The Student Room Group

Anyone find it hard to adjust back to reality?

I’ve been in Africa for 2 months, the longest I’ve ever been away, and I got back to the UK yesterday. Ngl I feel kind of overwhelmed with things and it’s so surreal that I’m home as I became so used to the way of life where I lived, and hanging out with people my own age all day, everyday. We were sent home early due to political tensions.

We were given an allowance every two weeks and we had our team leader to support us, it was difficult at times but loads of fun.

It freaks me out that I’m back in reality and have to get a job when I have no clue what on Earth I want to do in life. My sleeping pattern is currently screwed up because of the plane (I loathe flying). Anyone else ever experience this after travelling?
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
I’ve been in Africa for 2 months, the longest I’ve ever been away, and I got back to the UK yesterday. Ngl I feel kind of overwhelmed with things and it’s so surreal that I’m home as I became so used to the way of life where I lived, and hanging out with people my own age all day, everyday. We were sent home early due to political tensions.

We were given an allowance every two weeks and we had our team leader to support us, it was difficult at times but loads of fun.

It freaks me out that I’m back in reality and have to get a job when I have no clue what on Earth I want to do in life. My sleeping pattern is currently screwed up because of the plane (I loathe flying). Anyone else ever experience this after travelling?

Hi!

I know completely what this feeling is like and it's completely normal!

I'm Ben and I study languages at Hallam! They sent me abroad for 6 months in Italy and then a year in Spain and both times I came back with this weird feeling! :confused: You think because you're returning to what was normal for so long that it will just be an easy adjustment but it can be tough! If you want a name to put to the feeling, it's called reverse culture shock and you're not alone in that feeling! With that added element of having to find work I imagine it sucks.

But what I've always done to feel better is to keep hold of my comforts. If you had close friends from your time in Africa, be sure to keep in touch with them. Even try out cooking a dish that you had out there! Staying in contact with the culture really helps to fill the void that you feel! But also remember the things you love about being home, favourite foods, friends and places.

Remember to reflect on your time in Africa and celebrate what you achieved there, moving away is tough and you made it back it one piece. :thumbsup:

Also make sure to tell people how your feeling, it's completely fine to feel down after coming back from such a wonderful adventure and people will understand! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest