The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
You are doing it again. Why must you lie against me? I have never called a woman a gold digger or whore.

Original post by cherryred90s
Also assumes that women are responsible for financial breakdown within a marriage but claims to not be sexist

LOL exactly. He is so transparent about this.
This is a highly uneducated opinion of what gender equality means and what women want from their lives, do you have any right to assume what women require from dating?

Please PLEASE do some research on the gender-pay gap because it does exist as women are assumed to be the major caregiver to children to the extent that they have to persuade their employer they won't be having children anytime soon. Ask your self why are the majority of high-ranking positions in politics, business and media men?

As a human being with a vagina i will tell you what I want from dating.
No I don't expect people to pay for me at dinner, if he choses to buy me a gift thats not because he HAS to it's because he WANTS to and I would return the favour.

Your domestic work argument is ridiculous, you know why men should help with the housework, BECAUSE ITS YOUR HOUSE TOO.

You have already contradicted yourself by suggesting the male is the 'main breadwinner' do you know why, the gender-pay gap.

I'm assuming that you are straight so I'm guessing you've never given a guy oral sex, but let me tell you it aches your jaw, you are expected to swallow without warning and make sexual noises simultaneously, I speak for the majority of women when I say that it is for the man's benefit. Not the women's.

Your point about men 'bottling up emotions' is part of what feminism is fighting for, it's not women viewing men as 'unmanly' as gender socialization telling you that you have to conform to a masculine identity.

I don't blame you for your opinions, being brought up in a media-saturated is teaching you how you should view the other gender, but please realise we are human beings too, why can't we be equal? what is so terrifying about that?

Privilege is invisible to those that have it. Just count yourself lucky you don't wake up everyday to smack your head on a glass ceiling. :smile:

Original post by snowman77
This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job":wink:
- pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
- propose to the woman
- treat her with meals/gifts
- hold open the door for her
- give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
- put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
- be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
- household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
LOL exactly. He is so transparent about this.

Enough of this BS
Enough of this BS

TEMPER TANTRUM.png
You need to calm down.

Deflecting looks good on you

You lot need to stop putting words in my mouth. I wrote that financial problems are a major determinant for divorces, of which a reason for such problems may be some women appearing to be gold-diggers.

You said that finance troubles occur where women appear to be gold diggers. Why even mention women? It’s a sexist assumption, especially given that you don’t actually know the reasons for the financial breakdown.
(edited 6 years ago)
Deflecting looks good on you

You said that finance troubles occur where women appear to be gold diggers. Why even mention women? Especially since you don’t actually know the reasons for the financial breakdown.

I have explained this to another poster. I gave an example of subsets of financial problems. As we are on a thread focused on women, i mentioned women. If this was a thread focused on men, i would have had men on serious blast.
I have explained this to another poster. I gave an example of subsets of financial problems. As we are on a thread focused on women, i mentioned women. If this was a thread focused on men, i would have had men on serious blast.

Another reach that makes absolutely no sense.

Making a statement talking about women in a negative light when you have no evidence to back up your claim is stupid, irrespective of what the thread is about
Original post by Tiger Rag
A minority do. But I find it hard to believe that most do. Which is what you're implying here.

Youre missing the point here. All woman treat him like theyre a Gold digger to get some action because his not man enough or handsome enough.

This thread has been bombarded by Gold digger comments because of this bloke. Im too overwhelmed to go through them all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Another reach that makes absolutely no sense.

Making a statement talking about women in a negative light when you have no evidence to back up your claim is stupid, irrespective of what the thread is about

Ok
Original post by ChaserX
Youre missing the point here. All woman treat him like a Gold digger to get some action because his not man enough or handsome enough.

This threat has been bombarded by Gold digger comments because of this bloke. Im too overwhelmed to go through them all.

Ok.
I aint sayin' she's a gold digger, but she aint messing with no broke...
lol.ok
Is that all you've got? :lol:

Money = not a part of him
Looks = a physical part of her

If you care about money so much, why don't you get a sugar daddy? Clearly you're not bothered about men, you just want their money.

Looks = a part of her

If you care about money so much, why don't you get a sugar daddy? Clearly you're not bothered about men, you just want their money.

lol...
lol...
You're a gold digger. Can't you earn and provide for yourself? :lol:

Just get him to transfer his weekly wages to your bank account while he doesn't get to see you. It makes no difference to a gold digger. In fact, it's actually better for a gold digger if that happens, because she doesn't have to waste her time on him.
Work together as a team. Realising your potential.
You're a gold digger. Can't you earn and provide for yourself? :lol:

Just get him to transfer his weekly wages to your bank account while he doesn't get to see you. It makes no difference to a gold digger. In fact, it's actually better for a gold digger if that happens, because she doesn't have to waste her time on him.

I dont think you realize just how much of a little b!+ch youre being.
All a woman has to do is open her legs & charge for someone to enter.
Youd get more action asking her what time opening hours are.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaserX
I dont think you realize just how much of a little b!+ch youre being.
All a woman has to do is open her legs & charge for someone to enter.
Youd get more action asking her what time opening hours are.
Yes I know that women can charge for sex and get high demand. Straight males simply can't do that. Even the hottest straight male sex workers will earn a fraction of what an average looking woman can earn charging for sex. That is the sad reality of the situation men face.

How am I being a b!+ch though?

Looks = a physical part of her

This is BS
Youre a Sugar daddy because you think that looks only apply to the appearance of a woman but woman like to look at me too. If a woman has chosen you, youre b!+ching because theyre after your money. That says alot but everyone has a level of interest, regardless of gender.
Non of this has anything to do with the work place, lol because the work place is why they have sexual harassment & woman to hide behind f@gg0+s who are now excepted for sexual harassment & police arent prepared to do anything about it, while woman are hiding because of inferiority in a male dominated leading role.

Basically the topic is about why isnt there enough Lesbians going out to dinner, so I can watch them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well I've skipped all the pages all the way to the latest page and all I've seen being mentioned is sugar daddies, male and female sex workers, and a gold digger. So can someone please tell me what's going on :biggrin:
Reply 1379
Snowman77, your point is ambiguous. I completely agree with this idea of inequality within dating, because I can see it's becoming harder for men to know the boundaries, as a result of the blurred lines caused by the media etc. HOWEVER I think that this inequality is caused by things being taken out of context, for example on a date, a man should open a door for a woman, yes he should, but this is common manors taught to someone from a young age, whether you're male or female. I am a female, I open doors etc for women, men, ANYONE. But again, I do see your point, with emphasis on latest dating shows such as 'Celebs Go Dating', where the male is EXPECTED to pay the bill, this is completely wrong, I think you should always split, then if this goes further than one date, I would offer to pay or they would, then on the third date, the other pays.
Furthermore, there unfortunately is a gender pay gap, yes this is illegal but it stills happens. Here are some examples:
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170901-how-hollywood-earnings-can-help-us-understand-pay-disparity
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/gender-pay-gap-reporting-deadline-business-discrimination-work-average-bonus-a8220816.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42916051

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending