The Student Room Group

Muslims doing NCS?

so im a muslim boy 16 yrs old whos gonna do ncs this summer after gcses and i was just wondering how many muslims or just indians and pakistanis in general do ncs. it would be helpful to get an idea, just to know if there'll be others like me or not

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does it really matter? The whole point of ncs is to promote diversity and have a chance to become friends with people from different backgrounds
why do you want to mix with just your race? Isn’t the whole point of today’s society racial/gender harmony
First of all.. what is “ncs”?
Original post by recklessabandon
why do you want to mix with just your race? Isn’t the whole point of today’s society racial/gender harmony

are you white ?

then you dont know what its like to be the only asian in the room. Its natural to worry about fitting in and having no one to talk to.
Reply 5
Original post by Got Milk
First of all.. what is “ncs”?

National citizen service
Original post by hannah00
are you white ?

then you dont know what its like to be the only asian in the room. Its natural to worry about fitting in and having no one to talk to.

yeah I’m white, but if I’m the only white person in the room it doesn’t bother me, things you shouldn’t be self conscious about:
-Race
You can’t control any of these things, if you think because your asian no one will talk to and please stop playing, “white people have it perfect card SMH
Original post by hannah00
are you white ?

This.

And just note that its great an all that NCS promote diversity, but just take notice that many NCS applicants go with friends. Its also human nature to befriend those who have led similar lives to you; people from a certain religion, skin colour and culture will find more common interest then people from different backgrounds. However this doesn't mean they should stick to each others ethnic group as that is wrong
Reply 8
Original post by Samiik
Does it really matter? The whole point of ncs is to promote diversity and have a chance to become friends with people from different backgrounds

fam all i asked was if there were many muslim people on ncs. i dont mind mingling with new ppl at all. in fact im quite looking fwd to this new experience and make new friends
Reply 9

jeez calm down
i literally never said i only want to mix with my race- im looking fwd to meeting new ppl of different races religions etc. all i wanted to know was if there were many muslims who do it
I worked on NCS last year, it will very much depend on what area you are doing it in... North Birmingham last year was chock-a-block with every race and religion you can imagine.
Reply 11
yeah I’m white, but if I’m the only white person in the room it doesn’t bother me, things you shouldn’t be self conscious about:
-Race
You can’t control any of these things, if you think because your asian no one will talk to and please stop playing, “white people have it perfect card SMH

people of minority races arent self conscious smh seriously. its natural to worry slightly about the possibility of there being no one else of ur race/religion/ age etc. and wdum about having no one to talk to- whatever race religion age sexuality whatever u may be, ncs is all about meeting new ppl and making new friends regardless of ur background
Reply 12
Original post by suf1.
so im a muslim boy 16 yrs old whos gonna do ncs this summer after gcses and i was just wondering how many muslims or just indians and pakistanis in general do ncs. it would be helpful to get an idea, just to know if there'll be others like me or not

It would depend massively upon your area and who your LDP (Local delivery partner) would be. I'd guess you'd be able to find national figures on the Internet somewhere, but isn't a true representation of your local picture. If you know anyone who's participated before, asking them may be the best indicator you can get.
Original post by suf1.
people of minority races arent self conscious smh seriously. its natural to worry slightly about the possibility of there being no one else of ur race/religion/ age etc. and wdum about having no one to talk to- whatever race religion age sexuality whatever u may be, ncs is all about meeting new ppl and making new friends regardless of ur background

I’m just saying how his/her mindset is stupid because it doesn’t matter but seriously don’t worry if your the only Muslim there
Original post by suf1.

I did NCS back in 2014 and plenty of Asian people did it from around my area
Original post by suf1.

Are you Pakistani?
Reply 16
Original post by *Alisha*
Are you Pakistani?

indian
yeah I’m white,

ok then stop commenting and judging if youve never been in such a situation.
Ncs is a great experience
(edited 6 years ago)
How diverse is the schools near to where you live? You will be put in groups based on how close you live to each other

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending