The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisat12
Firm agnostic here! I'm loving the book Homo Deus at the moment, and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good reads with a more theological perspective?

I've never read any of these books. Despite this, I do still think I have a pretty good grasp of these kind of arguments. However, I would recommend "The Age of Reason", by Thomas Paine.
It would be just as relevant to make a thread asking if Santa Claus exists.

It still boggles me how, in the 21st century, with all the information available, there can still be people who take 2000-year-old stories even remotely seriously.
Original post by Thomazo
It would be just as relevant to make a thread asking if Santa Claus exists.

It still boggles me how, in the 21st century, with all the information available, there can still be people who take 2000-year-old stories even remotely seriously.

Yep.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
My parents! Seriously Miszy, you need to brush up on basic biology if you didn’t know that a male body creates sperm and the female body makes eggs.

If you are making claims he exists then the burden is on you to show it. In absence of that it is perfectly reasonable to not believe in a being unsupported by evidence.

Signs of this world, what are you talking about?

Of course it does. To admit there are errors in the Quran would be to admit that Islam is false and that Allah doesn’t exist. And as being Muslim is often a huge part of someone’s identity they’re very unlikely to do this. And as I said, indoctrination has already impaired their critical thinking abilities and ensured that their ability to leave the faith as unlikely.

Of course they’re indoctrinated into their faith, just as the overwhelming majority of all religionists.

who created adam the first man on earth then?
okay now let's try reasoning logically.
first of all what is God defined as?
god is the person or thing or object that caused this universe to existence.
now our universe could be made in many ways like the big bang theory.
they also say that God just existed and can never die.....now we have a law of conversation of energy saying "energy can neither be created nor destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another" so this makes it more likely for God to be an energy. Now it doesn't matter if god is there or not. what matters is Does it have any effect or controls over our lives? and I personally think No! so there's no point of worshipping it or wasting resources on it since everyone does this to improve their lives but now their God has no control over their lives then there's no point of wasting time and resources on it.I personally don't believe if god exists but if someone told me that we should worship it then I would like to compare the relationship between their God and them vs the relationship between a robot and his maker.
when someone makes a robot and he finds out that there r mistakes in the robot then he can not do anythung until the robot is active.he first has to deactivate the robot or switch it off then make changes and test again.so if they believe in God then God makes them and finds faults in them but God cant rectify those faults while you are alive and that's y you die like the robot is switched off and then your God rectifies those mistakes and srnd you back on earth so this shows clearly that God has no control over ur life while u r alive so u shouldn't waste time and resources on it. thanks :smile:
Original post by brainmaster
okay now let's try reasoning logically.
first of all what is God defined as?
god is the person or thing or object that caused this universe to existence.
now our universe could be made in many ways like the big bang theory.
they also say that God just existed and can never die.....now we have a law of conversation of energy saying "energy can neither be created nor destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another" so this makes it more likely for God to be an energy. Now it doesn't matter if god is there or not. what matters is Does it have any effect or controls over our lives? and I personally think No! so there's no point of worshipping it or wasting resources on it since everyone does this to improve their lives but now their God has no control over their lives then there's no point of wasting time and resources on it.I personally don't believe if god exists but if someone told me that we should worship it then I would like to compare the relationship between their God and them vs the relationship between a robot and his maker.
when someone makes a robot and he finds out that there r mistakes in the robot then he can not do anythung until the robot is active.he first has to deactivate the robot or switch it off then make changes and test again.so if they believe in God then God makes them and finds faults in them but God cant rectify those faults while you are alive and that's y you die like the robot is switched off and then your God rectifies those mistakes and srnd you back on earth so this shows clearly that God has no control over ur life while u r alive so u shouldn't waste time and resources on it. thanks :smile:

In other words the universe exists. Nice to know.
There isn't really any solid evidence to suggest there could be a god or multiple godly beings with some control over the way the world works. Certainly, many societies have some sort of god, gods, or supernatural/spiritual beings that are present in their faiths and views of the world. How possible these things are is another point entirely. Perhaps there's some instinctive human need to know why our planet has life and why we were 'created', and how life happened on this planet, which has lead to the need for an explanation for it.

Equally, there's nothing really to suggest that there couldn't be supernatural beings that control the universe or at least fashioned it. For all we know, this universe could have been created by alien species as a project to see if they could make a universe. Who really knows? The answer is - they don't. You can only believe one explanation or another, or none at all. Whatever your view is we should respect it. However, when you start pushing your view onto others, and when you start trying to control other people's lives - that's when there's a problem.

I, personally, don't believe in 'God' as such, but I'm certainly open to the idea that it's possible there's something else out there. Whether aliens or a an all-powerful being, I don't know. In terms of life after death, it's not like dead people pop back for a visit so you can ask.

I guess people just don't like the idea that life evolved for no specific reason and there isn't really a purpose for our existence here.
Original post by asianprincess123

You do know that this is 'question begging' don't you?

Have you ever entertained the possibility that Holy Books (of any religion) are full of myths to provide simple-sounding answers to otherwise difficult or impossible to answer questions?

No one, Adam didn’t exist.
No one, Adam didn’t exist.

how u saying that? if adam didnt exist their wont be no humans

He's saying the first human to exist on earth isn't Adam.
Original post by k.n.h.
He's saying the first human to exist on earth isn't Adam.

he doesnt belive that adam was the first man on earth cox he knows its the truth but hes ignorant thats why hes denying it

Nonsense. Humans evolved, there was no first man and woman, the gene pool isn’t big enough.
he doesnt belive that adam was the first man on earth cox he knows its the truth but hes ignorant thats why hes denying it

He doesn't believe in Adam because... he knows Adam is real? What you said doesn't make sense. Also, if you have that much certainty, you haven't really questioned much about your religion, have you? It is most likely that the Adam in Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity..etc) does not exist.
Nonsense. Humans evolved, there was no first man and woman, the gene pool isn’t big enough.

i dont belive in evolution
i dont belive in evolution

Not my problem. You not believing in it doesn’t make it not true.
Original post by k.n.h.
He doesn't believe in Adam because... he knows Adam is real? What you said doesn't make sense. Also, if you have that much certainty, you haven't really questioned much about your religion, have you? It is most likely that the Adam in Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity..etc) does not exist.

do u have evidence that he didnt exist ?

Have you gone mad? No, Adam didn’t exist and I know it’s not the truth. Troll harder.
There has been proof that a man name Jesus who was a cartenper existed years ago but that doesn't mean there he performed miracles.

I personally don't believe God is real and think Religion is something people made up because they're scared of death and how when you die that's It - It's all over. But, that doesn't mean I won't respect your opinion (only if you respect mine).
Have you gone mad? No, Adam didn’t exist and I know it’s not the truth. Troll harder.

no im not mad and theirs no point arguing with u cox u think ur always right and others who challenge u are wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending