The Student Room Group

I don't want a black box!!!

So I have just passed my test at 18 and I am looking to get my first car, I am paying for it all so I at most I am looking to spend 1.5K on a car and 1.5K on insurance. Anyway I have found a car and insurance for it is only 1.2K a year, I think that's amazing however it is so cheap as it comes with a black box, almost all cars that I could afford came with a black box, the next cheapest insurance was always like 2K. I can really only afford one with a black box, but after hearing stories and stuff I really dont want one, what can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbaforcba
So I have just passed my test at 18 and I am looking to get my first car, I am paying for it all so I at most I am looking to spend 1.5K on a car and 1.5K on insurance. Anyway I have found a car and insurance for it is only 1.2K a year, I think that's amazing however it is so cheap as it comes with a black box, almost all cars that I could afford came with a black box, the next cheapest insurance was always like 2K. I can really only afford one with a black box, but after hearing stories and stuff I really dont want one, what can I do?

I totally agree with you about black boxes. Do avoid one where possible.
As well as going on comparison websites, get quotes with insurance companies on their websites directly, as it can be cheaper than going through the comparison site. Also some companies arent on comparison sites.
Add people like your mum and dad as named drivers (you still the main driver of course).
Alter details such as where you keep the car at night (on the drive, on the road etc) and the amount of miles you will do a year to see if it makes a difference.
Have you actually brought a car yet? If not, try getting quotes for different cars to see which is cheapest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2

The logical thing to do is increase the budget for your insurance and decrease the budget for your car.
2k without a box is good. Save more money.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I totally agree with you about black boxes. Do avoid one where possible.
As well as going on comparison websites, get quotes with insurance companies on their websites directly, as it can be cheaper than going through the comparison site. Also some companies arent on comparison sites.
Add people like your mum and dad as named drivers (you still the main driver of course).
Alter details such as where you keep the car at night (on the drive, on the road etc) and the amount of miles you will do a year to see if it makes a difference.
Have you actually brought a car yet? If not, try getting quotes for different cars to see which is cheapest.

Hi, thanks for this, I haven't got the car yet however I have looked at many different cars and they're still very expensive without a black box, I think I am just going to have to get one.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
The logical thing to do is increase the budget for your insurance and decrease the budget for your car.

that's what I have been doing but still can't find any cheaper
Reply 6

If you can't afford the insurance, how can you afford to maintain your car? Fuel, tax, servicing, consumables, MOT?
Could you not live without a car for a while?
- Get a black box and drive sensibly.
- Save up until you can afford one without a black box.
- Lower your car budget to 1000 and spend 2000 on insurance.
having a car is not a necessity it's not the end of the world if you don't drive at 18. Moreover, a blackbox isn't all that bad when you compare yourself to people in under developed countries who may well be smarter than you but can't afford a car to drive so don't be so stuck up and be content with what you have. Black box or not be happy.

Your impatience is going to cost you £800.
Try Woop Insurance. They do have a black box but aren't very sensitive. I have one and all my friends complain about my fast driving (around corners and acceleration, not speeding). I have been flagged twice since October for fast cornering, and it hasn't affected my overall score. Relatively cheap prices as well
Hi, thanks for this, I haven't got the car yet however I have looked at many different cars and they're still very expensive without a black box, I think I am just going to have to get one.

Try either a kia picanto, hyundai getz or a nissan micra. The first 2 especially are less common among young drivers so should be cheaper on insurance. Trying a car that is slightly bigger (such as a kia rio, ford focus etc) might bring the cost down as well as its not the sort of thing that young drivers have so shouldnt be as expensive. Cars like vauxhall corsas, ford fiestas etc are common amongst young drivers, and plenty get scraped, crashed etc, so the insurance on those is likely to be higher.
If you can wait that long, it might be worth not getting a car just yet and waiting until you have had your licence for a year. Having your licence for longer, even if you havent driven, will bring the cost down a bit as well.
Reply 13
Original post by Student-95
- Get a black box and drive sensibly.
- Save up until you can afford one without a black box.
- Lower your car budget to 1000 and spend 2000 on insurance.

Obviously I will drive as safe a possible however I have just been thrown off by what some people say about black boxes I also know that sometimes they can have a curfew, like driving at night is seen as a bad thing, this will be a problem for me as although I go to college, I work most weekend on closing shifts which means I finish at basically midnight. Also the cheapest insurances I could find so far without a black box were like 3K and imo that's a crazy amount, no one should pay that.
Reply 14
Original post by TheYearNiner
having a car is not a necessity it's not the end of the world if you don't drive at 18. Moreover, a blackbox isn't all that bad when you compare yourself to people in under developed countries who may well be smarter than you but can't afford a car to drive so don't be so stuck up and be content with what you have. Black box or not be happy.

Whilst a car may not have been a necessity for you at 18, it is for me and also I am not being stuck up about it, I just don't see how spending 3K on insurance, without a black box, is justifiable.
Reply 15
Obviously I will drive as safe a possible however I have just been thrown off by what some people say about black boxes I also know that sometimes they can have a curfew, like driving at night is seen as a bad thing, this will be a problem for me as although I go to college, I work most weekend on closing shifts which means I finish at basically midnight. Also the cheapest insurances I could find so far without a black box were like 3K and imo that's a crazy amount, no one should pay that.

You said 2k in your OP...?
Reply 16
Original post by nevershear
Your impatience is going to cost you £800.

Yeah, I do have to admit that that I may be impatient in wanting to get a car, however even before passing I was looking at cars as if I had just got a licence and even then the prices were crazy, I think I might just bite the bullet and spend the money.

Have you tried adding a parent as an additional driver - I do not mean as the main driver.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Have you tried adding a parent as an additional driver - I do not mean as the main driver.

Yep, that did bring it down alot, but that was already done!
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
You said 2k in your OP...?

Oops, I meant to say 3K, I think I may just go for a black box because at the end of the day I just have to be a safe driver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending