The Student Room Group

James Carragher

What do you guys think about his suspension from sky ?

P.S.
My opinion: It is unacceptable for a public person to do something like this, but it is also unacceptable for any person to provoke anybody like that Man U fans did.

Me being an international from Russia, this kind of solution sounds like madness. If Jamie had his punishment, what about the provoker ? That guy is a douche and he deserved it. Next time a public person will be threatened by a person with a gun, and if he injures him as a defence action - will he get a punishment as well ? I dont get you England.
Reply 1
He was dirty on the pitch. He is dirty in real life. Need I say more?
The bloke who got spit at (highly doubt Carragher was aiming for the little girl considering she was telling her dad to stop it) was filming it on his phone, while driving, while goading Carragher 4 times on the motorway. Absolute nutjob.
He is meant to be a professional.
He could see where the girl was and he was likely to hit her.
He should have shut the window and driven off.
Should be checked whether the goader wasnt driving dangerously as well if he was recording on his phone.
Sun and other papers love it though as they have it on loop.
He must have known it was going all over the place with little accuracy as it was a big spray. I was really surprised when I saw the video.
Don't understand why Sky are quick to suspend him yet Kirsty Gallacher keeps her job despite being convicted of drink driving.

A suspension until the end of the season is fair but I hope he comes back in August. He's one of the few pundits I bother listening to, and his chemistry with Gary Neville makes them a great double act.
Reply 5
Original post by sr90
Don't understand why Sky are quick to suspend him yet Kirsty Gallacher keeps her job despite being convicted of drink driving.

A suspension until the end of the season is fair but I hope he comes back in August. He's one of the few pundits I bother listening to, and his chemistry with Gary Neville makes them a great double act.

Probably because no one really cares about Kirsty Gallacher whereas Carragher is a lot more high profile and so Sky have to obviously do something to save face here.
Reply 6
There was something primitive about the way he spat, like an ape in the jungle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To conjure up that much spit in 0.2 seconds is INSANE. What amazing spit glands !

Not right to lose his job, should be some disciplinary action followed by public apology.

Guy who filmed it should receive 3 points on his license for using a phone while driving.
The guy who is driving and using his phone hardly comes out of it highly and I'd say he was the target of Carragher's saliva rather than his daughter who he may not have seen in the passenger seat but it can't be defended. Tbf to him he's been very apologetic and even had a grilling on Sky News more appropriate for a politician and seemed excessive to the 'crime' he's committed.

I'd be very surprised if this ended up with him getting sacked. Part of the Sky interview was damage limitation. He's not on MNF and it's international break for a few weeks but even with that in mind it may be a little while before he's back. Especially if - and it would be ludicrous - if it went down a criminal route if anyone put a complaint in. Odd how Sky suspended Carragher yet Kirsty Gallacher was barely off screen for her drink drive conviction (yes different profiles but to not be internally punished is not a fair process)

Again hope he's back as him and Neville are the best thing on Sky. His employers may be joining in on the outrage by ultimately they want him back on TV sooner rather than later
Totally unacceptable for him to lose control of himself like that, leave the window up and keep driving, has he not faced strong banter/wind-up merchants before? Hope he comes back though as I do like his commentary and it seems a bit severe to totally sack him for it, albeit it isn't out of the realms of possibility. Hope the dad gets prosecuted though, filming and looking at another car, apparently for several minutes since he was goading him, with his kid in the car as well? Dangerous driving.
Original post by sr90

Very good point about Kirsty Gallacher.
Reaction would be worse if he wound the window down and punched him. Despite the saying that spitting is worse than X, in practice for a lot of people they're just repeating catchphrases and don't really think spitting 'counts'. No one got 'hurt', right?

Let's hope whatever personal issue Carragher is going through (divorce, death, mental illness) gets sorted. If he did it just because of the result then obviously **** him. Should be sacked from his job or serve some punishment like a normal person should either way. Actual punishment, not time off. He spit on someone, reasons are irrelevant, because there's no good reason or sane way to react like that. Who here has spat at someone? Or even attacked someone in a car? A punishment and a desire never to attack someone again is the scenario that should be aimed for. A sacking and a conscience seems apt. Or a free punch for the victim (after he's had his fine and points).
Original post by Aky786UK
The guy who is driving and using his phone hardly comes out of it highly and I'd say he was the target of Carragher's saliva rather than his daughter who he may not have seen in the passenger seat but it can't be defended. Tbf to him he's been very apologetic and even had a grilling on Sky News more appropriate for a politician and seemed excessive to the 'crime' he's committed.

I'd be very surprised if this ended up with him getting sacked. Part of the Sky interview was damage limitation. He's not on MNF and it's international break for a few weeks but even with that in mind it may be a little while before he's back. Especially if - and it would be ludicrous - if it went down a criminal route if anyone put a complaint in. Odd how Sky suspended Carragher yet Kirsty Gallacher was barely off screen for her drink drive conviction (yes different profiles but to not be internally punished is not a fair process)

Again hope he's back as him and Neville are the best thing on Sky. His employers may be joining in on the outrage by ultimately they want him back on TV sooner rather than later

It's all just about reputation to the brand and what they feel they need to do to minimise any risk. If there wasn't a video or it hadn't been picked up by the media, it would've been ignored or swept under the carpet. Once it gets out, it's hard for a brand like Sky not to do anything (even if they would rather Carragher was on the air).
I don't think carragher deserves the schtick hes getting. He was obviously bad, but really, sky wants to go that far?

Also he needs to stop apologising about it every second.

Quick Reply

Latest