The Student Room Group

Can your hair be political?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
You can often get an idea of someone's politics from their hair.

I can think of lots of examples.

So true.

Before and afters. Guess the politics at play here.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AvrgLondoner
So, I've just read a Cambridge and Harvard graduates ideas on the 'Politics of Black Hair'. The scholarly article mainly talked about Michelle Obama and the introduction of her natural hair to society which only occurred after she was out of the public eye.

Do you think your hair could be a political statement?

I do.

In fact, I think the nature of hair (black, white and asian) can be very political.
What do you think?

I mean look lets be frank here don't you think this is a bit silly. I mean most people just go for a certain hairstyle cause they think it'll complement their looks, not to make a political statement.
Original post by CookieButter
So true.

lol that was the first one I thought of but there are loads more.
Original post by cat_mac
I do not support this hairstyle. It’s a ‘neigh’ from me.

My only concern is how he keeps it stable.
So true.

These aren't political statements.

This is pathological behaviour showing they're in need of sectioning at a psych ward. You know it's a shame that people automatically think someone has a political belief or social value based on how they choose to look. This is why politics and activism has been hacked by actor-vists who think if they "look the part" ie girls wearing short hair or coloured hair or piercings it means they can now pretend to be feminists ready to be taken seriously and it works. Wearing a fancy dress uniform shouldn't work. If I wear camos am I a soldier? Or, isn't it illegal impersonating a policeman? So why if I shave my head I'm a racist neo-Nazi skinhead, or a girl with short hair is a left nut lesbian (lmao) or a guy with a fringe is a closeted gay Tory? :noway:

*AND this is when people mistakenly trust someone, because they didn't "seem" or "appear" to be who they REALLY are. I know loads of neo-Nazis and anti-immigrants who don't shave their heads and loads of people with shaved heads who are liberal and peace loving. I know loads of black dudes with dreads who aren't pro black and date white women. I know loads of black dudes with suits and slick hair and love being black. I know women with short or coloured hair who aren't in the least bit lesbian or for lesbianism, and I know long-haired women who are. I know loads of people who wear black and dye their hair black and aren't gothic and dark minded black hearted people who don't wear dark things, you know? :rolleyes: Point is, maybe. Just maybe. They like the hairstyle, and that a woman with a wild haircut shouldn't be taken seriously lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Interesting stuff 🧐
Original post by Bang Outta Order
These aren't political statements.

This is pathological behaviour showing they're in need of sectioning at a psych ward. You know it's a shame that people automatically think someone has a political belief or social value based on how they choose to look. This is why politics and activism has been hacked by actor-vists who think if they "look the part" ie girls wearing short hair or coloured hair or piercings it means they can now pretend to be feminists ready to be taken seriously and it works. Wearing a fancy dress uniform shouldn't work. If I wear camos am I a soldier? Or, isn't it illegal impersonating a policeman? So why if I shave my head I'm a racist neo-Nazi skinhead, or a girl with short hair is a left nut lesbian (lmao) or a guy with a fringe is a closeted gay Tory? :noway:

lol

*AND this is when people mistakenly trust someone, because they didn't "seem" or "appear" to be who they REALLY are. I know loads of neo-Nazis and anti-immigrants who don't shave their heads and loads of people with shaved heads who are liberal and peace loving. I know loads of black dudes with dreads who aren't pro black and date white women. I know loads of black dudes with suits and slick hair and love being black. I know women with short or coloured hair who aren't in the least bit lesbian or for lesbianism, and I know long-haired women who are. I know loads of people who wear black and dye their hair black and aren't gothic and dark minded black hearted people who don't wear dark things, you know? :rolleyes: Point is, maybe. Just maybe. They like the hairstyle, and that a woman with a wild haircut shouldn't be taken seriously lol

I appreciate what you are saying my friend. Our appearance doesn't necessarily tell people what we believe in....but its still an important indicator of many things.......I joined the feminist society at my university this year. On the induction day, the head of the society walks in, looks around at all the female attendees....and says "all of you are going to have your hair dyed come end of this year"..... Feminists encourage each other to change their appearance to make themselves stand out and appear as androgynous as possible. The appearance of followers of a movement tell you a lot about what they stand for. Their appearance isn't everything but its important. Its important to take appearance into account when dealing with people. Those pictures are of actual women before and after joining the feminist movement.
(edited 6 years ago)
the politicization of black hair is just a natural progression..

Weak/small minority conforms to the values of the Majority
minority grows in confidence and number, starts to rebel against values of the majority, and assert its own values

then there are 2 paths:

a, a respectful plurality is formed where the values of all minorities are heard
b, as a plurality is nearing, conflict occurs and re-establishes one side as the dominant force.

History tells us B is more likely, obviously A would be nice.
Original post by AvrgLondoner
So, I've just read a Cambridge and Harvard graduates ideas on the 'Politics of Black Hair'. The scholarly article mainly talked about Michelle Obama and the introduction of her natural hair to society which only occurred after she was out of the public eye.

Do you think your hair could be a political statement?

I do.

In fact, I think the nature of hair (black, white and asian) can be very political.
What do you think?

I've been applying for office jobs and administrator type roles and I've had to had my hair cut appear more "corporate". I wouldn't mind if I was allowed to have my hair the way I want without any discrimination towards me.
lol

I appreciate what you are saying my friend. Our appearance doesn't necessarily tell people what we believe in....but its still an important indicator of many things.......I joined the feminist society at my university this year. On the induction day, the head of the society walks in, looks around at all the female attendees....and says "all you of you are going to have your hair dyed come end of this year"..... Feminists encourage each other to change their appearance to make themselves stand out and appear as androgynous as possible. The appearance of followers of a movement tell you a lot about what they stand for. Their appearance isn't everything but its important. Its important to take appearance into account when dealing with people. ***Those pictures are of actual women before and after joining the feminist movement.***

Frightening, is my point, and a subconscious cry for help. Is it a cult or what. And yea, there's a uniform to many political groups, and that's the problem. If you dress up for the part it doesn't mean you should be taken seriously as a spokesperson for that group. That's how you get subverts and infiltrators. An example is, claiming to be in a gang that wears certain colours. I know people who have literally been killed or at least hospitalised for falsely claiming to be apart of a group. And I know undercover gang members, who put on a facade of being a normal member of society but are running the ship right under your nose.

Idk maybe you don't get what I'm saying or maybe I'm not making it clear but I think if you wanna stand out it as an activist who really cares and doesnt just wanna look "cool" then it should be through actions and speaking up and making statements with your actions and words, not with clothes and hair. Rachel Dolezal wore the uniform by pretending to be black and was proven to be a nutcase and who knows what else.

And wait, you joined the feminist soc? :rofl:
What the actual hell? Is this title for real?
Frightening, is my point, and a subconscious cry for help. Is it a cult or what. And yea, there's a uniform to many political groups, and that's the problem. If you dress up for the part it doesn't mean you should be taken seriously as a spokesperson for that group. That's how you get subverts and infiltrators. An example is, claiming to be in a gang that wears certain colours. I know people who have literally been killed or at least hospitalised for falsely claiming to be apart of a group. And I know undercover gang members, who put on a facade of being a normal member of society but are running the ship right under your nose.

I agree with you. You should not entirely rely in your judgement of people on their physical appearance...

..but some ideologies teach their followers to dress and make up in a certain way. Feminism encourages its followers to dress in such a way as to diminish their gender attributes so as to appear androgynous, less female/less male. So Im not saying lets judge people by their appearance. I'm just saying feminism encourages its followers to dress the way of those pictures.

Idk maybe you don't get what I'm saying or maybe I'm not making it clear but I think if you wanna stand out it as an activist who really cares and doesnt just wanna look "cool" then it should be through actions and speaking up and making statements with your actions and words, not with clothes and hair. Rachel Dolezal wore the uniform by pretending to be black and was proven to be a nutcase and who knows what else.

I agree. My main argument in this thread is that people should not use their genetic attributes as statements in politics. I think that this form of activism is racist/sexist.

And wait, you joined the feminist soc? :rofl:

lol...yeah. I did a weeks worth of work experience in a psych ward before going to uni....my experience in the fem society's been very similar so far. I was hoping to start a blog about it but I've not had the time. Still Its been insane. They don't know I'm anti-feminist.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending