The Student Room Group

Glasgow Dental School or Dundee? 2018

Hi everyone, as a Scottish undergrad I’ve been given an unconditional offer to Dundee and to Glasgow for dentistry. I’m completely stuck on which one to choose- and as I’m on the other side of the world I can’t even visit before the deadline to see which I sway towards. If anyone has any info or comments on either Dental School, I’d be really grateful!
From my own bias viewpoint I'd recommend Glasgow - personally I enjoy the city more. It has more to offer than dundee. However if you are looking for a course with a warmer nature, dundee is more suiting
Glasgow for sure ! You start to get your own patients about a year (I think) before Dundee students and this experience is invaluable !
Reply 3
Original post by DentalApplicant1
From my own bias viewpoint I'd recommend Glasgow - personally I enjoy the city more. It has more to offer than dundee. However if you are looking for a course with a warmer nature, dundee is more suiting
Do you study dentistry at Glasgow? How do you find the course and social life? I’ve seen that the dental school is situated quite far from the uni campus in the west end
Reply 4
Original post by 12345helppp
Glasgow for sure ! You start to get your own patients about a year (I think) before Dundee students and this experience is invaluable !
that’s so useful to know! Where did you find this out?
Original post by mkd27
Do you study dentistry at Glasgow? How do you find the course and social life? I’ve seen that the dental school is situated quite far from the uni campus in the west end

Not yet, I will be in September but I live in Glasgow so general living is much better as I've experienced dundee aswell.
Reply 6
I’m a first year dental student at Dundee and I couldn’t recommend it more. There is such a great atmosphere and everybody is so lovely. The social life is great, I’ve only been here since September but I’m having the time of my life.
Reply 7
Original post by bettyx
I’m a first year dental student at Dundee and I couldn’t recommend it more. There is such a great atmosphere and everybody is so lovely. The social life is great, I’ve only been here since September but I’m having the time of my life.
ahh thank you that’s so good to know! Did you choose Dundee over Glasgow?
Reply 8
Original post by mkd27
ahh thank you that’s so good to know! Did you choose Dundee over Glasgow?

Yeah I was in the exact same position as you but I ended up going with Dundee because I just felt there was a more welcoming atmosphere
Original post by bettyx

This is such a helpful reply. Nice to hear you're enjoying the course! Is it a big course? How did you come to decide to study at Dundee? (i.e where are you from in the UK and how have you settled in). Sorry for all the questions I've received an offer from Dundee and want to hear what people have to say about it! 😃😂
Reply 10
Original post by cambourn24
This is such a helpful reply. Nice to hear you're enjoying the course! Is it a big course? How did you come to decide to study at Dundee? (i.e where are you from in the UK and how have you settled in). Sorry for all the questions I've received an offer from Dundee and want to hear what people have to say about it! 😃😂

When did u hear from Glasgow? I'm a sixth year Scottish undergraduate nd I'm still waiting on Glasgow. I got an offer from Dundee but I really want to go to Glasgow. I've been to both nd personally I prefer Glasgow as I feel its more fun, more social and its more my style if that makes sense. To be fair, I did really like the dental school in Dundee and I love how much of a student city it is.
Reply 11
Original post by cambourn24

The course is challenging but it’s so interesting and enjoyable that it makes it a lot easier to take in. I’m actually from Glasgow but decided to go to Dundee because I loved the atmosphere and I wanted to move out and have more independence. I’m definetly glad I chose Dundee and I’ve settled in great
Reply 12
Original post by ahfae
When did u hear from Glasgow? I'm a sixth year Scottish undergraduate nd I'm still waiting on Glasgow. I got an offer from Dundee but I really want to go to Glasgow. I've been to both nd personally I prefer Glasgow as I feel its more fun, more social and its more my style if that makes sense. To be fair, I did really like the dental school in Dundee and I love how much of a student city it is.

I heard back from Glasgow towards the end of March I think it was roughly about the 20th. I think they’re both great dental schools, but the student life at Dundee is great
Reply 13
Original post by bettyx
I heard back from Glasgow towards the end of March I think it was roughly about the 20th. I think they’re both great dental schools, but the student life at Dundee is great

Oh so have u taken a year out yeah? On a gap year or something?
Original post by bettyx
The course is challenging but it’s so interesting and enjoyable that it makes it a lot easier to take in. I’m actually from Glasgow but decided to go to Dundee because I loved the atmosphere and I wanted to move out and have more independence. I’m definetly glad I chose Dundee and I’ve settled in great

Yes you're right. Sounds like you're having a great time! Thanks for the info. Are you living on campus at the moment?
Reply 15
I’m quite a bit late but how on earth did you manage to get an unconditional from Dundee !!!
Any tips...my interview is in a week

Quick Reply

Latest