The Student Room Group

UK returns to budget surplus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rinsed

There is an argument that 20th century growth was so high (astonishingly so by historic standards) because of a series of groundbreaking events. The invention of the car, the plane, the computer, the robot, the internet and the corresponding automation and efficiency they all heralded. Likewise the entrance of women into the workforce, basically doubling the productive population. These are all one time events and, arguably, we've plucked all the low-hanging fruit and shouldn't necessarily expect any new innovations to dramatically boost growth figures quite in the same way.

Which is precisely why we should be focusing on delivering greater economic equality, rather than chasing the impossible dream of infinite and high growth. This was the crux of Piketty's thesis. The high growth and relative economic equality of the 20th century can be largely put down to the recoveries that followed the shocks of the world wars and Great Depression. Low economic and population growth, over the long term, is causing us to regress back to the patrimonial rentier capitalism and wealth accumulation that characterised the 19th century. It's a dour prospect, no matter how much the defenders of capitalism like to pretend inequality is a non-issue.
Original post by Rinsed
The things you're talking about are legitimate investment though, which wasn't really the problem. You're putting money in today, but expecting benefits in the future, so that's not really my quibble. You can argue with the cost-effectiveness of some of those investments, but that's really an argument of implementation rather than principle.

The problem was the current deficit, where we are borrowing money to meet day-to-day spending. Things like welfare payments and civil-service salaries. There is no prospective payout down the line, this is money we were borrowing just to stop basic services running out of cash. Keynsians will tell you that running a current deficit can be helpful in a downturn, but running a persistent deficit in years of growth and plenty is just unforgivably poor economic management.

Likewise today, we're currently growing, but on average recessions happen every seven years. We may have eliminated the current account deficit, but the debt burden is still sky-high by historic standards. If we don't get debt under control we won't have that buffer when times get harder, as they always do eventually.

There is an argument that 20th century growth was so high (astonishingly so by historic standards) because of a series of groundbreaking events. The invention of the car, the plane, the computer, the robot, the internet and the corresponding automation and efficiency they all heralded. Likewise the entrance of women into the workforce, basically doubling the productive population. These are all one time events and, arguably, we've plucked all the low-hanging fruit and shouldn't necessarily expect any new innovations to dramatically boost growth figures quite in the same way.

Interesting points.

I guess re civil service salaries, the argument would be that the country needs its best and brightest in the civil service and it has to pay high salaries to tempt those who would otherwise chase the high corporate salaries.

As for what could be next to increase productivity, the most obvious candidate would surely be automation. That could potentially increase productivity exponentially which may again allow for a period of big spending and big growth.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I would try communism though if it was of the right type

I did. I was a Marxist of some sort for 8 years 😂

Still find some of his stuff interesting about economics but some if it is completely wrong and the societal stuff is hopeless, but I can st least see where he’s coming from unlike some if his discipline
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DeBruyne18
Interesting points.

I guess re civil service salaries, the argument would be that the country needs its best and brightest in the civil service and it has to pay high salaries to tempt those who would otherwise chase the high corporate salaries.

As for what could be next to increase productivity, the most obvious candidate would surely be automation. That could potentially increase productivity exponentially which may again allow for a period of big spending and big growth.

It’s important to have good growth but I’d actually say it is more important right now to focus on structural issues to make life easier for the people.

Namely, housing, transport, workers rights and how services are delivered to them both public and utilities.
Original post by paul514
Again, NO!

Your thinking is way too narrow, both need to be done and councils can be overruled on planning by the government which has been happening more and more. There are two big occasions for this in the last year in Birmingham alone where I live.

Councils have had their budgets cut from central government and given local revenue raising powers which don’t fill the gap, what planet are you living on? My local council has two billion of debt.

Overruling councils via central government just exacerbates the problem because you have the council wasting money trying to block things, then central government wasting money overturning the decisions, all the while the time to get construction started is still far above reducing the powers of the council in the first place; also the notion that local councils are the pinnacle of efficiency and there is no wasteful spending is absurd, just had a quick look through the Suffolk accounts (first county council that came up on Google for me) and nearly 1% of the budget goes to a company where two of the non-executive directors sit on the council. I have decided to look up how much this cycle path is costing, the second phase which is being built now is costing over £1000 per meter and of those who have used phase 1 so far over 80% use it once a month or less frequently.
Original post by bob072
Where did I say Labour created the global financial crash? Nowhere.

But they made things very difficult for us, you struggle to follow arguments but try this without just retorting Momentum simple slogans.

- They ran a deficit at a time where we had uninterrupted growth for ages; we should have used that time to have a responsible budget with a surplus.

- When we borrow money, investors buy government bonds. Until we can buy them back we have to pay interest every year (effectively wasted taxation), and when investors lose confidence in us paying back like with Greece we can't borrow anything for schools or hospitals (or invading Iraq) at the time it's needed most.

- If New Labour had paid off more of the debt we would have more to spend on helping grow the economy again and investing in public services.

- Since you mention hospitals, the spending on PFI contracts adds tens of billions to our national debt unnessecarily. Tony Blair opened our borders unconditionally to 8 former communist countries putting far more pressure on public services

- They signed us up to EU integration so our financial services was regulated not in Westminster but by the EU/IMF. The main problem with banking was not deregulation, but changing from experienced banking where good decisions were made to box-ticking.

This 'opening up the borders' guff falls flat when the EU already permits countries to send back EU immigrants who fail to secure work after a given period of time. We just didn't exercise that right, because these immigrants tend to be net contributors to the economy and fill areas where we either lack skilled workers or where British workers can't be bothered.

The global financial crash originated in the US where Bill Clinton started mass deregulation and Dubya put it into overdrive. Bankers had free rein to commit fraud and when the world's biggest economy goes pop it's going to hit you whether you like it or not. Could Labour have been more prudent while in government-absolutely. Have the Tories come anywhere near meeting their promises-absolutely not and things are cut as far as they will go.
Original post by Davij038
I did. I was a Marxist of some sort for 8 years 😂

I mean in a practical real way.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I mean in a practical real way.

What do you mean? Like living in a commune or something?
Original post by Rinsed
I am not going to knock everything Labour ever did, but to a large extent they were able to spend money to achieve their goals because Major left them with a strong budgetary position. The Conservatives were forced to adopt a policy of austerity because Brown had left them with a very weak budgetary position.

That wasn't my memory of 2008. I seem to remember a global recession starting in the US sub-prime housing market. The result was a run on some of the weaker banks in the UK. The government was left with no choice but to bail them out. This combined with a rapid contraction of the UK economy left the government with significantly lower income and larger outgoings in the perfect storm. I was no fan of Brown, but I wouldn't say that government policy was directly the result of this nightmare scenario although I would agree that it didn't go anywhere to preventing the catastrophe that was 2008.
At the same time homelessness skyrocketed. There's always two sides to the same story. "The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members".
Original post by Rinsed
I am not blaming everything on Brown, but he demonstrably showed a lack of prudence in the decade he was in charge up of the treasury. Had he been more circumspect in his spending, the UK budget would have fared better in the stresses of the crisis. He was not responsible for the crisis, but he was responsible for the fact we were so unprepared.

Brown hiked spending beyond the government's income, and we were running a current account deficit from basically the moment he took over all the way up to the crisis. He told everyone this was fine because he had 'abolished boom and bust', but actually he was hubristic and irresponsible. And so, come the inevitable thunderclouds, we found ourselves in a much more precarious position than we should have done.

I get your point however two things come to my mind.

Debt is 85% of gdp and the government wants it below 60% before the next recession.
However debt peaked at 35% pre crash.

Second thing is who decides what is an ok debt to gdp ratio is?
Obviously a good one is as close to zero as possible but places like japan and China have double their gdp in debt.
For me that begs the question is there a new normal?

I’d argue at this point I couldn’t care less what debt went up to as long as what it was spent on had an ROI
Original post by Rinsed
The thing is though that 60% isn't seen as the optimal target, it's what's seen as achievable. I think everyone recognises the UK's finances are in a worse position than they were before the crash, although they could have been even worse had action not been taken.

As for what's an acceptable level for debt/GDP, it's pretty dependent on the fundamentals. You have to remember we are paying interest on this debt, and currently those interest payments are greater than this new "surplus" so we're technically still in deficit. A lot of those interest payments are money leaving the UK economy, so high debt will inevitably subtract from GDP growth and put downward pressure on sterling. Some debt is absolutely fine, but you absolutely must have a good idea how your future tax base is going to pay it off, or growth will suffer.

For advanced economies 100% is around the sort of level people start to worry if you'll ever pay it off. As you point out, debt has increased by 50% since the crisis, so if that were repeated we'd be in trouble, even if we got it to 60% beforehand. That's not to say you definitely won't pay it off, but investors start to get itchy feet, reducing growth and making paying it off that much harder.

I'd be wary comparing to non-Western economies too much. China is still a developing economy, and though growth is slowing it's still massive compared to western economies. They can handle high levels of debt because the tax base is expected to be large enough to handle it, whereas we'd be happy with 2% growth. They're also not exactly the freest of economies, which gives their government more leeway. Japan is in seriously dire straights with its debt, which is the main reason they've barely grown for like two decades. We seriously do not want to emulate Japan.

And once again, you don't get an ROI on debt to cover current expenditure. If you borrow to build a bridge, fine, there are projected future benefits to weigh the outlay against. If you borrow to maintain welfare payments, OK you're avoiding social pain, but where's the return? The money is just consumed and we have to reclaim if from future taxes.

I get the arguments but like I said where’s the line there seems to be a new normal, like you said 2% growth seems ok now it used to be 3.5 to 5% for a long time.

I admit China is a different kettle of fish but japan isn’t who has 3 times the debt maybe that says we can go half way? The point is we don’t know and I feel that’s something that should be honestly worked out to know the parameters we can work in.

As for spending on day to day I agree, if we want more we will have to pay more tax again that’s a debate that needs to be had and it can’t be yea let’s whack it up for the rich as per usual.

So like I said in the last post borrowing now in big big fashion for stuff that has an ROI of which we have many things to spend that on is ok but that’s not what’s being talked about in politics, and it should also bump growth and wages up.
Original post by Rinsed

Brown hiked spending beyond the government's income

Not quite. His day-to-day spending was bob on. He borrowed for capital expenditure which is no bad thing. And we are better off for that as we now have many new hospitals and schools to show for it. I would question the public private ownership model though. What he didn't take into account was the fact that the economy would potentially take such a massive hit. But then, why would he? Why would anyone? How many people who depend on two incomes have made provision for their partner suddenly dying? It happens but most do not heed that basic fact.
Original post by Rinsed
All businesses (especially financial businesses) prepare for the risk of a financial shock by holding excess capital

You would think so wouldn't you? Seems Goldman Sachs, Northern Rock, RBS and Lloyds to name four global banks didn't heed your advice. And for all the reassurances, new legislation, inspections and due process, I don't believe for a second that it couldn't happen all over again.
Original post by Rinsed
And if it were up to me we'd have let them go to the wall, to encourage the others.

I wouldn’t have but I would have made all the banks have separate entity’s for personal/business banking from their market trading.

That way when they mess up again you really can let them fail.
Original post by Rinsed
And if it were up to me we'd have let them go to the wall, to encourage the others.

Thank goodness you weren't able to make that decision. That surely would be like deciding one evening to remove all the roads in the country to stop pollution?
Original post by Rinsed
Taxpayers should by no means be expected to bail out the risk-taking of big businesses. If nothing else, it introduces a moral hazard where bankers have every reason to think "if I screw this up the government will probably help us out".

Agreed to a point. Except those risk taking businesses also happen to provide services upon which we can not do without. Like I said above, can you imagine the roads being handed to banks who take risks, go out of business and then we can't use the roads? It just would never be allowed to happen. Same with the banks. The only problem at the time is that no one thought it could ever happen. And it did.
Reply 197
Original post by Rinsed
Ordinary banking customers' balances should have been guaranteed, but otherwise if they were insolvent they should have been liquidated.

No, it's just the operations of a proper free market, as opposed to the *******ised corporatist version we have today. Taxpayers should by no means be expected to bail out the risk-taking of big businesses. If nothing else, it introduces a moral hazard where bankers have every reason to think "if I screw this up the government will probably help us out".

There were banks which did not have sketchy business models and which did not need government money. They should have had the chance to take the place of their poorly-run competitors. Instead we have the likes of RBS still knocking around, making losses and generally performing poorly.

Who's not an ordinary banking customer?

And how would the cash have got to the ordinary ones?
This may be a short-term situation until Brexit, for which we will be paying until 2064.
Original post by KingHarold
This may be a short-term situation until Brexit, for which we will be paying until 2064.

I doubt there will be an EU to pay in the 2060s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending