The Student Room Group

Room 101 - The Pet Peeves of The Student Room

ROOM 101
The Pet Peeves of The Student Room

I've come up with an idea for a 'series', if you like, of debates on things that you may like or despise. I recently read 1984 by George Orwell (cue the plug: you can read my thoughts on it in my Grow Your Grades blog here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5243296#primary_content), and in the book, Winston goes to Room 101, where he faces his greatest fear. From this, a TV show called Room 101 appeared, where celebrities talked about the pet peeves and they were discussed before putting them into Room 101.

In this thread, you can suggest your pet peeves and give a few sentences to explain why (for example, you may say that you hate passion fruit with a passion (see what I did there :u:) because it makes you feel sick, and it is disgusting). I will, each week, pick one of these pet peeves and create a new thread (which I will link here), where you can discuss the pet peeves. I will create a poll in the thread for everyone to vote on, and if the majority want it to be put in Room 101, we will do so. This thread is the hub of debate if you like, where you put your ideas, and I will stem the other discussions out of it. You can debate the Room 101 proposition in the specific thread, using your own knowledge, opinions, facts, science, religion, propaganda... really anything! The person who came up with the proposition will also be tagged in that thread so they can add their opinion in as well.

If you have any ideas, let me know!

Taglist
(just let me know if you want to be on this)

Spoiler

Prior debates (with links to the threads)

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For our first debate, as thought up by yours truly, should Slurping Drinks be locked up into Room 101? You have a week (until next Sunday) to decide!

Link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5244154
Tag me please, this seems interesting.
Done. If you have any suggestions for future debates, let me know here :smile:
As taken from the 2018 'Debater of the Year' nominations, I have tagged all nominees in this post case you want to get involved in this debate. If you want to be added to the tag list, let me know.

@MrDystopia @orderofthelotus @Plantagenet Crown @Zamestaneh @QE2 @MiszshorTea786 @Jammy Duel @nulli tertius

Current debate: [1] Should slurping be locked into Room 101?
Link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5244154
the tags for the community awards sub forum aren't working :smile: I had to go through every thread to see if i'd been nominated in any :biggrin:
Haha, well congratulations on your nomination. Thank you for your suggestions; I will use these in a future Room 101 debate.
This kind of relates to the slurping, but people who eat with their mouth open/talk with food in their mouth.

Also creds for an amazing, original thread series :love:
Original post by laurawatt
This kind of relates to the slurping, but people who eat with their mouth open/talk with food in their mouth.

Also creds for an amazing, original thread series :love:

Thank you, and also I will use your idea in a future Room 101 debate.
oooh can I be tagged?
This looks really interesting:tongue:
I can’t think of a pet peeve right now though
Taglist me please! :angel:

Pet peeve: people who make noise when they eat. Loud open mouth chewing, making “mmmm” noises, scraping forks against plates. All of it makes my skin crawl. Eat like that in private if you want but have some manners when people are around at least.
I’ll have a tag. People whole walk into you while looking at their phone and then proceed to blame you. Look where your walking, your phone isn’t that interesting!
stick me in the taglist
Put me in the taglist, seems fun!

Just a side note to people submitting ideas... please don't choose any members of TSR to put into Room 101 as that wouldn't be very nice. :smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
oooh can I be tagged?
This looks really interesting:tongue:
I can’t think of a pet peeve right now though

You've been tagged, and that's fine; just let me know if you have any ideas in the future. :smile:

Original post by cat_mac
Taglist me please! :angel:

Pet peeve: people who make noise when they eat. Loud open mouth chewing, making “mmmm” noises, scraping forks against plates. All of it makes my skin crawl. Eat like that in private if you want but have some manners when people are around at least.

Done, and I like that pet peeve (especially the scraping forks... eesh... :afraid:). Will use it soon, and I think Laurawatt said something similar so I will combine the two when I use it.

Original post by Andrew97
I’ll have a tag. People whole walk into you while looking at their phone and then proceed to blame you. Look where your walking, your phone isn’t that interesting!

Tagged, and yes, that is really annoying. Will use it soon.

Original post by orderofthelotus
stick me in the taglist

Done!

Original post by Paracosm
Put me in the taglist, seems fun!

Just a side note to people submitting ideas... please don't choose any members of TSR to put into Room 101 as that wouldn't be very nice. :smile:

I've tagged you, and that's a good point haha :tongue:
People who drink tea and make that 'ahh' sound after they take a sip. Subhuman degenerates honestly. Do that **** in private pls, same goes for eating with their mouth open and using knives and forks like degenerates.

Walking in rows of 3+ and walking very slowly on a path. Common with Chinese students at Uni. Please, just leave.

People who stand in the middle of the aisle with a trolley, with not enough space to go left or right. But they're there staring into space as if their dad owns the store.

On reddit when someone gets gold and they make really obnoxious, cringey edits hamming it up and killing the original comment. Usually Americans tbh, their humour is really horrible.
That @Paracosm bloke and his fancy avatar.
Original post by Conceited
That @Paracosm bloke and his fancy avatar.

Watch it, you. :lol:

How’re you doing? Been a while :frown:
Pineapple on pizza clearly needs to happen.

Spoiler

Original post by Paracosm
Watch it, you. :lol:

How’re you doing? Been a while :frown:

Will be careful in future, promise :tongue:

Mm, not bad at all. How are the French treating you?

Quick Reply

Latest