The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can I do a credit transfer to make it into an undergraduate degree?

I am done with going to brick uni. I did my access course independently and I loved it, then I went to uni which was OK but I left with a DipHE and transferred onto a top up course to get an overall degree. However, my experience has been nothing short of rubbish. I sweat blood and tears on an assignment and I received 40% for it! I submitted it a week early so I was not late, the feedback was blunt and quite frankly as someone who gets A-B grades, I am not accepting it. I am currently in the middle of appealing but now, it has made me realise that going to uni is the biggest mistake I have done. I'd rather have done an Open Uni degree! OK so I am in the middle of my dissertation which is what I've almost completed, but the other work I have not. How does a credit transfer work? I just need to know the process and do I have a chance? Thanks.
Original post by socialscience92
I am done with going to brick uni. I did my access course independently and I loved it, then I went to uni which was OK but I left with a DipHE and transferred onto a top up course to get an overall degree. However, my experience has been nothing short of rubbish. I sweat blood and tears on an assignment and I received 40% for it! I submitted it a week early so I was not late, the feedback was blunt and quite frankly as someone who gets A-B grades, I am not accepting it. I am currently in the middle of appealing but now, it has made me realise that going to uni is the biggest mistake I have done. I'd rather have done an Open Uni degree! OK so I am in the middle of my dissertation which is what I've almost completed, but the other work I have not. How does a credit transfer work? I just need to know the process and do I have a chance? Thanks.

You can transfer up to 240 credits (an OU degree is 360 credits) into the OU, so effectively you will have to redo your final year. If you finish your top-up degree, you won't be able to transfer into the OU or receive a student loan (because you will already have a degree, even if it's not the grade you want). That means you have to withdraw from your top-up degree before you complete it if you want to do an OU degree.

The process is simple, follow these steps: http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/how-to-apply. What subject was your DipHE in and what degree would you like to do at the OU?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
You can transfer up to 240 credits (an OU degree is 360 credits) into the OU, so effectively you will have to redo your final year. If you finish your top-up degree, you won't be able to transfer into the OU or receive a student loan (because you will already have a degree, even if it's not the grade you want). That means you have to withdraw from your top-up degree before you complete it if you want to do an OU degree.

The process is simple, follow these steps: http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/how-to-apply. What subject was your DipHE in and what degree would you like to do at the OU?

Thank you. As I currently receive child grant to pay for my little one's nursery, will I have to pay that back if I leave mid-way or finish the course without honors?
Original post by socialscience92
Thank you. As I currently receive child grant to pay for my little one's nursery, will I have to pay that back if I leave mid-way or finish the course without honors?

I have no idea, I suggest you ask the funding body.

Quick Reply

Latest