The Student Room Group

Should I take part in Erasmus or quit my job at home? Don't know what to do?

I'm considering taking part in a 3 month work based Erasmus programme in Italy with my university. The only issue is that I'd most likely have to quit my job to do it. It took me a long time to find a job that fit around my university schedule and I don't want to lose it because I'm getting some experience and money. It is only a bar work/waitressing job, but a job nevertheless. Erasmus at my university isn't paid for like some European programmes so I'd have to take everything I've saved.

I've wanted to do Erasmus since I started uni almost 2 years ago but never could due to finances, now I can afford to go but I'll probably have to quit my job and be back at square one when the programme ends (I can't imagine any employer keeping a position open for 3 months unless it was a medical issue ). I'm torn because on the one hand, I'd be getting valuable experience in a job that I actually want to do when I graduate and I'd get experience living abroad. And on the other hand, I'd be losing my job and end up being broke again when I got back.

Both of those are incredibly important to me because I want to live in Italy teaching English as a Foreign Language after uni and that's what my placement on Erasmus would be.

I haven't mentioned anything to my boss yet because I'm not sure on what to do. Some people have told me their boss would keep their job open if they were doing a similar thing and others have said it's highly unlikely they'd keep my job until I came back.

Sorry about the essay! I want to give you as much information as possible. What would you do if you was in this situation? I'm really stuck :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sofia1346
I'm considering taking part in a 3 month work based Erasmus programme in Italy with my university. The only issue is that I'd most likely have to quit my job to do it. It took me a long time to find a job that fit around my university schedule and I don't want to lose it because I'm getting some experience and money. It is only a bar work/waitressing job, but a job nevertheless. Erasmus at my university isn't paid for like some European programmes so I'd have to take everything I've saved.

I've wanted to do Erasmus since I started uni almost 2 years ago but never could due to finances, now I can afford to go but I'll probably have to quit my job and be back at square one when the programme ends (I can't imagine any employer keeping a position open for 3 months unless it was a medical issue ). I'm torn because on the one hand, I'd be getting valuable experience in a job that I actually want to do when I graduate and I'd get experience living abroad. And on the other hand, I'd be losing my job and end up being broke again when I got back.

Both of those are incredibly important to me because I want to live in Italy teaching English as a Foreign Language after uni and that's what my placement on Erasmus would be.

I haven't mentioned anything to my boss yet because I'm not sure on what to do. Some people have told me their boss would keep their job open if they were doing a similar thing and others have said it's highly unlikely they'd keep my job until I came back.

Sorry about the essay! I want to give you as much information as possible. What would you do if you was in this situation? I'm really stuck :frown:

Hi Sofia!

Firstly don't worry about the essay! It's clearly a tricky sitch for you so don't stress about getting it off your chest! :biggrin:

I'm Ben and I study Spanish, Italian and TESOL (kinda like TEFL) at Sheffield Hallam. I have taught English abroad and also had a Erasmus period in Italy! I lived in Bergamo (near Milan) and it was everything you'd dream of when you think about living in Italy. The culture, architecture, the lifestyle and THE FOOD OMG THE FOOD:argh:. It was honestly one of my most cherished experiences and 100% I'd say take the risk!

I know it's easy for me to say to go for it but a few years down the line would you regret not giving it a go?

I think before anything though I'd talk to your employer. Not to be cliché but I think honesty is the best policy. Let them know what you're thinking but also how importance your job is to you, you've written it on here and it's clear to me so tell them too! They might not give you the same role you have now, but if you show that you're enthusiastic you never know. If they tell you they won't offer you anything, at least all of the cards are on the table to help you make your decision! :smile:

Either way, I hope this has helped even a little and more I hope you are happy whichever choice you choose! (and sorry for my essay too) :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending