The Student Room Group

UCAS and Gcse Maths

I was wondering if i passed my Gcse Maths at a Private Centre as a Private Candiate after i failed at my first try in Secondary School.How would this work ? Can i lie and just say i passed it at my Secondary School,what difference will it make ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ty457
I was wondering if i passed my Gcse Maths at a Private Centre as a Private Candiate after i failed at my first try in Secondary School.How would this work ? Can i lie and just say i passed it at my Secondary School,what difference will it make ?

you'll have to declare the failed gcse and then declare the one you passed seperately.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
you'll have to declare the failed gcse and then declare the one you passed seperately.

Will that harm my chances or make me less desirable ?
Original post by Ty457
Will that harm my chances or make me less desirable ?

If it's the only resit you've had to do then it won't make much of a difference
Reply 4
If it's the only resit you've had to do then it won't make much of a difference

I'm wondering if get a Grade 4 in Maths and English which is the most likely outcome what will that do to my chances of a 'good' university in London ? Most demand 5 or above ?
Original post by Ty457
I'm wondering if get a Grade 4 in Maths and English which is the most likely outcome what will that do to my chances of a 'good' university in London ? Most demand 5 or above ?

if you don't meet the gcse requirements then that univerisity is unlikely to accept you.
Reply 6
if you don't meet the gcse requirements then that univerisity is unlikely to accept you.

What happens if my AS/A Levels were good and made up for the poor performance in Gcse's.
Original post by Ty457
What happens if my AS/A Levels were good and made up for the poor performance in Gcse's.

universities are generally very strict on gcses so a levels don't really make a difference.
Reply 8
universities are generally very strict on gcses so a levels don't really make a difference.

So what do i do then ? I am retaking Gcse Maths Foundation,however the best i believe i can get is a Grade 4.English Language if i do a resit maybe i can push myself to a Grade 5.But if a course like Law,Crimonolgy will Maths be a hinderence ?
Original post by Ty457
So what do i do then ? I am retaking Gcse Maths Foundation,however the best i believe i can get is a Grade 4.English Language if i do a resit maybe i can push myself to a Grade 5.But if a course like Law,Crimonolgy will Maths be a hinderence ?

stick to applying to places that will accept your gcse grades
Reply 10
stick to applying to places that will accept your gcse grades

Arent those the rubbish ones,London Met etc This is the exact reason why i want to resit
back again , did you talk to some about paying £200 + pounds for the retake when it should be free
Reply 12
Original post by Ray_Shadows
back again , did you talk to some about paying £200 + pounds for the retake when it should be free

Piss off.i have already paid,i couldnt find anywhere to take it for free.
Original post by Ty457
Piss off.i have already paid,i couldnt find anywhere to take it for free.

hm fine , not my money wasted

lets hope you don't fail again or that's another £200 in the bin
Reply 14
hm fine , not my money wasted

lets hope you don't fail again or that's another £200 in the bin

I did ask for a refuns,however in their terms and conditions they said 'NO'.I dont know weather to do Higher or Foundation,i am crap at Maths,feels like my life is in jeopardy.
Original post by Ty457
I did ask for a refuns,however in their terms and conditions they said 'NO'.I dont know weather to do Higher or Foundation,i am crap at Maths,feels like my life is in jeopardy.

should of looked at all your options before splashing the cash , gl
Reply 16
should of looked at all your options before splashing the cash , gl

I had no options,i am not currently in Full Time Education.I want to go to a Particular Sixth Form they said to enter Level 3 Courses, you at least need a Grade 4 in Maths.I get that Grade 4 i should be allowed in.I fail,i'll have to go to a college and retake it their as a full time student
Original post by Ty457
I had no options,i am not currently in Full Time Education.I want to go to a Particular Sixth Form they said to enter Level 3 Courses, you at least need a Grade 4 in Maths.I get that Grade 4 i should be allowed in.I fail,i'll have to go to a college and retake it their as a full time student

i'd rather go to the college without spending a penny than have a chance at a sixth form by spending £200 on a gcse retake , but you do you
Reply 18
i'd rather go to the college without spending a penny than have a chance at a sixth form by spending £200 on a gcse retake , but you do you

You see i dont know weather that college would've allowed me to do A Levels without a Pass in Gcse Maths.They would've hopped me off to BTEc
Original post by Ty457
You see i dont know weather that college would've allowed me to do A Levels without a Pass in Gcse Maths.They would've hopped me off to BTEc

what a-levels do u want to do btw

Quick Reply

Latest