The Student Room Group

I feel like my life is going downhill again

I felt badly depressed for over a year, I honestly don’t think my head was too good. The worst was from around June last year, I didn’t know it was possible to feel like that way. I’m 17, I started sixth form in September with no friends ( I knew everyone a bit as they’ve been in my year throughout school, but they already had their friendship groups) I have social anxiety and couldn’t talk to anyone, I spent the first few weeks by myself and accepted that it would be like that. This girl started talking to me (we used to be friends in primary) and I thought it was just going to be in classes because we took the same and she didn’t bother with anyone else, but we started going for lunch together and even FaceTime ( I hate going on FaceTime with anyone). She was one of these popular girls who seem like complete *****es and I was worried that she was using me (I still am a bit). The last 2 weeks or so I’ve started to feel down again and I don’t know why. I think it’s because I’m realising that I’m not good enough for her. She’s pretty and out going and I’m far from pretty and I can’t even talk to people thats been in my class for years. I don’t want to feel The way I did again. Is there any suggestions so I can help myself before it’s too late again? Thanks
Hi there,

I've been depressed for a long time now, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. What you've described, if I was in your situation, I would also think she was using me. However you shouldn't just leave her because of what you think is true. Carry on being friends with her, and enjoy it. You haven't had friends in a while, so it is good for you to have someone you can talk to. If you feel uncomfortable at times, make sure you take a breath, and distance yourself for a bit, so you can calm down.However I can tell you something. Don't get too attatched, be cautious, and know your limits. Of course be yourself, don't lie to seem like a better person. But do not tell her your most precious secrets/ things that are personal to you. Wait a few years. It takes time to know if someone is truly your friend; and I know from experience.

Another thing to help you with your depression, maybe listen to some music. I feel like Kesha's new album, especially the song hymn could relate to you a lot, as I can relate to it a lot too.

I really hope you feel more confident, and feel happy being yourself in the future; even though it may seem impossible

All the best ,
Reply 2
Original post by Luna Quibbler
Hi there,

I've been depressed for a long time now, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. What you've described, if I was in your situation, I would also think she was using me. However you shouldn't just leave her because of what you think is true. Carry on being friends with her, and enjoy it. You haven't had friends in a while, so it is good for you to have someone you can talk to. If you feel uncomfortable at times, make sure you take a breath, and distance yourself for a bit, so you can calm down.However I can tell you something. Don't get too attatched, be cautious, and know your limits. Of course be yourself, don't lie to seem like a better person. But do not tell her your most precious secrets/ things that are personal to you. Wait a few years. It takes time to know if someone is truly your friend; and I know from experience.

Another thing to help you with your depression, maybe listen to some music. I feel like Kesha's new album, especially the song hymn could relate to you a lot, as I can relate to it a lot too.

I really hope you feel more confident, and feel happy being yourself in the future; even though it may seem impossible

All the best ,

To be honest, the past few weeks since around Christmas has been the best time ive has in school. Even throughout years 7-11 I had friends who I thought were good and actually cared about me but I realise now that they didn’t give a ****. I actually sometimes even look forward to going to school now whereas before I would avoid it whenever I could.
I love music, it’s good because it helps me forget everything for a bit. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Ahmayn
One thing I feel has been detrimental for my relationships with people is paranoia that they think a certain way about me (in your case that she doesn't actually like you and is using you) when really it was all in my head. Doesn't mean she definitely isn't, be cautious, but i'd say try not to worry to much about it if she is and just enjoy yourself mate. Also a good shout would be take up some hobbies man, will fill up some spare time and allow you to meet people (I don't have anxiety so it might be not as easy as that, but I feel the only way to start to be more social is to get out your comfort zone like that). I find thinking about your potential and developing yourself helps fight depression, and in a couple years when you go off to Uni or whatever after 6th form you might be more like the person you want to be.

Life changes a lot mate, I know people who have been through depression who are the happiest people I know now. You'll get through it man :smile:

It’s like I sort of know that she ain’t using me but I’m still worried. From little things she says it actually feels genuine. She has made me feel more confident (not a lot and still got a very long way to go). She doesn’t even know how down I’ve been and yet she has still helped without knowing.
I did have a hobby but I had to stop a few weeks ago as we just can’t afford it anymore.
I find it so hard to talk to anyone it’s impossible to explain, I’m hoping that I’m going be able to talk to more people by the end of sixth form. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending