The Student Room Group

Don’t know what A-Level’s to choose!

I’m constantly changing my mind about what A-Level’s I want to do. I either want to enter the STEM sector or the humanities sector. The sixth forms that I applied to all offer me the chance to study 4 subjects.

The subjects I want to choose are:

Economics
English Literature
History
Government and Politics

Or

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Literature (this could be replaced by Physics)

Could any current A-Level student who study any of these subjects help me by weighing out the pros and the cons of these subjects and explaining whether they regret choosing them or not.

Your help would be very much appreciated :smile:
if you're really unsure, take maths, chemistry and history, plus one more, or more generally two sciences and at least one humanity. this will keep almost all subjects open to you at university as most science courses require two science/maths subjects with chemistry and maths being the most generally applicable, and most humanities only requiring one essay subject at a level with history being one of the most widely respected and useful a levels
Original post by aesthete1
if you're really unsure, take maths, chemistry and history, plus one more, or more generally two sciences and at least one humanity. this will keep almost all subjects open to you at university as most science courses require two science/maths subjects with chemistry and maths being the most generally applicable, and most humanities only requiring one essay subject at a level with history being one of the most widely respected and useful a levels

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Tyanna Brown
I’m constantly changing my mind about what A-Level’s I want to do. I either want to enter the STEM sector or the humanities sector. The sixth forms that I applied to all offer me the chance to study 4 subjects.

Economics
English Literature
History
Government and Politics

Or

Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Could any current A-Level student who study any of these subjects help me by weighing out the pros and the cons of these subjects and explaining whether they regret choosing them or not.

Taking History and/or Literature will essentially open up every humanities door for you.

In terms of STEM, as said above, 2 sciences are pretty useful. Chemistry and Biology for Medicine, or Chemistry and Physics if you’d like to open up something like engineering or economics. (Although maths would be needed..)

But, yeah. Taking:
Chemistry
Maths/Biology/Physics
History
Lit

(Can replace history or lit with economics or gov and pol)

Will open up many doors!
Original post by FloralHybrid
Taking History and/or Literature will essentially open up every humanities door for you.

In terms of STEM, as said above, 2 sciences are pretty useful. Chemistry and Biology for Medicine, or Chemistry and Physics if you’d like to open up something like engineering or economics. (Although maths would be needed..)

But, yeah. Taking:
Chemistry
Maths/Biology/Physics
History
Lit

(Can replace history or lit with economics or gov and pol)

Will open up many doors!

Thank you for the response :smile:
I think you should choose the subjects you like and enjoy most. There will always be a course and job available for you to do in the future, so don't worry about this.

I am currently doing my first year, and I am doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Out of all those three, I enjoy Chemistry the most. It has the perfect balance of content, calculations and applying knowledge. It can be hard, but if you re-read, and practise, you will do well.

Biology is pure content. There is a lot to revise.

I find Maths quite hard, but once you know the method, you just need to know when to apply it.

Choose what you truly enjoy, and I honestly mean it ! :smile:

Economics
English Literature
History
Government and Politics

Or

Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Maths
Physics
Economics
English lit / history

These could give you a mix of both if you are yet undecided. Physics can be replaced with any science but if you want to keep your options open then do 2 stem and 2 humanities
Original post by Luna Quibbler
I think you should choose the subjects you like and enjoy most. There will always be a course and job available for you to do in the future, so don't worry about this.

I am currently doing my first year, and I am doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Out of all those three, I enjoy Chemistry the most. It has the perfect balance of content, calculations and applying knowledge. It can be hard, but if you re-read, and practise, you will do well.

Biology is pure content. There is a lot to revise.

I find Maths quite hard, but once you know the method, you just need to know when to apply it.

Choose what you truly enjoy, and I honestly mean it ! :smile:

Do you feel as if there are loads of resources for you to use when you do struggle with maths? Because I feel as though with maths I don’t get a lot of support from my teachers and the only way I’m surviving GCSE maths is through MathsGenie 😂 Are there any similar resources like MathsGenie for A-Level maths. I’m asking this because I do not find that maths comes naturally for me and only works if I try that bit harder than everyone else. 🙂

Thank you for replying as well :smile:
Do you feel as if there are loads of resources for you to use when you do struggle with maths? Because I feel as though with maths I don’t get a lot of support from my teachers and the only way I’m surviving GCSE maths is through MathsGenie 😂 Are there any similar resources like MathsGenie for A-Level maths. I’m asking this because I do not find that maths comes naturally for me and only works if I try that bit harder than everyone else. 🙂

Thank you for replying as well :smile:

Hi again,

I don't think they're are loads of resources, as I also don't get much support from my teachers. I loved maths before, because my GCSE teacher was amazing, but she left sadly. I have a maths textbook, called edexcel pure maths 1 for A-level, and I think the explanations in there for most of the topics is quite good. But if I'm really struggling, I would just ask my friend if she knows how to do it.

Also practise is very important for maths. So if you want to get better practise !

Best,

Luna :smile:
Original post by Luna Quibbler
Hi again,

I don't think they're are loads of resources, as I also don't get much support from my teachers. I loved maths before, because my GCSE teacher was amazing, but she left sadly. I have a maths textbook, called edexcel pure maths 1 for A-level, and I think the explanations in there for most of the topics is quite good. But if I'm really struggling, I would just ask my friend if she knows how to do it.

Also practise is very important for maths. So if you want to get better practise !

Best,

Luna :smile:

Thank you so much for your help 😃

Quick Reply

Latest