The Student Room Group

Teacher ripped up my work

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OldishStudent
When I was at school in the eighties I had some utter b@5tards teaching me [nothing]

I remember walking into an english class when i was about 14, and seeing a load of petals around the floor. This particular scumbag had a green thumb, and there were plant pots around the edges of the class.
He knew it was not me who had done it, as we were still walking in, and I was in the middle of the queue and had just put my books on the desk. However, he grabbed me and my pile of books, ripped them in half in anger, and kicked me out.
He shouted at me, 'you can get your father, you can get your lawyer...' I wasnt scared though. Or shocked. Which would have been my natural reaction.
I remember looking right back at him, and thinking, you know i didnt do this...The next english lesson he picked me out in the queue and said you're not coming in.
I spent the next 2 years sitting in a cloakroom during every english lesson, then got a letter telling me if i did not attend the gcse i would get charged £150....

YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY REPORT THEM. OR HAVE YOUR PARENTS WRITE A LETTER. Or better yet, have your Dad, go in to see the headmaster, with you, and sit down and explain what happened.

After my own experiences, If I had kids, and it happened to them, I'd be hard pushed not to walk in and flatten the teacher.
[Which would be wrong, of course] Still boils my blood thinking about it though.

Yes, Act. Even if you are not sure it's the right thing to do, at your age. It's enough for you to just walk in and calmly point out that this behaviour is unreasonable and unacceptable.

This particular teacher, Mr Stead, [named and shamed] had obviously done this to other kids before me, as one day, an older person, who had left the school, walked into the playground one day, to fight him, in revenge for some past wrong. People like that shouldnt be teaching. They have the power, on a whim to ruin your education, and destroy your subsequent choices.

Thank you, this is a brilliant response! In my junior school, we were segregated into A, B and C classes, I was always at the bottom of the A class and most of us ( boys and girls) did not smell, half the B class smelled doggo and all the C class really STANK as if they were wearing the same clothes for weeks and sleeping in them too. Looking back, it was always about money and social class, although I was from a one parent family, my mum always turned me and my elder brother out 'decent, .'with clean clothes and weekly baths with ' good all-over washes in between! But, social class and wealth didn't stop at the stink. The A class, we always got the best, most likeable teachers and sorry Feminists, but we boys even before puberty, always fell in love with our lady teachers, who were more than Locus Parentis, at times, it was like having a big sister. But the C class had this woman called Miss Newey (named and shamed) she was about 4' 10" but built like a little bullock and never spoke in anything less than an ear-splitting SCREETCH! Occasionally, due to rota changes NEWEY took over the A class and on one such occasion she screetched my best friend Eric out beofre the class. NEWEY used to "bullyrag" her vistim, grabbing clothes with her left hand and hauling Eric out she gave hime "the treatment" extending the nuckle of her right middle finger and punching (on this occasion Eric, because he carried on talking about some imperative subject like frogs and/or/if toads etc as kids do at 10 or 11 years) him in the kidneys, repeatedly as he was dragged in front of the class. Then her knee came up and she started kneeing Eric in the leg, as she was fisting him in the kidneys. Eric was just falling to the floor (when I'm sure she would have started kicking him) when the Headmaster, Mr Smith walked in. He shoted "MISS NEWEY!" who immediately broke off her onslaught; then said "ERIC, GO DOWN TO MY OFFICE." Eric walked out, Mr Smith looked at NEWEY and said: "I'll SPEAK TO YOU LATER, MISS NEWEY!" Mr Smith, who was quite a disciplinarian himself, but rarely lost his temper, sat Eric in his office and gave him a green jelly-baby, and pep-talk about how teachers are only humans and occasionally behaved as such. Mr Smith knew he had to apologise for NEWEY's unacceptable behaviour. But NEWEY couldn't help herself, she was just such a horrible, hateful, sad article and should not have been teaching.
Reply 61
Original post by shabeer788
Today my teacher ripped up my work and then threw it at me and told me to pick it up in front of the whole class.(By the way I'm in year 12 Sixth Form) This wasnt the first time she had ripped it up in front of the class it was the second.
I was wondering if this is allowed and if not what can i do about the teacher?

I would've dashed her.
Original post by FerretPun
She should be giving you feedback on how to improve it, not ripping up your work and humiliating you. She's a teacher, and that was a very immature thing for her to do. You need that work to be marked and treat professionaly so you can improve; if it's in little shreds in the bin how are you supposed to advance in the subject? Definitely report her, especially since it happened twice.

This! Fullllly agree
Best way to react is just to refuse to pick it up. What's she gonna do, complain to the headmaster that she ripped up a student's work, threw it on the ground and the student refused to pick it up?
OP doesnt seem very interested.
Still unclear if the school is in the UK.
Why the teacher reacted that way.
If in UK whether its a mainstream school.

Last year there was someone posting about being hit by the teacher, but that was in another country.
If its a mainstream UK state school, then the behaviour is odd and unproductive, which should be reported.

Still unclear what the situation is though.
Some teachers are just really ruthless in the way that they adress certain pupils, also the heads of the school are less likely to believe that a teacher is behaving innapropriatley
Original post by Juvilation
Some teachers are just really ruthless in the way that they adress certain pupils, also the heads of the school are less likely to believe that a teacher is behaving innapropriatley

Yes, teachers need support from a Headmaster or Headmistress, but this should not be Heads colaborating with monsterous teachers in the abuse of school student or students
Original post by 999tigger
OP doesnt seem very interested.
Still unclear if the school is in the UK.
Why the teacher reacted that way.
If in UK whether its a mainstream school.

Last year there was someone posting about being hit by the teacher, but that was in another country.
If its a mainstream UK state school, then the behaviour is odd and unproductive, which should be reported.

Still unclear what the situation is though.

Agreed
Today my teacher ripped up my work and then threw it at me and told me to pick it up in front of the whole class.(By the way I'm in year 12 Sixth Form) This wasnt the first time she had ripped it up in front of the class it was the second.

Oh no! Poor you!
XOX
This has happened to me when I was in year 12 (5 years ago). I was in shock and still to this very day, when I hear things being ripped, I have flashbacks to that moment where he ripped my work.

I realised after a while that this teacher had an issue and dealt with other things very badly too. From retrospective, this teacher has a lot of insecurities about his authority, therefore, doing something as bad of this helps to mentally reassure him that he has power. I don't think she is picking on you, but I don't think you should report it because you will still have her as a teacher. Best thing to do is to walk on eggshells around her.
The worst thing about it all is when I spoke to my head of year, she immediately took his side. Also in retrospective, she was a crappy head of year anyway, probably only did what was in her self-interest.

She said she spoke to him and he said it has all be resolved now. I was thinking, whats been resolved? nothing has changed since he ripped my work, hes not apologised.
The only teacher I know of that did it would also physically assault children. Nuff said.

no way, she did you dirty!! @marwakhalid
I'll say report her! If other teachers try to cover her up, drag your parents. The teacher has no right at all to tear your belongings. In that case I'd grab her phone and throw it against the wall. Oops, broken biatch

Just take it happen easy not personal it happens at times you wont be in school forever
Yeah, no that's definitely not acceptable - as someone who is surrounded by people who are training to/aspire to be teachers.

Report it directly the head of your School. And if it ever happens again: do not pick it up.
Reply: "That's not going to happen and you're not fit to teach. I'm going to leave now and speak to *insert their boss's name here*",
then gather your belongings and walk out of the class calmly.

Go to that person and explain the situation and why you left the class.
Whether you're ever made aware of it or not, trust me, your teacher will be dragged over hot coals in that situation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PurpleDelight
Both! Start with head of sixth form though.
If you don't report her she'll continue to do these kinda things and that's not right at all.
Try and get a reliable student from your class to confirm that this happened.

yeah, i'd try the year lead first, if nothing happens, take it higher up and get witnesses.
Reply 77

Get a grip matey. There's obviously a reason why they ripped up your work and YOU need to sort that out!

Slap her back down, cheeky b****
Report her... unless that’s in retaliation to something serious you’ve done there’s no excuse for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending