The Student Room Group

how to improve in GCSE

I take Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish, English, Maths, Geography, Business and Drama if anyone needs help!

Scroll to see replies

The three sciences, i can only get around half marks in the papers and my targets are 8s
Reply 2
Original post by idkthename
The three sciences, i can only get around half marks in the papers and my targets are 8s

For me, printing out the exam specifications was a big help. Work your way through them. They can't ask you something that isn't on the spec, so if you know that spec then you will do well.

Start by RAG rating everything:
R (Red) - if you got an exam question on it, you'd be skipping it and moving onto the next question.

A (Amber) - needs revision. Could pick up a couple of marks, but not 100% secure in your knowledge of that particular area.

G (Green) - could write a full mark exam answer here and now.

Then you can target your revision to what you need to know. Revising things you know is one of the best feelings, but also a big waste of time!!!

My top tips for science:
-buy a CGP revision guide
-past paper questions
-learn you calculations/formulas for easy marks
-definitions on flashcards
-review class notes little and often
Honestly, you’ll be fine as long as you revise as you go. Good luck and keep me updated!
ScienceWithHazel anc UnJaded Jade for Science/ general revision!
Original post by Millieclatworthy
My top tips for science:
-buy a CGP revision guide
-past paper questions
-learn you calculations/formulas for easy marks
-review class notes little and often
Honestly, you’ll be fine as long as you revise as you go. Good luck and keep me updated!

Honestly my method was going to be do past papers, find out what i got wrong, revise these topics through youtube, and then repeat.
Is that okay because i am too lazy to do anything else
Original post by HT2412
For me, printing out the exam specifications was a big help. Work your way through them. They can't ask you something that isn't on the spec, so if you know that spec then you will do well.

Start by RAG rating everything:
R (Red) - if you got an exam question on it, you'd be skipping it and moving onto the next question.

A (Amber) - needs revision. Could pick up a couple of marks, but not 100% secure in your knowledge of that particular area.

G (Green) - could write a full mark exam answer here and now.

Then you can target your revision to what you need to know. Revising things you know is one of the best feelings, but also a big waste of time!!!

Might do this, but what if i think something is green but the exam question is totally out of order
Geography revision tips?
Honestly my method was going to be do past papers, find out what i got wrong, revise these topics through youtube, and then repeat.
Is that okay because i am too lazy to do anything else

Laziness does not get you 8s!
Make sure you aren’t doing past papers for the sake of it. Content then application. Watch youtube to understand then test yourself, do timed questions.
Textbook questions are goood for switching it up too!
Laziness does not get you 8s!
Make sure you aren’t doing past papers for the sake of it. Content then application. Watch youtube to understand then test yourself, do timed questions.
Textbook questions are goood for switching it up too!

Lol i guess you're right :/ , how many hours would you say every week of each science, atm i am doing 4 hours each every week, starting this week
Original post by Fazzy_77
Geography revision tips?

-revise fieldwork little and often
-learn examples eg case studies
-practice making answers concise eg 4 marker 2 explained points
-learn stats!
You’ll be fine xx
Lol i guess you're right :/ , how many hours would you say every week of each science, atm i am doing 4 hours each every week, starting this week

I’d be doing about 20 minutes a night of content learning/understanding and maybe a bit more at the weekends, sorry! You need to make sure you a. Aren’t get suicidally bored of science revision and b. aren’t doing f all in the time. Quality not quantity lol!
Reply 12
I take Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish, English, Maths, Geography, Business and Drama if anyone needs help!

though spanish and geography are my strong points (8s!), just wondering what resources you use for revision? i would like to expand on my knowledge on them more x
Original post by mikela
though spanish and geography are my strong points (8s!), just wondering what resources you use for revision? i would like to expand on my knowledge on them more x

Hello mikela! For geography I use the CGP revision guide which is super useful. I also use gcsegeography.com as it covers the content well.
For Spanish I literally just use my Mira textbook and for the fun of it I’ve been listening to Shakira to get my ear tuned to the accent.
Good luck and keep working hard - you’ll hit those grades xx
I’d be doing about 20 minutes a night of content learning/understanding and maybe a bit more at the weekends, sorry! You need to make sure you a. Aren’t get suicidally bored of science revision and b. aren’t doing f all in the time. Quality not quantity lol!

I literally dont have time to do 20 mins every night, but is 4 hours of quality still not enough
I literally dont have time to do 20 mins every night, but is 4 hours of quality still not enough

15 minutes a night? Make the time and it’ll be easier for you.
15 minutes a night? Make the time and it’ll be easier for you.

Ok lets say i did do this, would that be on top of the 4 hours or just 15 mins every day.
Because what about if i need to do past papers and other stuff
Ok lets say i did do this, would that be on top of the 4 hours or just 15 mins every day.
Because what about if i need to do past papers and other stuff

lol why don’t I plan your week for you
Monday-15 minutes learning content eg definitions
Tuesday-two 10 minute quick fire questions
Wednesday-textbook questions 5 minutes
Thursday-three 10 minute sessions content learning on flashcards eg formulas
Friday-15 minutes on textbook questions
Saturday-10 past paper Qs
Sunday- 15 mins on content
?
Hi last minute Maths advice?

Any tips for drama ?

Quick Reply

Latest