The Student Room Group

Work experience: Earth science/Environmental geoscience

I want to do earth science at uni, what work experience should i do please?
x
Reply 1
monkeyytastic
I want to do earth science at uni, what work experience should i do please?
x

Any idea what you would like best? Palaeontology, Geophysics, Petrology, Fieldwork?

There are a few places to look at

www.bgs.ac.uk The British Geological Survey often offer summer placements for students which can also be paid they will advertise it on parts of the website. If you email and outline where you hope to study and your subjects and grades they may be able to offer you advice.

http://www.thegeologistsdirectory.com/ The Geologists directory is an excellent resource providing all company details in order for a email enquiry into work experience all the companies are listed as well as contacts. head up a basic C.V and cover letter and email a few that take your intrest.

http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/gsl/site/GSL/lang/en/placements The Geological Society provides help and guidance on applying for work experience in the earth Science sector.

www.antarctica.ac.uk/ the British Antartic Survey based in Cambridge are actually looking for Work experience candidates that do Alevel. Send them a email via the contact us part of the site

Other than that apply to the petroleum consultancy firms out there the smaller companies such as Badley Ashton, Neftex etc as they are more likely to take you on. Bigger companies like Shell and BP may take you on but it could prove difficult.

The other extreme is working for an institution. At lot of Earth Science departments have Museums such as the Sedgwick, Oxford, Bristol, The Lapworth Musuem Birmingham and Manchester to name a few.

There is also the Natural History Museum in London which often recruites help in the summer months.
Reply 2
epoch
Any idea what you would like best? Palaeontology, Geophysics, Petrology, Fieldwork?

www.bgs.ac.uk The British Geological Survey often offer summer placements for students which can also be paid they will advertise it on parts of the website. If you email and outline where you hope to study and your subjects and grades they may be able to offer you advice.

http://www.thegeologistsdirectory.com/ The Geologists directory is an excellent resource providing all company details in order for a email enquiry into work experience all the companies are listed as well as contacts. head up a basic C.V and cover letter and email a few that take your intrest.

http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/gsl/site/GSL/lang/en/placements The Geological Society provides help and guidance on applying for work experience in the earth Science sector.

www.antarctica.ac.uk/ the British Antartic Survey based in Cambridge are actually looking for Work experience candidates that do Alevel. Send them a email via the contact us part of the site

Other than that apply to the petroleum consultancy firms out there the smaller companies such as Badley Ashton, Neftex etc as they are more likely to take you on. Bigger companies like Shell and BP may take you on but it could prove difficult.

The other extreme is working for an institution. At lot of Earth Science departments have Museums such as the Sedgwick, Oxford, Bristol, The Lapworth Musuem Birmingham and Manchester to name a few.

There is also the Natural History Museum in London which often recruites help in the summer months.

Thank you very much!!
epoch

Hey,
I'm a first year Geology student and am looking for summer work experience/jobs in Geology. I wonder if you could reccommend me any industries, places I could look into other then what you have already mentioned. I live just outside of London, so getting into London isn't a problem at all, if anything it would be preferred. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by juicyfruit
Hey,
I'm a first year Geology student and am looking for summer work experience/jobs in Geology. I wonder if you could reccommend me any industries, places I could look into other then what you have already mentioned. I live just outside of London, so getting into London isn't a problem at all, if anything it would be preferred. Thanks! :smile:

did u do any work exp at alevel for your geology degree?
Original post by anonymousmoon

You're definitely not expected to have work experience for a geology degree. I managed to get a week in UCL's Earth Sciences department. It was fun and worth doing, but I wouldn't say it was a stand-out part of my application.
Original post by Plagioclase
You're definitely not expected to have work experience for a geology degree. I managed to get a week in UCL's Earth Sciences department. It was fun and worth doing, but I wouldn't say it was a stand-out part of my application.

thats really cool! what did you do for your ucas?? -- sorry, confused alevel student here in serious need of an earth science student help on my dead future

jafhlj soz, another reply but what unis did u get accepted into if u dont mind me asking
thats really cool! what did you do for your ucas?? -- sorry, confused alevel student here in serious need of an earth science student help on my dead future

I actually uploaded my personal statement onto TSR a few years ago but it seems to have vanished, oh well. I mainly talked about what interests me most in the earth sciences (climate and palaeoclimate in my case), I talked about the reading I had done (mainly discussed two books) and then I spoke a little bit about my EPQ and some competitions I took part in. The most important thing is that you're reading around your subject - that's the best way you can work out if a subject is for you. You do not need a bunch of awards or work experience in your personal statement, having some insightful comments about some books you've read is great.

Also, don't panic, you're not in a major rush. I hadn't made my decision between Materials Science and Earth Sciences until halfway through summer.

jafhlj soz, another reply but what unis did u get accepted into if u dont mind me asking

Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Southampton, Imperial.
(edited 6 years ago)
I actually uploaded my personal statement onto TSR a few years ago but it seems to have vanished, oh well. I mainly talked about what interests me most in the earth sciences (climate and palaeoclimate in my case), I talked about the reading I had done (mainly discussed two books) and then I spoke a little bit about my EPQ and some competitions I took part in. The most important thing is that you're reading around your subject - that's the best way you can work out if a subject is for you. You do not need a bunch of awards or work experience in your personal statement, having some insightful comments about some books you've read is great.

Also, don't panic, you're not in a major rush. I hadn't made my decision between Materials Science and Earth Sciences until halfway through summer.

Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Southampton, Imperial.

woa, thank you so much!!!
woa, thank you so much!!!

No problem, anything else just ask :smile:
No problem, anything else just ask :smile:

okay since u r tolerating my questions :smile:
what does earth science involve and do you think i will survive with my alevels (bio, chem, econ) on this course??
what uni do u go to and what alevels did u do?
do you really like the subject?
is there alot of job variety?
i was choosing between biology and earth sciences but it looks like theres not much money or just MUCH in biology so im leaning towards earth sciences preferably and ucl or imperial?
okay since u r tolerating my questions :smile:
what does earth science involve and do you think i will survive with my alevels (bio, chem, econ) on this course??
what uni do u go to and what alevels did u do?
do you really like the subject?
is there alot of job variety?
i was choosing between biology and earth sciences but it looks like theres not much money or just MUCH in biology so im leaning towards earth sciences preferably and ucl or imperial?

Haha that's a lot of questions. See below for my answers:

Spoiler

Geology is one degree subject where work experience isn't required, because it's particularly difficult to find experience which is relevant. I'm a second year geoscience student and I didn't do any work experience for it - as long as you can demonstrate your interest sufficiently and have/are predicted the grades required, you shouldn't have a problem :smile:
Haha that's a lot of questions. See below for my answers:

Spoiler

damn u are clever little lamb jfdskjfhsk thank you sm for taking ur time to reply!! you've given me some more confidence to take my time with choices etc so thank you!
Original post by leviathan1741
geology is one degree subject where work experience isn't required, because it's particularly difficult to find experience which is relevant. I'm a second year geoscience student and i didn't do any work experience for it - as long as you can demonstrate your interest sufficiently and have/are predicted the grades required, you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

thank you for giving me hope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending