The Student Room Group

How do i deposit a cheque into my bank account?

I received a tax refund cheque from HMRC and I have never deposited a cheque before.

I tried searching on google but couldn't find an exact answer. If anyone knows specifically for halifax bank that would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Original post by e^x
I received a tax refund cheque from HMRC and I have never deposited a cheque before.

I tried searching on google but couldn't find an exact answer. If anyone knows specifically for halifax bank that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go into a local branch and you can either pay it in over the counter or there ll be machines you can use.
You go to the bank and say 'I'd like to pay this in please' or use on the machines.
Original post by e^x

Thanks.

https://www.wikihow.com/Cash-a-Cheque
Reply 4
Serious question OP

How old are you?

because anyone over 10 should know this.......
Reply 5
Original post by ANM775
Serious question OP

How old are you?

22 and not embarrassed
There's machines you use, normally with a sign above "cash and cheque deposits". You put your cheque in and it reads how much, you press some buttons and it deposits it in your bank. Or just ask someone at the counter. I only deposited my first cheque last year when I was 18, cheques aren't used much nowadays.
Reply 7
Original post by DrawTheLine
There's machines you use, normally with a sign above "cash and cheque deposits". You put your cheque in and it reads how much, you press some buttons and it deposits it in your bank. Or just ask someone at the counter. I only deposited my first cheque last year when I was 18, cheques aren't used much nowadays.

Thanks, if you use the machines, you need your bank card and if you ask someone you just need your account number and sort code?
Original post by e^x
Thanks, if you use the machines, you need your bank card and if you ask someone you just need your account number and sort code?

Just bring your bank card for either one, it makes it easier.
Reply 9
Original post by e^x

Thanks.

You login to your online bank account, and then feed the cheque into your CD slot (or retractable cupholder as some people call it).
Original post by ANM775
Serious question OP

How old are you?

I’m 21 and paid in my first cheque a few weeks ago. Cheques aren’t all that commonplace any more; I don’t even have a chequebook!
Original post by carrotstar
I’m 21 and paid in my first cheque a few weeks ago. Cheques aren’t all that commonplace any more; I don’t even have a chequebook!

Indeed. I can't remember the last time I used a cheque. I don't have a chequebook either.
Go into bank. Hand over cheque and bank card. And *POOF* the money is in the account
Original post by frances98
Go into bank. Hand over cheque and bank card. And *POOF* the money is in the account

Err, no. You still need to wait a few days for the cheque to clear.
Reply 14
Original post by martin7
Err, no. You still need to wait a few days for the cheque to clear.

You will usually see the money in the account immediately, but yes you won't be able to draw against it until it's cleared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e^x

Thanks.

Jeez 21st century problems - now I feel old!
Original post by Doonesbury
You login to your online bank account, and then feed the cheque into your CD slot (or retractable cupholder as some people call it).

... and if you stick your Cheque Guarantee Card in the slot, you can even pay for online goods using your own personal cheques :ahee:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Cheque Guarantee Card

A what? Yeah, I've never had one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending