The Student Room Group

I’m making my boyfriend take my name when we get married

Scroll to see replies

I'm definitely not changing my surname but I'd probably go double-barreled unless his surname was really nasty
Original post by Pleasantri
I'm simply unhappy that women are expected to give up part of their identity (their family name), because that's what the men expect.

It is not expected anymore.
Then make both parents go double-barrelled.

Doubled barrelled names - is an idea that only works if most people don't do it.

If it became the norm tommorow, it would only take 3 generations to reach awful levels of incoveniance.

generation 1: mrs walker and mr smith marry, and have:

miss. walker smith

generation 2: miss walker smith marries mr baker miller, and have:

miss. walker smith baker miller

generation 3: miss walker smith baker miller marries mr tinsford jones spike thornley, and have:

miss. walker smith baker millier tinsford jones spike thornley.

---

It only works currently because most people realise its stupid and don't do it. Its no coincidence that most societal models around the world have developed some method of passing down family identification.

As I said in my previous post, I don't see any reason why it can't be the man taking the womans name. but it should be one, singular name, that transitions in the same manner for each generation. This helps keep naming effective and simple, and helps trace families through time.

Doubled barrelled names are just ill thought out and ineffective.

(the only exception would be a merging of the names. Say, smith + baker, becomes smicker.. then smicker and jokes (jones and spkike) become ssmickes etc. That way you are always merging, but you are never elongating.)
Original post by fallen_acorns
Doubled barrelled names - is an idea that only works if most people don't do it.

If it became the norm tommorow, it would only take 3 generations to reach awful levels of incoveniance.

generation 1: mrs walker and mr smith marry, and have:

miss. walker smith

generation 2: miss walker smith marries mr baker miller, and have:

miss. walker smith baker miller

generation 3: miss walker smith baker miller marries mr tinsford jones spike thornley, and have:

miss. walker smith baker millier tinsford jones spike thornley.

---

It only works currently because most people realise its stupid and don't do it. Its no coincidence that most societal models around the world have developed some method of passing down family identification.

As I said in my previous post, I don't see any reason why it can't be the man taking the womans name. but it should be one, singular name, that transitions in the same manner for each generation. This helps keep naming effective and simple, and helps trace families through time.

Doubled barrelled names are just ill thought out and ineffective.

(the only exception would be a merging of the names. Say, smith + baker, becomes smicker.. then smicker and jokes (jones and spkike) become ssmickes etc. That way you are always merging, but you are never elongating.)

It's all about patriarchy you see. Men like to be in control, even of women's names.
loled at 'Trumpington'

RIP
Original post by DrawTheLine
You can't force anyone to change their name. Why do you expect him to change his surname? Also, nowadays women aren't "always" changing their name.

I thought some men take their mother's surname as their first name.
Then make both parents go double-barrelled.

And the next generation quadruple barrelled.
Original post by peopleperson888
I thought some men take their mother's surname as their first name.

Why would someone change their first name to be their mother's surname?
Just shorten it to "Trump"
Reply 29
I think part of it also though that his surname is ‘Trumpington’ and it would have to be a cold day in hell before I’d be adopting that as a surname.

Does he own a village?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Why would someone change their first name to be their mother's surname?

Sorry, that should have been middle name. They are given their mother's maiden name as a middle name.
Original post by peopleperson888
Sorry, that should have been middle name. They are given their mother's maiden name as a middle name.

Sometimes. But what does that have to do with the OP wanting her boyfriend to take her surname?

Quick Reply