The Student Room Group

British weather makes me feel depressed

I can’t be the only one who absolutely hates the rainy climate in the uk and the fact that it never gets really hot and sunny in the summer. I just want to be able to sit outside in the sunshine most days of the year. But the harsh reality is that almost most days when I look outside the sky is gloomy and grey and honestly I feel like I’m missing something, I don’t feel quite complete without some sun, it makes me feel kinda sad and depressed. And I just feel so much happier, productive, and satisfied when I can be outside in the sun. Does anyone else feel like this or am I the only one??

Scroll to see replies

word!
Personally I love the cold and rain, but i'm sure you're not the only one who feels that way
Why didnt you pick a Uni in another country, then? One based on weather? Maybe you get SAD syndrome?
Quite like the variety of weather in the UK.
My mood is drastically better on a sunny day. Warm weather and clear, blue skies just have such a cheery effect.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Why didnt you pick a Uni in another country, then? One based on weather? Maybe you get SAD syndrome?
Quite like the variety of weather in the UK.

I’m not at uni though :frown: still at school and have been living in the uk my whole life. I have thought that I might have SAD but am not sure, I might get an SAD lamp next winter and try it out
British cloudy, rainy and mood swingy weather makes me feel British, and I'm content with this.
Original post by bluemuffin
I’m not at uni though :frown: still at school and have been living in the uk my whole life. I have thought that I might have SAD but am not sure, I might get an SAD lamp next winter and try it out

Well do well on your exams and then go for a uni in the desert or somewhere they have lots of sun. Year abroad might do. TBF most people are focused on exams and not the weather.
Literally the same, I hate it when it’s raining it makes me tired and groggy urgh
Reply 9
Well do well on your exams and then go for a uni in the desert or somewhere they have lots of sun. Year abroad might do. TBF most people are focused on exams and not the weather.

Haha thanks, got GCSEs in a few weeks!! That’s a good idea and I’m gonna have to live in the USA or somewhere hot and sunny when I’m older

SMH why do you twist things in every post you make?
Original post by Got Milk

??
I do love the sun; everything is much more joyful and exciting and the tingling warmth of the rays makes me so happy....

...but weirdly, I find peace in the rain. I sometimes go on walks in the rain (unless the chavs are out washing themselves in the rainwater), I sued to listen to music but nowadays the sound of the rain (that pitter-patter noise), simply the sound of the droplets hitting the hood of my super dry coat just make me feel really calm.
Original post by bluemuffin
??

He's saying 999tigger often posts quite aggresive or passive-aggressive posts.

Not like GotMilk can say anything though, he's TSR's most finest troll :biggrin:
It really gets me down.

I'm not one of those people who thinks things are so much better somewhere else and hates Britain but the weather is genuinely depressing.

Cold, grey, dull.

I just want some sunshine.
Original post by Got Milk

What are you on about. If you want to make a point then make it clearly so people understand what you are going on about.
Original post by mc_miah
He's saying 999tigger often posts quite aggresive or passive-aggressive posts.

Not like GotMilk can say anything though, he's TSR's most finest troll :biggrin:

And what was in my post that didnt offer advice or a fair opinion?

Could they have SAD syndrome?
If they like the sun so much could they get a year abroad in a hotter climate?
Should they do well in their exams?
Are most people oblivious to the weather and focusing on said exams?
(edited 6 years ago)
It's atmospheric prttty much, it's not a great environment for cars or anything that stays outside u protected but it's great for walks and makes them more interestimg. Take joy in what you have got around you.
I don't like going out in the rain, but if I have to stay inside and pump out an essay I don't mind the rain outside. If I'm ever down I usually find being productive in some way or another helps me feel better, but I totally agree with you in that a blue sky really helps brighten the mood.

Though to be honest a few other places must hate having the sun beat down on them all the time, so it's all relative I guess.
Original post by Spudgem2061
I don't like going out in the rain, but if I have to stay inside and pump out an essay I don't mind the rain outside. If I'm ever down I usually find being productive in some way or another helps me feel better, but I totally agree with you in that a blue sky really helps brighten the mood.

Though to be honest a few other places must hate having the sun beat down on them all the time, so it's all relative I guess.

Honestly I don't think I would mind if it was constantly sunny it sounds like my dream tbh but I guess others may disagree

Latest