The Student Room Group

University In General

Hello, I've applied for university and have already received some conditional/unconditional offers however I don't know what to expect when it comes to the time of university starting? What happens in what order, what's freshers week, how many professors will I have, and what would be some useful tips for me when moving into accommodation or starting uni overall? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Batuhannn
Hello, I've applied for university and have already received some conditional/unconditional offers however I don't know what to expect when it comes to the time of university starting? What happens in what order, what's freshers week, how many professors will I have, and what would be some useful tips for me when moving into accommodation or starting uni overall? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Okay so:
Freshers week (normally 1-2 weeks at the beginning of the academic term, mine was September but some are in October). You do tend to start lectures in this week but they are welcome lectures and rarely that important (still try and attend though).
Moving in: depending on how far you have to travel etc depends when you’ll wanna move in. I moved in 2 days before freshers week started (moved in on a Saturday, freshers started on a Monday). Helps you make friends and explore the campus. I recommend looking at start dates for each university as they’ll all be different!
Your teaching staff will change year to year, depending on how many module topics you have and who covers them. In first year I had between 6-10 different lecturers but I had different people who conducted my seminars too (they are like smaller class based lectures). This altered year to year.
You’ll want your accommodation sorted at least 2 months before starting (if they release them that early). But don’t stress if you don’t, I got mine a month before starting!
Freshers week is like welcome week but with lots of drinking (optional), going out, day and night activities, campus rallies and free food (make the most of it!). During this time would be best to sign up to any societies you are interested in (they’ll hold a society fair so don’t worry if you don’t know what exists yet). There’s normally something going on every single day so keep your eyes out and try everything!
Hope this helped ☺️

Freshers Week is the week before proper teaching starts. It's just an event-packed week with societies desperately trying to get more members :smile: Lots of clubbing/partying and drinking if that's your type of thing.

Professors? Depends on your timetable. Also, not all lecturers are professors.

Tips on moving into accommodation? You don't need to bring everything up with you. There are shops in university towns/cities and there's always online shopping.

So at some point you will chose a firm and possibly an insurance (not if your firm is unconditional).

When you have chosen your firm, you may be invited to apply for university accommodation. Most people will prefer to live in university halls for first year. They're normally super convenient for the uni and a great way to meet other students. They can be more expensive than comparable accommodation BUT they tend to ask for less money up front, and can be more forgiving if you drop out.

If you're a UK based student, you will also need to apply for student finance. The system is different for each UK based nation. I would start this process ASAP just in case you hit any snags.

After results day, when most people have confirmed their places, your uni will email you- usually letting you know term dates, important admin things you need to do, letting you know your accommodation details and so on. They may write to you as well.

Freshers week is the week before lectures start, and it's traditionally a chance for first years to get to know each other, so lots of social events are organised. Most unis will have a freshers fayre/societies fayre where you can join clubs and sports teams, which is a great way to meet people. You'll also usually have some general admin to do on freshers week, such as enrolling.

Most people move in the weekend before freshers week.

You'll usually find out your timetable for your first term once you've arrived at uni. The number of people teaching you may vary hugely- some modules may be led by one lecturer, some may be split between several, some may have 2/3 teaching different sections. Not everyone who teaches you will be a professor- this is a job title/honorary title given to certain roles. Most people who teach you will be a mix of PhD students, PostDocs, Lecturers and Senior lecturers.

You will usually get a personal and/or academic tutor. Their roles tend to vary from uni to uni, but often these people will be your first port of call if you have a general problem. If you have a specific problem with an assignment/topic, most lecturers have office hours when you can visit them for help. Don't expect to get to know all your lecturers well- some you may never speak to!

I hope this helps a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest