The Student Room Group

Theoretical Physics to Maths Part III

Would a Theoretical Phsyics BSc from UCL be good enough to apply to Maths Part III Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics, given that the degree is complemented by a lot of self maths study.

Are people with straight Mathematics degrees preferred when applying to DAMTP? and are there any stats for how many people receive offers with a non Mathematics degree.

Reply 1
Original post by Mikasadoge
Would a Theoretical Phsyics BSc from UCL be good enough to apply to Maths Part III Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics, given that the degree is complemented by a lot of self maths study.

Are people with straight Mathematics degrees preferred when applying to DAMTP? and are there any stats for how many people receive offers with a non Mathematics degree.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/part-iii-prospective
"Academic Entrance Requirements
The MASt/MMath is a mathematically challenging and intensive course for well-qualified students with a high level of independence and self motivation. The minimum entry requirement for non-Cambridge graduates is normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification."
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/part-iii-prospective
"Academic Entrance Requirements
The MASt/MMath is a mathematically challenging and intensive course for well-qualified students with a high level of independence and self motivation. The minimum entry requirement for non-Cambridge graduates is normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification."

Oh I'm aware of that, I probably worded my questions a bit weirdly. I meant more in a general kind of sense.

The only stats I could find was this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453567/response/1100270/attach/2/FOI%202017%20635%20Javed%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

it's useful but doesn't tell me the previous degree, just wondering how many actually get in with a Theoretical Physics degree.
Reply 3
Oh I'm aware of that, I probably worded my questions a bit weirdly. I meant more in a general kind of sense.

The only stats I could find was this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/453567/response/1100270/attach/2/FOI%202017%20635%20Javed%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

it's useful but doesn't tell me the previous degree, just wondering how many actually get in with a Theoretical Physics degree.

Ask DAMTP....

But if the entry requirements say they accept a physics degree then they accept them. It would be a complete waste of your, and their, time if it wasn't the case.
Reply 4
Ask DAMTP....

But if the entry requirements say they accept a physics degree then they accept them. It would be a complete waste of your, and their, time if it wasn't the case.

Wouldn't have thought that they'd respond to me tbh.

And yeah that makes sense, thanks :smile: and sorrry if I wasted a bit of your time.
Reply 5
Wouldn't have thought that they'd respond to me tbh.

And yeah that makes sense, thanks :smile: and sorrry if I wasted a bit of your time.

No not at all :smile:

Honestly, ping them an email. Maybe ask how many physicists applied in recent years, and how many did they give offers to.

Or formally request a breakdown via whatdotheyknow...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
No not at all :smile:

Honestly, ping them an email. Maybe ask how many physicists applied in recent years, and how many did they give offers to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! thanks a lot, enjoy your night
Reply 7
Will do! thanks a lot, enjoy your night

I certainly will :biggrin:

(And check my edit above)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending