The Student Room Group

Tips to "get on top" of my class and achieve?Please?

Hi guys.
I'm currently in year 10, so I have yet to do my GCSEs. And I'm taking the triple science course, but everyone who surrounds me demonstrates academic strength.
Guys, I could use some creative ideas to boost my performance and "become the superior" in my class.
Thoughts?
See it as a competition, that's what made me really want to do better. The fact that I knew I could be the best in the class. Not only does it mean you will have another reason to be motivated, but competitiveness is good to own.
Reply 2
Original post by GeorgeBear
See it as a competition, that's what made me really want to do better. The fact that I knew I could be the best in the class. Not only does it mean you will have another reason to be motivated, but competitiveness is good to own.

That's a good viewpoint, thanks.
Original post by LoneWolf225
That's a good viewpoint, thanks.

Trust me once I say this, once everyone starts looking at you and you know you are at the top, the amount of motivation for that subject is incredible.
Original post by LoneWolf225
Hi guys.
I'm currently in year 10, so I have yet to do my GCSEs. And I'm taking the triple science course, but everyone who surrounds me demonstrates academic strength.
Guys, I could use some creative ideas to boost my performance and "become the superior" in my class.
Thoughts?

Read, read, read...
Initial intelligence is irrelevant, two years from now you will see who is strong enough to compete, many will crumble under their own arrogance and others who lack the determination will fail to stand out.
Reply 5
Original post by TastyChicken
Read, read, read...
Initial intelligence is irrelevant, two years from now you will see who is strong enough to compete, many will crumble under their own arrogance and others who lack the determination will fail to stand out.

Appreciate your inspiration. Thanks.
Reply 6
Figure out how you study best! I copy out notes, yes, but I also liked to illustrate them with small cartoons and do exercises with them like see how much I can summarise them until I have them down to a few words that act more as memory prompts. Usually when I was studying for exams I would learn a set of notes one day, then the next day before I started learning the next set I'd try and briefly bullet point what I had learnt the day before to make sure I knew it. Usually after finishing a topic I would try make a mind map summarising it all- looking back on my notes as little as possible- and liked to consolidate everything by finding practice tests/essays/etc to do. Also for history I remember I had a bunch of facts I needed to learn as examples for essays so I wrote them out (in groups of related facts obviously) to nursery rhyme tunes and then learnt the songs. I literally walked around my entire house, stopping in every room to sing WW1 statistics to the tune of the grand old duke of york. BUT it worked, got in that exam, had to write about WW1, sang the song in my head and got the facts.
AND if you're not already, lisening and focusing as much as possible in class is seriously underrated but really helps. I have been in a few exam situations where I haven't studied something really, but can think back and remember my teacher saying something about it. It makes studying a lot easier if you have got the information once from class- because then you're not really teaching yourself it, you're just consolidating it.
I also stick up so many post-its around my room! Maths formulae, physics trivia you just have to know to do things, english quotes, history facts, etc. I'd be sitting on my toilet with trig equations opposite me.
I'm much more into the arts & humanities side of things, but those are my general study tips and when I studied maths and physics I applied those and it paid off. Hope it helps?
Reply 7
Original post by marbbb
Figure out how you study best! I copy out notes, yes, but I also liked to illustrate them with small cartoons and do exercises with them like see how much I can summarise them until I have them down to a few words that act more as memory prompts. Usually when I was studying for exams I would learn a set of notes one day, then the next day before I started learning the next set I'd try and briefly bullet point what I had learnt the day before to make sure I knew it. Usually after finishing a topic I would try make a mind map summarising it all- looking back on my notes as little as possible- and liked to consolidate everything by finding practice tests/essays/etc to do. Also for history I remember I had a bunch of facts I needed to learn as examples for essays so I wrote them out (in groups of related facts obviously) to nursery rhyme tunes and then learnt the songs. I literally walked around my entire house, stopping in every room to sing WW1 statistics to the tune of the grand old duke of york. BUT it worked, got in that exam, had to write about WW1, sang the song in my head and got the facts.
AND if you're not already, lisening and focusing as much as possible in class is seriously underrated but really helps. I have been in a few exam situations where I haven't studied something really, but can think back and remember my teacher saying something about it. It makes studying a lot easier if you have got the information once from class- because then you're not really teaching yourself it, you're just consolidating it.
I also stick up so many post-its around my room! Maths formulae, physics trivia you just have to know to do things, english quotes, history facts, etc. I'd be sitting on my toilet with trig equations opposite me.
I'm much more into the arts & humanities side of things, but those are my general study tips and when I studied maths and physics I applied those and it paid off. Hope it helps?

This is saucy, I love it!

Quick Reply

Latest