The Student Room Group

Girls, How Would You Like a Guy to Approach/Hit on You?

I've always wondered when I'm out and about, how to approach girls and flirt/see where I stand with them. I've never been really sure what is ok and usually works or what doesn't. I was hoping I and maybe others could get some advice.

It doesn't even have to be to become intimate. How would you like a guy who maybe even wants to be friends, to talk to you?

I feel like if I randomly went up to a girl and tried talking to her, it'd be really weird and awkward. So what advice would you give?

How would you like a guy to approach you ? And what would be acceptable to say?

Scroll to see replies

if you are genuinely asking women for something expecting them to appreciate the phrase 'hitting on you', I think you have a lot of work.
watch pua videos on youtube. will open your eyes but don't get too deep into it.
Be straight but polite.
Original post by tabbyglitter
Be straight but polite.

I was more trying to ask about how you would like the guy to initiate the conversation (Talk about)? Talk about dogs? weather etc
Depends how old you are haha
Original post by CynicalBeing
I was more trying to ask about how you would like the guy to initiate the conversation (Talk about)? Talk about dogs? weather etc

Would you want to talk about the weather?
Original post by showaeski

This. Weather is a never lmao
Original post by Purplebottle
Depends how old you are haha

A bit pathetic but mid 20's. I've always been the introvert guy but I can be outgoing around people I know.
Original post by showaeski

No lol but I was giving examples. Like what's normally a good subject to discuss when talking to random people.
A bit pathetic but mid 20's. I've always been the introvert guy but I can be outgoing around people I know.

No lol but I was giving examples. Like what's normally a good subject to discuss when talking to random people.

Make an observation about them or the situation.
I've always wondered when I'm out and about, how to approach girls and flirt/see where I stand with them. I've never been really sure what is ok and usually works or what doesn't. I was hoping I and maybe others could get some advice.

It doesn't even have to be to become intimate. How would you like a guy who maybe even wants to be friends, to talk to you?

I feel like if I randomly went up to a girl and tried talking to her, it'd be really weird and awkward. So what advice would you give?

How would you like a guy to approach you ? And what would be acceptable to say?

A simple hi and then ask me questions to get to know me better, then try and wrap it up along the lines I really enjoyed talking to you, can we hang around another time?
You have to try and find someone that you think would generally be interested in talking to you. (No offence) You'll just need to assess the situation and find someone that looks like they don't have their best friend on their arm just in case you get labeled a creep or whatever. Sometimes this situation it'll work out. Also, try and find a piece of common ground to base a conversation to build on. Talk about the music, or noise, or atmosphere, decorations, food, drink, whatever! If she doesn't seem interested and she tries to end the conversation and brush you off, understand that she doesn't want to talk. If she carries it all on then there you go.
This probably isn't the most helpful answer. But I tried :smile:

Is this like day time? Or in bars/clubs? They have very different “rules” imo.
Original post by myquestiontsr
A simple hi and then ask me questions to get to know me better, then try and wrap it up along the lines I really enjoyed talking to you, can we hang around another time?

You make it sound easier than it is lol.
Original post by Anonymous
You have to try and find someone that you think would generally be interested in talking to you. (No offence) You'll just need to assess the situation and find someone that looks like they don't have their best friend on their arm just in case you get labeled a creep or whatever. Sometimes this situation it'll work out. Also, try and find a piece of common ground to base a conversation to build on. Talk about the music, or noise, or atmosphere, decorations, food, drink, whatever! If she doesn't seem interested and she tries to end the conversation and brush you off, understand that she doesn't want to talk. If she carries it all on then there you go.
This probably isn't the most helpful answer. But I tried :smile:

Why can't you girls not walk around in cliques 24/7 so us shy guys can approach you and not be put off by rejection in a crowd setting. Yeah I understand most of it. I was asking more along of the lines of what you would want the guy to talk about if they decided to strike up a convo or rather what to avoid talking about. How to start of the convo etc
Original post by cat_mac
Is this like day time? Or in bars/clubs? They have very different “rules” imo.

Bars is a little easier as I feel that girls tend to be a little less subtle and will hint it out. You can start of by offering a drink and then letting the convo flow, Not awkward or weird to do. A no would be less embarrassing in that setting too.

I'm talking about day time settings.
Yes be decent and genuine. Get rid of those cheesy or pick up lines people use on dating apps HAHAH
I personally find guys who approach and genuinely tell me the true feelings and thought he has is the best 💗 even the guys could be nervous but we dont care
I suppose the obvious thing would be to make a casual comment about something neutral, maybe about the place you're in or something they're doing or drinking depending where you are. The response they give you will tell you straight away whether they're interested in talking, because with a conversation starter like that would be super easy to either shut down it down right away or continue on with it
Bars is a little easier as I feel that girls tend to be a little less subtle and will hint it out. You can start of by offering a drink and then letting the convo flow, Not awkward or weird to do. A no would be less embarrassing in that setting too.

If it was a complete stranger, I wouldn’t want to be approached at all tbh. I’d feel pretty uncomfortable if a stranger came up to me and started chatting to me. I can’t speak for all women though.
Be cordial and add some value to her life with your words.
Never to judge him by his looks..would get to know him

During the day I don't really like being approached unless you're very good looking and have something interesting to say. When you get pounced on during the daytime it can kind of catch you off guard and make you feel a bit awkward. My favourite compliments are when someone says they like my t shirt or trainers etc. but only because that's where I put my effort in. Obviously if a girl is just wearing white converse then a compliment on her shoes is going to sound lame as fck. Or simply just stop them and say something like 'Can I just say you're absolutely gorgeous' and then continue the conversation. But keep it short, it's so uncomfortable having a full on conversation when you're not interested. So just say your piece, have a short convo, exchange names or details and then hit her up later and see how responsive she is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending