The Student Room Group

Is it worth staying with the PC?

I have quite powerful gaming PC at home (nothing too high end tho). And I will be moving out to Uni which is about 3 and a half hour away from my home by train and I am planning on coming every weekend home or at least every other weekend. My question is, is it worth to have the PC or should I sell it for a laptop? If I stayed with the PC I would bring it and leave it with me in uni but I would have to leave it for the weekend because its too much hastle, but I wouldn't be able to use it over the weekend. If I have an laptop, I would be able to even use it on the train.

Any opinions?
Original post by michpcx
I have quite powerful gaming PC at home (nothing too high end tho). And I will be moving out to Uni which is about 3 and a half hour away from my home by train and I am planning on coming every weekend home or at least every other weekend. My question is, is it worth to have the PC or should I sell it for a laptop? If I stayed with the PC I would bring it and leave it with me in uni but I would have to leave it for the weekend because its too much hastle, but I wouldn't be able to use it over the weekend. If I have an laptop, I would be able to even use it on the train.

Any opinions?

if it's a self built PC then maybe temporarily downgrade some of your parts so you can get a laptop as well, don't let gaming get in the way of your studies but also don't just have nothing or you'll just get massively bored
Reply 2
Original post by Peter Westbury
if it's a self built PC then maybe temporarily downgrade some of your parts so you can get a laptop as well, don't let gaming get in the way of your studies but also don't just have nothing or you'll just get massively bored

Yeah, the PC is 100% self build, so I am really proud of it and it would be hard choosing a part to go under the "hammer". Also, I don't game that much, I only play maybe around 3-4 hours weekly if that.
maybe leave the PC at home and play games at the weekend as a treat while you study during the week.
Do you really want to use the laptop on the train? If you're thinking of taking your computer with you to Uni, then you'll have that as well as access to computer labs and the library at university. I assume you've got a smartphone for things like e-mails on-the-go and quickly checking stuff online. To be honest, that's probably all you'll need. (OneDrive, DropBox or Google Drive for sharing files is also handy).

For some reason, people sometimes insist on taking laptops into lectures and lessons with them, which honestly always seemed pointless to me (not to mention the weight of keeping it in your bag, and the risk of damaging it). Your focus during your contact time is usually on the lecturer or whatever exercises you're working on. I personally don't think laptops are all that great as a student unless you really do want to do your work on a train, or maybe outdoors in the summer, etc.
Original post by michpcx
Yeah, the PC is 100% self build, so I am really proud of it and it would be hard choosing a part to go under the "hammer". Also, I don't game that much, I only play maybe around 3-4 hours weekly if that.

You can always buy parts back is the main thing I'd say, for convenience there's nothing better than a laptop, but I get there are benefits personally and physically to having a good PC
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
maybe leave the PC at home and play games at the weekend as a treat while you study during the week.

Don't want my parents to think that I am coming only to use my PC :tongue:

Original post by winterscoming
Do you really want to use the laptop on the train? If you're thinking of taking your computer with you to Uni, then you'll have that as well as access to computer labs and the library at university. I assume you've got a smartphone for things like e-mails on-the-go and quickly checking stuff online. To be honest, that's probably all you'll need. (OneDrive, DropBox or Google Drive for sharing files is also handy).

For some reason, people sometimes insist on taking laptops into lectures and lessons with them, which honestly always seemed pointless to me (not to mention the weight of keeping it in your bag, and the risk of damaging it). Your focus during your contact time is usually on the lecturer or whatever exercises you're working on. I personally don't think laptops are all that great as a student unless you really do want to do your work on a train, or maybe outdoors in the summer, etc.

Yeah I will definitely not bring it to lectures as there's not point. I will be studing computer science anyway so I will me by the computer on most days anyway. And thats true, I can always find something else to do on the train. Plus I will get way better PC for the price of lower end laptop which is why I am a bit confused on what to do.

You can always buy parts back is the main thing I'd say, for convenience there's nothing better than a laptop, but I get there are benefits personally and physically to having a good PC

I always prefered PC. You don't have to worry about battery, or damaging it much because you don't really move it much, so I dont know :s-smilie:
Original post by michpcx
I always prefered PC. You don't have to worry about battery, or damaging it much because you don't really move it much, so I dont know :s-smilie:

By the sound of it you've already convinced yourself, I'd say bring it with you. It's not like there's a deadline, you can always chnage your kind so just don't worry about it.
Reply 8
By the sound of it you've already convinced yourself, I'd say bring it with you. It's not like there's a deadline, you can always chnage your kind so just don't worry about it.

That helps, thank you! :smile:
Original post by michpcx

Any opinions?

Another middle ground solution you could consider is converting the PC to an ITX build that's easier to transport. Unless you have any really oversized components all you'd need to buy is a new motherboard and a small case, I use a £40 Silverstone SG13 for my gaming rig and it's about the side of a large shoebox.

Reply 10
That would be a good idea if I didn't had to carry around a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc. with me:frown:
Reply 11
Wisdom at it's finest. Laptops are never going to match a PC for power, and although they are useful, are not more useful than a PC.

If you really needed a laptop then get a cheap one alongside your PC which is what I did. Laptop comes to uni while my PC is used when I'm at my studio.
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
Wisdom at it's finest. Laptops are never going to match a PC for power, and although they are useful, are not more useful than a PC.

If you really needed a laptop then get a cheap one alongside your PC which is what I did. Laptop comes to uni while my PC is used when I'm at my studio.

Thats actually pretty good idea, I could take cheap laptop anywhere. Thanks for the idea!

Yeah I do realise It will take so much off my time and it will be expensive, but I have a strict parents which is why. However going home every other week sounds like a not bad idea. Thank you for help!
Reply 13
They aren't really forcing me, its when I was choosing Uni they were trying to persuade me to stay locally by saying "travelling home will be so expensive every weekend" and they are saying in nearly every conversation how I will be coming on the weekends so :s-smilie: But I don't really mind, I can always bring like you said cheap laptop with me and do all the work I will have at home on it.
Reply 14
So right about the laptops, I don't know how some people cope with no PC.

As for visiting home, I talk with them a couple times a week but have only been home twice since moving, Sept and Oct. I'm sure your parents will understand you not visiting very two weeks if you are busy.
Reply 15
We'll see how it goes, maybe once they see how much stuff I will be doing, they will easy up a bit. And ouchh, that would definitely be a long journey to get PC in your room. Fortunelly my dad drives so its all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending