The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE

My school has entered me for a futher maths GCSE but... I have no teacher for it. I have been given the revision guide for it but nothing else. Any advice?
Reply 1
bump
Lol what, if you are going to do it you will need a teacher as there is a lot of new stuff and it is super hard.
... unless you are really smart and you dont need a teacher.
Read through the guide and see what you think of it, it is actually really easy to get a pass in it so just revise a bit.
Reply 3
Original post by idkthename
Lol what, if you are going to do it you will need a teacher as there is a lot of new stuff and it is super hard.
... unless you are really smart and you dont need a teacher.
Read through the guide and see what you think of it, it is actually really easy to get a pass in it so just revise a bit.

I teach myself in geography (I just ignore the teacher in lessons and go through the textbook myself because the class takes too long because they don't focus). But I wouldn't say that I am really smart (it's looking like I'll get an 8 in maths, my teacher thinks I could get a 9 but it is likely I'll get an 8). I want at least an A in the further maths though.
Reply 4
Further Maths GCSE really isn't that hard, especially if you can get an 8 in maths - loads of people in my school got 7s in Maths, and still managed to get A/Bs in FM GCSE. Just go through the book they've given you, and find some youtube videos online that take you through anything you find more confusing. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Baza2002
My school has entered me for a futher maths GCSE but... I have no teacher for it. I have been given the revision guide for it but nothing else. Any advice?

Can you not go through the revision guide, and then go to your normal GCSE Maths teacher to work through the topics you don't understand? May be tricky if their degree isn't maths, I know a lot often have Business / Economics / Engineering degrees.

If you've been entered for it then the Head of Maths must have approved your entry and so should be willing to support you, or should at least be able to point you in the direction of somebody who can. If you have an attached sixth form, can you ask for help from whoever teaches A-Level? If they can teach AS/A2 then they should be able to teach GCSE Further.

Depending on your financial situation, could tutoring be an option? You can find tutors online with relative ease.

Failing all of this, get on the exam board website and print out the specification. This will contain a bullet pointed list of everything you need to know. Use it as a working document, tick each bullet point when you understand it then highlight it when you've revised it a month or so later to keep things fresh.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, I'm more inclined towards the arts so any subject specific advice would be useless!
Reply 6
Original post by bjt1882
Further Maths GCSE really isn't that hard, especially if you can get an 8 in maths - loads of people in my school got 7s in Maths, and still managed to get A/Bs in FM GCSE. Just go through the book they've given you, and find some youtube videos online that take you through anything you find more confusing. Good luck!

Ok. Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by HT2412
Can you not go through the revision guide, and then go to your normal GCSE Maths teacher to work through the topics you don't understand? May be tricky if their degree isn't maths, I know a lot often have Business / Economics / Engineering degrees.

If you've been entered for it then the Head of Maths must have approved your entry and so should be willing to support you, or should at least be able to point you in the direction of somebody who can. If you have an attached sixth form, can you ask for help from whoever teaches A-Level? If they can teach AS/A2 then they should be able to teach GCSE Further.

Depending on your financial situation, could tutoring be an option? You can find tutors online with relative ease.

Failing all of this, get on the exam board website and print out the specification. This will contain a bullet pointed list of everything you need to know. Use it as a working document, tick each bullet point when you understand it then highlight it when you've revised it a month or so later to keep things fresh.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, I'm more inclined towards the arts so any subject specific advice would be useless!

My maths teacher is the head of maths... and sometimes struggles with the 'grade 9' GCSE questions.
Reply 8

Is that AQA Level 2 Further maths?

Assuming it is, you need to get a proper textbook, not just a revision guide. I recommend this one. It's going to be tough task to learn everything without a teacher so you're going to need to put in a lot of effort and try as many questions as you can.

Then make sure you revise by trying all of the past/practice papers which can be found here.

How do you find normal GCSE? Are you on target for a 9? It's much more important to get a 9 in normal maths than getting a good grade in further maths. So please don't let further maths distract you if you need more work in maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek

Assuming it is, you need to get a proper textbook, not just a revision guide. I recommend this one. It's going to be tough task to learn everything without a teacher so you're going to need to put in a lot of effort and try as many questions as you can.

Then make sure you revise by trying all of the past/practice papers which can be found here.

How do you find normal GCSE? Are you on target for a 9? It's much more important to get a 9 in normal maths than getting a good grade in further maths. So please don't let further maths distract you if you need more work in maths.

In my last two mocks (October then January) I got grade 8s (with only 10 minutes revision the night before each paper). I'm aiming for my 9 and my teacher thinks that I'll get an 8 but could get a 9.
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek

yeah, it's AQA Level 2 Further Maths
Reply 11
In my last two mocks (October then January) I got grade 8s (with only 10 minutes revision the night before each paper). I'm aiming for my 9 and my teacher thinks that I'll get an 8 but could get a 9.

Okay, please don't let further maths distract you from revising maths. If you feel doing further maths is too much extra work that may get in the way of maths then talk to your teacher.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
Okay, please don't let further maths distract you from revising maths. If you feel doing further maths is too much extra work that may get in the way of maths then talk to your teacher.

I asked my teacher if I could do further maths. I'll probably do 20 mins a week on further maths and then do a full week of it before my exams for it (my last exam is a week before).
Reply 13
I asked my teacher if I could do further maths. I'll probably do 20 mins a week on further maths and then do a full week of it before my exams for it (my last exam is a week before).

Good luck :smile: If you ever need help and your teacher can't/is not around then please ask in the Maths forum.
yeah, it's AQA Level 2 Further Maths

Oh! Same here. Honestly, if you're really confident with maths like me, then it's really easy. I've been teaching myself since our first lesson, and covered 90% of the spec already, with shich I'm extremely confident. To put into perspective how easy it can be, my second lesson is actually tomorrow...

Quick Reply