just focus on the GAMSAT and the GEM courses that take 2.2's? Also that was the original plan. I'm currently on a masters course but I'm worried that even with the masters the universities won't look past the 2.2 and I'm not willing to waste another 2 years if that's going to happen. Just trying to figure out all of my options :u:

I completely agree btw, doing A-levels seems insane..

Yep.

Swansea :crown:, Kings and Nottingham. Get at least a merit on your masters and the first 2 will consider you (with a good GAMSAT). Notts require a higher GAMSAT score than those applicants with 2:1s.

It's really just a tickbox, no one cares that you have a 2:2 if you have what it takes to be a doctor (and show this at interview)

Going by this year, a score of 62+ is enough for interviews everywhere. There is no certainty with anything but if you want it, keep plodding on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending