The Student Room Group

Is anyone else in the Straight-closet to their parents? I'm ashamed of liking girls

Am I the only person who is in the straight closet with their parents?

I'm ashamed of my parents knowing I'm a sexual being. But I'm also ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, like from when I used to say "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old, to now when I like girls.

So I can't admit to my parents that I am straight, I put on a totally asexual front with them. Is anyone else in this position?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CollectiveSoul

I'm ashamed of my parents knowing I'm a sexual being. But I'm also ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, like from when I used to say "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old, to now when I like girls.

So I can't admit to my parents that I am straight, I put on a totally asexual front with them. Is anyone else in this position?

Please tell me you arent serious
Original post by Jack22031994
Please tell me you arent serious

i know it's weird isn't it?
i know it's weird isn't it?

There is no such thing as a 'straight closet" Gay people are only 'in the closet' as it isnt the assumed norm (like being straight is), and straight people are not discriminated in the same way, so to compare them is disgraceful
There is no such thing as a 'straight closet" Gay people are only 'in the closet' as it isnt the assumed norm (like being straight is), and straight people are not discriminated in the same way, so to compare them is disgraceful

well I'm sorry Chairman Snowflake, please accept my avocado and skinny latte offering to your lordship to repent for my sociolinguistic sin.

But gay people remain in the closet for reasons other than being discriminated against you know, such as being ashamed to admit they are gay to their parents.
well I'm sorry Chairman Snowflake, please accept my avocado and skinny latte offering to your lordship to repent for my sociolinguistic sin.

But gay people remain in the closet for reasons other than being discriminated against you know, such as being ashamed to admit they are gay to their parents.

Me a Snowflake?? :rofl:

Well yeah that can be true, youre right, but comparing it to being 'ashamed to be straight' is frankly ridiculous.
Reply 6

Hiya. I just want to make sure I understand what you mean.
When you were younger you didn't like girls (or boys) and think you came across as a-sexual. Now you've started to like girls you're worried about breaking that a-sexual appearance. It's that right?

It's totally normal to start becoming more interested in people as you mature. It's nothing to be ashamed of and I very much doubt anybody will find it unusual. You weren't wrong earlier, you just went into people in that way yet. You can't be wrong about things like that and it's totally fine to change your mind too. That's just being human and growing up. There's nothing wrong about it.

I know exactly what you mean man. When your parents see you with females more often they'll get used to it. I doubt you're going to get in trouble for being straight, they might tease you about it a bit since you probably come off as a bit introverted and unsocial.
what the **** is this thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Nah. He made sense, he's saying, he doesnt want his parents to know he's sexually active or wants to have sex. It was a joke to me, dont think he was calling for a straight v gay debate.

Anyway OP I've been in one and never speak to my mum about sex, dont even say the word around her but she knows Im obv having sex by now, Im 25. Wen I started having sex and getting oral I was 12 or 13, obv never said that to her. Finally had intercourse at 15 and wrote a rap about it to my mum, read it to her, and she asked, "Did you have sex?" That's it lol. She's lowkey ashamed I'm not a virgin good son.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
When you were younger you didn't like girls (or boys) and think you came across as a-sexual. Now you've started to like girls you're worried about breaking that a-sexual appearance. It's that right?

It's totally normal to start becoming more interested in people as you mature. It's nothing to be ashamed of and I very much doubt anybody will find it unusual. You weren't wrong earlier, you just went into people in that way yet. You can't be wrong about things like that and it's totally fine to change your mind too. That's just being human and growing up. There's nothing wrong about it.

I meant like in general i'm always ashamed to admit i'm wrong. for instance I am ashamed to admit I was wrong about a political issue that I had an opinion on.

Most 5 year old boys say "yuck!" to girls. and when i became interested in them i was ashamed to admit that I had changed my mind and started to like them.

and as part of the 'innocent' image that surely everyone puts on infront of their parents, i took it to the extreme of not even wanting to admit i liked girls for that reason too, because if i did then, by extension, my parents would think i had a dirty mind etc. (only as far as is normal)
Reply 11
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Original post by Kindred

yea, glad I understand as well otherwise I went fully into over-share mode

He's not a snowflake. You're the snowflake for thinking being the norm is something that requires some sort of admittance.
I meant like in general i'm always ashamed to admit i'm wrong. for instance I am ashamed to admit I was wrong about a political issue that I had an opinion on.

Most 5 year old boys say "yuck!" to girls. and when i became interested in them i was ashamed to admit that I had changed my mind and started to like them.

and as part of the 'innocent' image that surely everyone puts on infront of their parents, i took it to the extreme of not even wanting to admit i liked girls for that reason too, because if i did then, by extension, my parents would think i had a dirty mind etc. (only as far as is normal)

Honestly I think the issue here might be how much you think about your reputation and what people think. There's no shame in being wrong sometimes and being able to admit that is really strong. And in this case I think maybe you're worrying a bit too much about how your parents see you. Obviously people don't really want their parents knowing all their dirty secrets, but this isn't really a big deal. It's just being human.
The way I see it your thinking so much about how people see you has dug you a bit of a hole. I can get that. I kinda did the same when I was younger. You can move past it though. Just be you and even if that is a bit different from what people expected they'll get used to it.
Reply 15
I think most of us have been that five year old, and pretty much everybody adult knew we'd grow out of it. I'd not worry about it.
This the type of stuff they teach at St Andies? Elite my arse.
nahh I want your mum, I still feel a cloud of shame with mine smh
Original post by gjd800
I think most of us have been that five year old, and pretty much everybody adult knew we'd grow out of it. I'd not worry about it.

I was worse when I was a kid lol I was very inappropriate and obnoxious about sex. Just screamed at random girls to blow me and whipped it out and all. Had my first kiss right in the middle of class lesson, didnt give a ****.
Reply 19
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I was worse when I was a kid lol I was very inappropriate and obnoxious about sex. Just screamed at random girls to blow me and whipped it out and all. Had my first kiss right in the middle of class lesson, didnt give a ****.

I was too busy pretending to be a T Rex when I was 5!

Quick Reply

Latest