The Student Room Group

UK life

I'm 18. I failed all of my GCSEs, the grades are all below C/4, I have 1 D, E, F and the rest are Us. I did complete functional skills at entry level 3 English, maths and entry level 3 animal care. I am doing level 1 functional skills English and maths now.

I found a few courses I would like to do, it's pre access for 1 year to get GCSEs English and maths at grade C/4 or 5, access course in animal management for 1 year, a degree for 2 years then maybe an extra year after the 2 year, but the extra year is a choice. I will be 19 in November so by the time I started pre access I'll still be 18 so age isn't bothering me it's bothering me that I currently have no decent qualifications right now.*

I failed GCSEs due to severe anxiety, depression, I rarely went to school due to these problems and anaemia, I was also having trouble with some people and getting bullied during GCSEs so everything was against me at the time, I also wasn't well in college so couldn't progress on to level 1 animal care after entry level 3 but now my mental health is no where near as bad which is why I went back to college but a different one and I'm doing level 1 functional skills. In year 9 despite my attendance being low I was getting D's and E's which were really good considering I wasn't in a lot, I could've got Cs if I was okay but I wasn't.*

Anyway I just need advice on the situation and the fact that the degrees want you to have Cs in science, I have an E, do I try and retake the science as well as English and maths and speak to the college about it?

The degrees are Foundation Science Degree - Zoological Management*
BSc Hons Zoological Management and Conservation

Scroll to see replies

make sure you speak to the foundation course you want to do, and be prepared to not be able to apply anywhere else.. Make sure your commited to the course and know all the criteria for "guaranteed progression".
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
make sure you speak to the foundation course you want to do, and be prepared to not be able to apply anywhere else.. Make sure your commited to the course and know all the criteria for "guaranteed progression".

Why
Reply 3

Why the hell should I be prepared to not be able to apply anywhere else? Explain now.
Original post by Anonymous
Why the hell should I be prepared to not be able to apply anywhere else? Explain now.

You sound so demanding.
Is the entry requirements universal across all the universities, or just one?
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
You sound so demanding.
Is the entry requirements universal across all the universities, or just one?

I'm getting sick of being told to give up and work minimum wage jobs. Just makes me want to kill myself. Everyone is basically saying I don't have a future so what's the point?

What entry requirements?
I'm getting sick of being told to give up and work minimum wage jobs. Just makes me want to kill myself. Everyone is basically saying I don't have a future so what's the point?

What entry requirements?

You decide if you have a future, not someone else. You choose how your future will go-if you want to change it do something(which you clearly are trying to do). Ignore what everyone is saying

Well requirements to do the course, unless you can do them with no grades or anything?
Reply 7
Original post by AzureCeleste
You decide if you have a future, not someone else. You choose how your future will go-if you want to change it do something(which you clearly are trying to do). Ignore what everyone is saying

Well requirements to do the course, unless you can do them with no grades or anything?

The pre access you don't need qualifications to get in, access you need GCSEs at C/5 in English and maths, the degrees you need Cs in English, maths and science
Hello again, i don't seem to get why you think a minimum wage job equals into having no future. Also, why aren't you looking at apprencticeships? I sent you the link on the other thread, use it and see what you can get.
Reply 9
Original post by Nil Admirari
Hello again, i don't seem to get why you think a minimum wage job equals into having no future. Also, why aren't you looking at apprencticeships? I sent you the link on the other thread, use it and see what you can get.

It doesn't mean no future it just means a future of struggling, minimum wage means I will never buy my own place, not likely to ever travel, have a pet, afford nice things of afford a car and worry about paying for things, it's not a future really.
You’re expecting life to suit you and go at a million miles per hour. In this day and age you need to chill, affording houses, holidays etc doesn’t come easily or naturally to anyone - no matter what you think you see on social media!
You are still young (regardless of what you think) and realistically, yeah it’ll be a bit harder for you to progress quickly through academia with your given grades BUT perseverance and endurance could mean that you achieve your goal of university/access courses.

You’ll need to dedicate a day or two to thoroughly (and I mean throughly) researching your possible avenues of opportunity to where you want to go - yes it’s hard work but everyone on here cannot provide you with answers to everything, only you know what you want out of education and life.

What entry requirements?

well for one i did foundation at a private course that cost 20,000 a year and could apply to basically any university in the UK.

But if you do a specific universities your options may be limited because of 1) the exact specifications 2) the universities prestige

ie if you do foundation at Wolverhampton, you can likely service alot of decent universities that are in that range.

If you did foundation at my University (the Nottingham) you could potentially aim a bit higher. ie other Russell groups.

So where you do your foundation and the prospects if they accept you are important.

Further, because of your lack of GCSE a guaranteed progression foundation would likely be your best bet.

This means if you pass your foundation with a certain mark, you get the place!

I didnt do that, which is risky and believe me never have i ever been more stressed then that month before exams trying to somehow squeak AAB!
well for one i did foundation at a private course that cost 20,000 a year and could apply to basically any university in the UK.

But if you do a specific universities your options may be limited because of 1) the exact specifications 2) the universities prestige

ie if you do foundation at Wolverhampton, you can likely service alot of decent universities that are in that range.

If you did foundation at my University (the Nottingham) you could potentially aim a bit higher. ie other Russell groups.

So where you do your foundation and the prospects if they accept you are important.

Further, because of your lack of GCSE a guaranteed progression foundation would likely be your best bet.

This means if you pass your foundation with a certain mark, you get the place!

I didnt do that, which is risky and believe me never have i ever been more stressed then that month before exams trying to somehow squeak AAB!

What shall I do then? Give up everything and accept that I don't have a future or a decent one anyway, seems to me I need to give up and forget working with animals and just go on to benefits as I have 0 decent qualifications and will never get a decent job
Original post by Lily048
You’re expecting life to suit you and go at a million miles per hour. In this day and age you need to chill, affording houses, holidays etc doesn’t come easily or naturally to anyone - no matter what you think you see on social media!
You are still young (regardless of what you think) and realistically, yeah it’ll be a bit harder for you to progress quickly through academia with your given grades BUT perseverance and endurance could mean that you achieve your goal of university/access courses.

You’ll need to dedicate a day or two to thoroughly (and I mean throughly) researching your possible avenues of opportunity to where you want to go - yes it’s hard work but everyone on here cannot provide you with answers to everything, only you know what you want out of education and life.

Think giving up would be the best option for me, see if I can get benefits as without qualifications I'll never get a decent job and I can't see myself getting any decent qualifications anytime soon
Think giving up would be the best option for me, see if I can get benefits as without qualifications I'll never get a decent job and I can't see myself getting any decent qualifications anytime soon

It’s your defeatist attitude that’s letting you down. Negativity serves no purpose. Everyone has given you lots of options and you always ask the same questions on here but you are unwilling to take anyone’s advice. It baffles me. You don’t want to put in the work and that’s where you are falling down. Like I said, a day or two thoroughly researching will serve you well - it’s that simple. But if you’re unwilling to put in the hard work then why do you think University will be for you, when the work is x100 harder and Does require consistent effort and positivity? If you are serious about your future you need to change your perspective on the little things that could potentially help you.
Original post by Lily048
It’s your defeatist attitude that’s letting you down. Negativity serves no purpose. Everyone has given you lots of options and you always ask the same questions on here but you are unwilling to take anyone’s advice. It baffles me. You don’t want to put in the work and that’s where you are falling down. Like I said, a day or two thoroughly researching will serve you well - it’s that simple. But if you’re unwilling to put in the hard work then why do you think University will be for you, when the work is x100 harder and Does require consistent effort and positivity? If you are serious about your future you need to change your perspective on the little things that could potentially help you.

It's not as easy as that though, especially when you have a sibling who has never faced problems like severe mental health issues and just has a natural ability to get good grades, good job, good degree, someone who will never face the problems I face and I'm at risk of getting low paid jobs or no job at all
It's not as easy as that though, especially when you have a sibling who has never faced problems like severe mental health issues and just has a natural ability to get good grades, good job, good degree, someone who will never face the problems I face and I'm at risk of getting low paid jobs or no job at all

I know first hand that’s it not easy because I have been the sibling with bad grades, poor mental health (severe anxiety), compared to my older sister who’s just received a first class masters in biochemistry and has had consistent jobs throughout her life.
Yet here I am at university in my final year with a part time job as well as volunteering. You cannot be held back by constant excuses that because you have it harder than everyone else you have reason to fail. People fail all the time yet they pick themselves up and carry on, that’s how life works. I have had a horrible year but I still kept up with uni work and applied to jobs all over the place. Like I said, takes a bit of time and perseverance. It’s not easy no - but you’ve got to stop expecting everything in life to come easily. No a house won’t be affordable to you in a year, no you won’t be on a £30K salary in a few months time, but it’s doesn’t mean you can’t get there eventually. You’re only 18, I’m 21 and officially an adult now - I’m yet to have a full time job paying more that £21k a year yet.
Original post by Lily048
I know first hand that’s it not easy because I have been the sibling with bad grades, poor mental health (severe anxiety), compared to my older sister who’s just received a first class masters in biochemistry and has had consistent jobs throughout her life.
Yet here I am at university in my final year with a part time job as well as volunteering. You cannot be held back by constant excuses that because you have it harder than everyone else you have reason to fail. People fail all the time yet they pick themselves up and carry on, that’s how life works. I have had a horrible year but I still kept up with uni work and applied to jobs all over the place. Like I said, takes a bit of time and perseverance. It’s not easy no - but you’ve got to stop expecting everything in life to come easily. No a house won’t be affordable to you in a year, no you won’t be on a £30K salary in a few months time, but it’s doesn’t mean you can’t get there eventually. You’re only 18, I’m 21 and officially an adult now - I’m yet to have a full time job paying more that £21k a year yet.

But without GCSEs, A levels or a degree what exactly can you do
But without GCSEs, A levels or a degree what exactly can you do

Part time/full time job? Apprenticeship or internships? (It’s always worth emailing and asking who they accept, it shows determination and perseverance!) resisting main GCSEs at a local community college?
Original post by Lily048
Part time/full time job? Apprenticeship or internships? (It’s always worth emailing and asking who they accept, it shows determination and perseverance!) resisting main GCSEs at a local community college?

But I might fail? Statistics show most people who resit don't pass and that without GCSEs you will end up on the dole. Everything is stacked against me. The new GCSEs are also harder so what can I Do? I don't think there is anything unless I give up completely. The entry level 3 qualifications from a FE college are apparently worthless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending