The Student Room Group

I cannot revise at all

I planned to start revising in January...it's now nearly mid March and I still haven't started revising at all for my GCSEs which is a shame as I'm slumping and my grade in English and Maths is a 4...I just don't know what to do, I've been revising intermittently but not usefully and my brain doesn't even want to revise. I've tried everything, throwing my phone out my room and turning off the internet multiple times, but even then my brain will have lost the motivation to revise. As far as I'm concerned, my brain has stopped me from revising. I'm at my wit's end TSR, should I just try some study drugs or what

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have the same problem, mainly because we have so much homework to do that there’s no time left to revise :-/ however I would recommend creating a revision timetable and planning out how long you’ll revise for so that there’s an end in sight while you do it. Also remember to include lots of 5-10 minute breaks and keep hydrated, it’ll help you to focus. Another solution is to see if you can stay after school somewhere and revise in a classroom. I do this with photography for around 4 hours a week and it really helps because it forces you to focus and you have the teachers aid if you need it.
Afterschool sessions, or staying behind after school to do revision would work better. Also going to see your teachers at lunch or revision sessions at lunch, again will get you into the revision frame of mind.
Original post by Anonymous
I planned to start revising in January...it's now nearly mid March and I still haven't started revising at all for my GCSEs which is a shame as I'm slumping and my grade in English and Maths is a 4...I just don't know what to do, I've been revising intermittently but not usefully and my brain doesn't even want to revise. I've tried everything, throwing my phone out my room and turning off the internet multiple times, but even then my brain will have lost the motivation to revise. As far as I'm concerned, my brain has stopped me from revising. I'm at my wit's end TSR, should I just try some study drugs or what

I'm certain that so-called 'study drugs' are not the answer.

There is still a lot of time before the exams so there is absolutely no need to panic - lots of students are feeling the same way, especially as most teachers haven't finished teaching the course yet.

Maybe start with setting yourself some easy short-term tasks e.g. learn one thing in half an hour, test yourself on it - enjoy the sense of satisfaction when you know that one thing.

It's also helpful to talk things over - with teachers, friends, family - whatever works for you.

Good luck! :smile:
Mate trust me you don't need to revise till mid/late April. I only did 2 hours a day and got 7 A*s 3A's 2Bs
I don’t think u need to worry too much, It’s about studying smart not hard. People always think it’s about the hours you put in, but if u try keep to short, fairly regular revision sessions you will be fine. Just do what works for you. Maths especially, it’s not about revising anything in particular, just do practice questions and then focus on what you are getting wrong. Good luck, it will be over soon enough
The lack of motivation will come from a feeling that there's no point or that the reward isn't there. If it legitimately doesn't matter what grades you get, then I don't see how you'll magically gain motivation. Revising isn't something you can force unless you want to do it.
Figure out what type of learner you are. Try different revision techniques e.g. if you're sick of writing notes watch a video recapping the topic if you're sick of reading the textbook, make flashcards and have someone test you or read them out yourself. If you are struggling to complete exam sample questions, review that topic by making a quick mindmap or poster
maybe if you can link up with a friend to study/revise together ?

:holmes:

Revise and conquer is what I say..also...Theology is key:smile:!!!!
#Grade 7 in Maths
#Grade 8 in RS
#Grade 3 in English
#Grade 7 in Geography
#Grade A* in Business
#Grade 7 and 6 in Science combined
#Grade 6 in Art
#Grade 8 in Food Preparation and Nutrition
I love RS and want a 9 and in Geography and in science and in Food Prep!!!!

easy bro can help you in your assignments inbox me

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/restaurant-opportunities/crew-member/
Break your work down. I did my GCSEs last year and there is a lot to learn and do. But don't let this stop you from working. Try working for half an hour with a 5-10 minute break and remember to do your work in small chunks. I promise this is NOT too late to start revising and you will be fine.
dont stress just do 30 minites per subject like 4 hours a day
I know it sounds really horrible but I was in the same boat last year but what worked for me was getting up early in the morning, like at 5/5:30 a.m. It sounds disgusting, I'm aware, but I found that when I woke up early, I found it much easier to get motivated and my brain seemed to absorb the information a lot easier and for a lot longer.

Hope this helps xx

That is so rude and crude!!! The Girl was just trying to ask for some help...stop insulting her!!!!
Original post by HettiBetti
That is so rude and crude!!! The Girl was just trying to ask for some help...stop insulting her!!!!

The fact that you think its insulting working at mcdonalds is rude and crude!!!
Original post by rickyrossman

Oh the fact that you can't think of your own insults is all the more cpycat and lame!!! Shame!!!
Original post by rickyrossman

Oh the fact that you can't think of your own insults is all the more copycat, lame and shame!!!
Original post by HettiBetti
Oh the fact that you can't think of your own insults is all the more cpycat and lame!!! Shame!!!

1327974741374.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending