The Student Room Group

Do you play on console or pc and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I switch between PS4 and PC. - Most of my friends have a PS4, so its the best way for us all to game together imo + I don't have a 'beefy' computer so i only really play 'low-demanding' games on it.
Original post by Juvilation
Also mention if you would try another plaform and if you have multipe compare

Played both PC and console. More console than PC games, as the choice of games were greater by far. So I guess the preference in on console's side. :biggrin:
Reply 42
PC just because I don't have a console and don't particularly want to pay for one.
Yh, you kinda need to have a big tv for that tho to do it from bed or have a mega comfy gaming chair
I play on both actually. I mostly play on console tho as my laptop can't really handle the more graphics intensive games. If you're wondering I mostly play overwatch and dark souls on xbox one and pretty much just FTL on pc (I've just checked my playtime on FTL and its at 77 hours jesus christ)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 45
pc bcs most of my friends have it and its better
Or even use a Steam Link or similar. Good compression and decompression (much better than xbox to PC) with next to no latency given the CPU in the PC has more than enough overhead to handle it and the link is hardware dedicated to the purpose. Most "casual" games I'll play in bed simply because it's more comfortable
Original post by Kallisto
Played both PC and console. More console than PC games, as the choice of games were greater by far. So I guess the preference in on console's side. :biggrin:

objectively false. For instance according to wikipedia there are 1734 games on PS4 (126 exclusive) including games that are known but not yet released, meanwhile on steam alone there are currently 22,253 with many of them exclusive to the PC platform, there are probably more games exclusive to PC than there are available on current gen consoles all together.

Oh, and those 126 exclusives will probably mostly be proprietary to make people buy a PS4 rather than for technical reasons or because the genre doesn't really work on consoles (play pretty much any RTS on a console and tell me that RTS and console go together) as is generally going to be the case on PC. On top of those 126 games exclusive wholly to the PS4 there are a further 420 that are console exclusive, i.e. on PS4 but not Xbox One so almost a third of the PS4 library cannot be played on an Xbox One. Microsoft aren't as bad on the exclusive front, 30 Xbone exclusive, 126 Microsoft platforms only.

The worst thing that consoles lead to is the exclusivity, it denies games to gamers just to sell the hardware. If I want to play Halo 5 I MUST have an Xbone, if I don't I can't play it. If I want to play Quantum Break having just a PS4 isn't enough, I have to have either a PC capable of playing it or an Xbone. If I want to play God of War I MUST have a PS4, if I want to play FF7 an Xbone isn't enough, or shall we say FF14 so a half decent computer is needed. These things are all exclusive for purely commercial reasons and we as gamers lose out as all three, four if we are to include Nintendo in it too, systems have to be owned to get the full choice and that is not financially viable for the majority.

/Rant

As an aside, I don't have a problem with console gamers, I play games on consoles myself sometimes
ps2 ftw
Both I have a pc and switch I also have a wii and x box 360 I absolutely love the Mario and Zelda series so for me I bought the switch for the first party exclusives the pc I use for games I can’t get or wouldn’t work on the switch like the Arkham series or the sims I tend to split my gaming time pretty equally between the two.
Both, because exclusives.

I tend to prefer playing on console if it's an option for most game genres though, with a few exceptions (SMITE on console was super awkward, and I prefer Fable on PC). However the nature of PC controls and development platforms available for it means there are necessarily more options on PC (although the gap between the number of worthwhile options on each has considerably narrowed in recent years).

However, equally I've become much more casual in my gaming and it's easier to multitask and play a low intensity game in the background while doing other stuff on my laptop...on my laptop. So I probably PC game more, even if I prefer console gaming for most things due to controllers (yes I know I can plug in my controller to use it on PC, but why would I willingly hamstring myself by using a controller when someone is using m+kb to get instant headshots or w/e. At least it's much less common on console and it's a more even playing field).

Stuff like graphics is kind of irrelevant to me though, because honestly stylised graphics tend to be much nicer to look (and hold up better over the years) and aren't really very different between a supercomputer and a console. As long as it isn't just, old-school runescape level blocks just to get a decent framerate, I'm happy :tongue:
Personally, I play on a "gaming laptop", it's fairly decent at handling games at a good fps level.
I do also have an Xbox-One, just don't play it as much as I can barely use the controller and haven't found the time to get familiar with it...
Both, Switch, DS and 3DS are the consoles I play. The upside with PC there's more variety of games. DS games who are no longer being produced are generally 50-75% cheaper now.
I'm both a console and PC gamer but I play PC most nowadays. I love consoles because that's what I grew up on and a lot of my favourite games are on Playstation 1 and 2 but I haven't bought any of the newer consoles purely because they are expensive and the games are expensive too with very rarely any sales unlike Steam, Humble Bundle and GOG.

PC gaming took a while to get used to, and I still play with a controller when I am allowed to, but I'm preferring it a lot more apart from the fact that I can't sit on my bed and play games on it; which is a shame. Another thing I dislike about PC gaming is it's all online so no physical copies to collect and show off. :frown:
Original post by Jammy Duel
x

Oh my lord, I have caused a discussion without to intend it. You misunderstood me. I have talked about my personal choices of games. My own ones were greater by far in comparison PC and console games. But I agree. The exclusivity to console games is a good reason to prefer PC games.
Original post by Jammy Duel
objectively false. For instance according to wikipedia there are 1734 games on PS4 (126 exclusive) including games that are known but not yet released, meanwhile on steam alone there are currently 22,253 with many of them exclusive to the PC platform, there are probably more games exclusive to PC than there are available on current gen consoles all together.

Oh, and those 126 exclusives will probably mostly be proprietary to make people buy a PS4 rather than for technical reasons or because the genre doesn't really work on consoles (play pretty much any RTS on a console and tell me that RTS and console go together) as is generally going to be the case on PC. On top of those 126 games exclusive wholly to the PS4 there are a further 420 that are console exclusive, i.e. on PS4 but not Xbox One so almost a third of the PS4 library cannot be played on an Xbox One. Microsoft aren't as bad on the exclusive front, 30 Xbone exclusive, 126 Microsoft platforms only.

The worst thing that consoles lead to is the exclusivity, it denies games to gamers just to sell the hardware. If I want to play Halo 5 I MUST have an Xbone, if I don't I can't play it. If I want to play Quantum Break having just a PS4 isn't enough, I have to have either a PC capable of playing it or an Xbone. If I want to play God of War I MUST have a PS4, if I want to play FF7 an Xbone isn't enough, or shall we say FF14 so a half decent computer is needed. These things are all exclusive for purely commercial reasons and we as gamers lose out as all three, four if we are to include Nintendo in it too, systems have to be owned to get the full choice and that is not financially viable for the majority.

/Rant

As an aside, I don't have a problem with console gamers, I play games on consoles myself sometimes

Yh, pc has more games, i dont know who told u otherwise
Original post by Other_Owl
Both, Switch, DS and 3DS are the consoles I play. The upside with PC there's more variety of games. DS games who are no longer being produced are generally 50-75% cheaper now.

you can get good deals on websites for pc games if you look hard enough
Reply 57
PC MASTER RACEEEEE!1!!1111!11!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMsGl_XxTk
Original post by SaDe7
PC MASTER RACEEEEE!1!!1111!11!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMsGl_XxTk

no no no, plz dont go and do this, of all the complaints ive heard, its of people saying that people on pc are biggotted retards who only care about framezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and quality, no no no plz lets not turn this into a drama thread, if u want drama aska stupid question about girls or something
Original post by Juvilation
Also mention if you would try another plaform and if you have multipe compare

I don't mind spending thousands of pounds to get my hands on a powerful rig, hence PC for me. The more money you pay, the better performance you get. Also, PC's have way more features and can be used for a ton of other things like browsing, YouTube, video editing etc can all be done with ease. On a console, you can do those things as well but they are limited to some of the features. But that's not to say that consoles are weak. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are both really capable machines too, but just not in the same level as the top graphics cards etc. I do also own a PS4 Pro just to play those 'console exclusives'.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest