The Student Room Group

Single Parent evidence

Hello , My mum was asked to provide some evidence regarding her marital status. She contacted her solicitor and they asked her to provide them with a letter of some sort because most people who come for it have this letter or document from student finance but i have not got this letter.
My mum does not work therefore can not show any 25% discount on her NI. All i have is letters of benefits she receives in her name and my name without my dad's name on it. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by MrBlank2
Hello , My mum was asked to provide some evidence regarding her marital status. She contacted her solicitor and they asked her to provide them with a letter of some sort because most people who come for it have this letter or document from student finance but i have not got this letter.
My mum does not work therefore can not show any 25% discount on her NI. All i have is letters of benefits she receives in her name and my name without my dad's name on it. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Mrblank2,

Usually we send a letter to requested marital status evidence. If your mum is able to access her online account and have a look at the letters and emails section, there may be a request there.

Do you know if your mum pays council tax? If so, she may receive a 25% single occupancy/person discount on her council tax bill and we can accept that.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Yes , My mum has checked her email and letters section but there is nothing there. Is there any way to get this as my solicitor requires one for him to sign a letter. My mum does not pay council tax so there is no way to show 25% discount.
Yes , My mum has checked her email and letters section but there is nothing there. Is there any way to get this as my solicitor requires one for him to sign a letter. My mum does not pay council tax so there is no way to show 25% discount.

Hi MrBlank2,

I'd recommend contacting us on Facebook or Twitter, or giving us a call on 0300 100 0607, that way someone can access your account and send a letter requesting this evidence.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 4
Hello , I contacted SFE today on that number and they told me i was not meant to receive any letter or emails asking for marital evidence and that I should just go to my solicitor and ask him for a letter. But my solicitor said people who has come to him previously had some sort of document or letter which then he was able to give a letter himself. thanks
Hello , I contacted SFE today on that number and they told me i was not meant to receive any letter or emails asking for marital evidence and that I should just go to my solicitor and ask him for a letter. But my solicitor said people who has come to him previously had some sort of document or letter which then he was able to give a letter himself. thanks

Hi Mr Blank2,

If you are a continuing student and your mum's marital status has changed or this is the first year of your course and your mum has stated that she is divorced or separated then in order to assess you on your mum's financial information only, we would require evidence of her marital status.

The assessors would request this when processing the household income. Your mum may have been advised of this in advance in order not to delay your application.

Rather than wait for this to be requested your mum can send evidence now.

If she does not receive the 25% discount for single person occupancy on her council tax award notification, there are other items that she can send. A Solicitors letter confirming separation, Affidavit or a Statutory declaration if she has one.

Send a clear copy of the evidence with a cover letter and customer reference number.

If she does not wish to go to a solicitor then she should contact us and we can advise alternative evidence that she can send.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending