The Student Room Group

Life Problems England

I'm 18. I failed all of my GCSEs, the grades are all below C/4, I have 1 D, E, F and the rest are Us. I did complete functional skills at entry level 3 English, maths and entry level 3 animal care. I am doing level 1 functional skills English and maths now.

I found a few courses I would like to do, it's pre access for 1 year to get GCSEs English and maths at grade C/4 or 5, access course in animal management for 1 year, a degree for 2 years then maybe an extra year after the 2 year, but the extra year is a choice. I will be 19 in November so by the time I started pre access I'll still be 18 so age isn't bothering me it's bothering me that I currently have no decent qualifications right now.*

I failed GCSEs due to severe anxiety, depression, I rarely went to school due to these problems and anaemia, I was also having trouble with some people and getting bullied during GCSEs so everything was against me at the time, I also wasn't well in college so couldn't progress on to level 1 animal care after entry level 3 but now my mental health is no where near as bad which is why I went back to college but a different one and I'm doing level 1 functional skills. In year 9 despite my attendance being low I was getting D's and E's which were really good considering I wasn't in a lot, I could've got Cs if I was okay but I wasn't.*

Anyway I just need advice on the situation and the fact that the degrees want you to have Cs in science, I have an E, do I try and retake the science as well as English and maths and speak to the college about it?

The degrees are Foundation Science Degree - Zoological Management*
BSc Hons Zoological Management and Conservation
my first piece of advice would be to consider life outside of education.

A staggering number of my friends from secondary school who struggled a lot during school, ended up so much happier when they were just out their, working, building a life, and functioning in that manner, rather then trying to conform to the narrow ideals that schools/universities have.

If you were my son/daughter, I would advise that you take a year or two away from education, get a full-time job, earn some money, grow your confidence and Independence, build a base of ability, discipline and control that you can draw upon as you move forward. If in a year or two you still want to go to university, re-take the qualifications you failed by studying part time alongside your job, and then apply to university.

Education is not the only way forward, and for many people it actually just leads them to feel awful.
Reply 2
Original post by fallen_acorns
my first piece of advice would be to consider life outside of education.

A staggering number of my friends from secondary school who struggled a lot during school, ended up so much happier when they were just out their, working, building a life, and functioning in that manner, rather then trying to conform to the narrow ideals that schools/universities have.

If you were my son/daughter, I would advise that you take a year or two away from education, get a full-time job, earn some money, grow your confidence and Independence, build a base of ability, discipline and control that you can draw upon as you move forward. If in a year or two you still want to go to university, re-take the qualifications you failed by studying part time alongside your job, and then apply to university.

Education is not the only way forward, and for many people it actually just leads them to feel awful.

Pretty sure having no qualifications leads people to feeling awful when all they can get is crappy minimum wage jobs.
Original post by Anonymous
Pretty sure having no qualifications leads people to feeling awful when all they can get is crappy minimum wage jobs.

Believe it or not there's career progression in most jobs so yes you'll start at minimum wage but if you put in the effort and hours it's cimb up and with that your position. I'd go with what the previous poster said, you should just get working, try getting an apprenticeship with a zoo that might score 2 birds with 1 stone.
Reply 4
Original post by Nil Admirari
Believe it or not there's career progression in most jobs so yes you'll start at minimum wage but if you put in the effort and hours it's cimb up and with that your position. I'd go with what the previous poster said, you should just get working, try getting an apprenticeship with a zoo that might score 2 birds with 1 stone.

You're giving very dangerous advice, most zoos do not do apprenticeships, I do not want a sh*t minimum wage job I hate, most minimum wage jobs don't allow progression, it' difficult to climb up and I don't have time. Stop spreading such stupid information.
Reply 5

"Just get working" life doesn't work like that hun. Very bad advice. You should never tell someone without any qualifications to do that. I hope you don't have kids because they are at serious risk of having a bad future.
Original post by Anonymous
"Just get working" life doesn't work like that hun. Very bad advice. You should never tell someone without any qualifications to do that. I hope you don't have kids because they are at serious risk of having a bad future.

If you already know what you're going to hear then why ask for people's contributions? And to be so rude is not necessary or appropriate ok. Most zoo's don't true but some do and the point of that was to encourage you to get an apprenticeship.
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/animal

You seem to think people run into money quickly, guess again hun it doesn't work that way. If you think that you won't need to put in the hours to get good money then you're frankly wrong. You failed your GCSE's and your 1st run at college, i suggest you start grafting which is what plenty of people do and they have already seen some progression because they have the ethic and put in the hours. I think primarilly though you need to work out your attitude because i wouldn't want to know you and thankfully i don't. Good luck.
Reply 7
If you already know what you're going to hear then why ask for people's contributions? And to be so rude is not necessary or appropriate ok. Most zoo's don't true but some do and the point of that was to encourage you to get an apprenticeship.
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/animal

You seem to think people run into money quickly, guess again hun it doesn't work that way. If you think that you won't need to put in the hours to get good money then you're frankly wrong. You failed your GCSE's and your 1st run at college, i suggest you start grafting which is what plenty of people do and they have already seen some progression because they have the ethic and put in the hours. I think primarilly though you need to work out your attitude because i wouldn't want to know you and thankfully i don't. Good luck.

Glad I don't know you either haha. My attitude is fine if you don't give out stupid advice. I didn't fail college either, I got qualifications but apparently no one can read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending