The Student Room Group

Previous Further Maths GCSE Knowledge Needed?

Im choosing Further Maths and Maths at A-Level and was wondering if I needed to know any previous knowledge of Further Maths content at GCSE level. Would it help if I already knew it (I don't know any of the specs on GCSE FM)? Will I be just fine during lessons for Maths and Further Maths without knowing anything?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Y11_Maths
Im choosing Further Maths and Maths at A-Level and was wondering if I needed to know any previous knowledge of Further Maths content at GCSE level. Would it help if I already knew it (I don't know any of the specs on GCSE FM)? Will I be just fine during lessons for Maths and Further Maths without knowing anything?

Thanks

No the only pre-requisite for A Level maths and further maths is GCSE maths. Everything in GCSE further maths will be taught at some point in A Level.

If you did want a headstart for A Level in the summer then it's pointless looking at GCSE FM at that stage since you may as well look at A Level maths.
Original post by Notnek
No the only pre-requisite for A Level maths and further maths is GCSE maths. Everything in GCSE further maths will be taught at some point in A Level.

If you did want a headstart for A Level in the summer then it's pointless looking at GCSE FM at that stage since you may as well look at A Level maths.

Ok thank you very much.
Are there any books you would recommend to buy if I was to teach myself as much AS/A-Level content as possible?
Reply 3
Ok thank you very much.
Are there any books you would recommend to buy if I was to teach myself as much AS/A-Level content as possible?

I'd recommend the official textbooks. Do you know which exam board you'll be following for A Level?

Also, Examsolutions videos can be used to help learn everything when you're self-teaching.
Original post by Notnek
I'd recommend the official textbooks. Do you know which exam board you'll be following for A Level?

Also, Examsolutions videos can be used to help learn everything when you're self-teaching.

Yes I am doing AQA. Where can I get the official books?
Reply 5

I think it's a choice of the Hodder or Cambridge books for AQA - I'd recommend the Cambridge books:

E.g. maths year 1 pure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Mathematics-Student-Book-Year/dp/1316644227/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y5VZXX6NBQPQNG3B5EX0

further maths year 1 pure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Further-Mathematics-Student-Book/dp/131664443X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E29KX3NJYDEM2VCCKMFR

They're quite expensive though!

Order any books from the library and find out what school uses. Personally I don't think there's any need - practising GCSE algebra might be more useful. Make sure you have covered all the GCSE content.

GCSE Fmaths is not a great course imho, many schools won't touch it.

Ok thank you I will check these out
Ok thank you I will check these out

Don't buy them though - order from your local library.
Original post by Muttley79

What if they don’t have them?
Reply 10

Do libraries normally have the new textbooks? If they do then that’s much better than buying for the OP.
What if they don’t have them?

You can ask for any book to be ordered. We set prep work for the summer holidays [mainly algebra] so check if your school does this.
You can ask for any book to be ordered. We set prep work for the summer holidays [mainly algebra] so check if your school does this.

Ok I will ask, thanks
Reply 13
Personally I don't think there's any need - practising GCSE algebra might be more useful. Make sure you have covered all the GCSE.

I have to disagree with that. I find that students who know the material a bit before it’s taught in lessons can use the lesson to reinforce their understanding. Plus it also gives them confidence to ask and answer questions in lessons. The OP says he’s bored of GCSE so doing more seems like a waste of time.

I think self-studying in addition to learning the material is an excellent way to learn and is useful self-teaching prep for uni. Of course only a tiny minority of students with a passion for maths would want to self-teach so i’d never recommend it as a learning technique to someone who hadn’t considered it first.
Hi,

I did Additional Maths, not Further Maths at GCSE, since the courses were fairly same-same, I feel I can help.

These GCSEs do not specifically teach you new Further Maths content, they only help you by getting 'ahead of the game', if I may, by teaching you concepts from C1/C2 you will study in A Level normal Maths next year. I do FM and Maths A Level and found that doing the GCSE helped me greatly, however if you're taking FM, even if you don't take it you'll pick it up very quickly indeed, it's just optional, but if you're wanting to do extra maths next year, I wouldn't see why not doing extra maths this year, however this advice goes if the option is actually available in your school, if you haven't had the option to do it in your school, you'll be fine.
Original post by Notnek
I have to disagree with that. I find that students who know the material a bit before it’s taught in lessons can use the lesson to reinforce their understanding. Plus it also gives them confidence to ask and answer questions in lessons. The OP says he’s bored of GCSE so doing more seems like a waste of time.

I think self-studying in addition to learning the material is an excellent way to learn and is useful self-teaching prep for uni. Of course only a tiny minority of students with a passion for maths would want to self-teach so i’d never recommend it as a learning technique to someone who hadn’t considered it first.

+1 from me :smile:
Original post by Notnek

Why is he bored though? Lots of students who join our sixth form think they know GCSE but they often haven't been taught the whole spec. That's why our holiday sheets are useful to explore exactly what has been 'left out' as 'too hard'.
Original post by AryanGh
Hi,

I did Additional Maths, not Further Maths at GCSE, since the courses were fairly same-same, I feel I can help.

These GCSEs do not specifically teach you new Further Maths content, they only help you by getting 'ahead of the game', if I may, by teaching you concepts from C1/C2 you will study in A Level normal Maths next year. I do FM and Maths A Level and found that doing the GCSE helped me greatly, however if you're taking FM, even if you don't take it you'll pick it up very quickly indeed, it's just optional, but if you're wanting to do extra maths next year, I wouldn't see why not doing extra maths this year, however this advice goes if the option is actually available in your school, if you haven't had the option to do it in your school, you'll be fine.

I should be eligible to sit the further maths exam this year but I don’t think I will have enough time to learn the content and I don’t want to get a bad grade on my report. If this is what you mean
Reply 18
Why is he bored though? Lots of students who join our sixth form think they know GCSE but they often haven't been taught the whole spec. That's why our holiday sheets are useful to explore exactly what has been 'left out' as 'too hard'.

There are a tiny minority of students (although you see them a lot on TSR) who find GCSE very easy, even hard grade 9 questions. For these students I don’t see a problem with them looking ahead so they don’t get bored.

But I have advised the OP in the past to look at e.g. UKMT resources before considering A Level self-studying while still in Y11. I think the OP plans to start learning a bit of A Level in the summer to get a head start which sounds like a good plan to me.
Original post by Notnek
There are a tiny minority of students (although you see them a lot on TSR) who find GCSE very easy, even hard grade 9 questions. For these students I don’t see a problem with them looking ahead so they don’t get bored.

But I have advised the OP in the past to look at e.g. UKMT resources before considering A Level self-studying while still in Y11. I think the OP plans to start learning a bit of A Level in the summer to get a head start which sounds like a good plan to me.

I've never had one bored student - there is always new things they can explore which are not A level.

Quick Reply

Latest