The Student Room Group

Ask me questions about A-levels, GCSE's or uni application process

I am currently in year 13, taking my A levels in June 2018 and going to university in September 2018. Whether its GCSE questions/advice on a-levels, uni application process I am happy to answer. I am currently taking Maths, Accounting and Economics at a-level.
My GCSE results were 3 A*, 8 A's and 2 B's.

Fire away and ask any advice - I AM COMPLETELY HONEST

xxx

Scroll to see replies

How can you be sure that you university degree you're applying for is the right one for you? I've changed my mind so often in the past two years that I don't feel like I can trust myself anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by farahhh24
How can you be sure that you university degree you're applying for is the right one for you? I've changed my mind so often in the past two years that I don't feel like I can trust myself anymore.

So I knew that I wanted to study Economics at uni only since the end of my first year of college. I had never studied it before A level so didn't really know much about it.
However in saying this I still don't know what job I want to do or anything like that but I it comes once you go through the process of university.
In particular I want to go into the financial side of economics, simply because when we have learnt about he financial sector in macroeconomics I really enjoyed it and found it the most interesting.
I think he best thing you can do is make a list of subjects you enjoy and just look at the different courses available for those subjects. Only once you have seen the different course details will you know if its for you and if you could enjoy studying it for the next 3 years after college.

I don't know what stage you're at a college but university isn't necessarily the next logical step after college. If you're finding it super difficult to choose a course maybe university isn't for you and an apprenticeship or foundation course is better suited to you. Best thing to do is to research the different options available to you.
I am in year 12 but haven't started revising yet. Am I screwed? Also best revision tips?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous030701
I am in year 12 but haven't started revising yet. Am I screwed? Also best revision tips?

Your'e not screwed but the sooner you start revising the better, especially if your A-levels are the new ones because you'll have to remember content from September 2017 till May 2019 which is pretty long. I would just start as soon as possible for both your AS exams and A-levels.
My revision technique is have a powerpoint for each subject, make a new slide after each lesson and condense notes from the lesson onto the slide. Then make A4 posters and then revision cards. However the key is continuous consolidation later on throughout the year in order to remember content learnt at the beginning of the year.
O
Original post by cloudc
Your'e not screwed but the sooner you start revising the better, especially if your A-levels are the new ones because you'll have to remember content from September 2017 till May 2019 which is pretty long. I would just start as soon as possible for both your AS exams and A-levels.
My revision technique is have a powerpoint for each subject, make a new slide after each lesson and condense notes from the lesson onto the slide. Then make A4 posters and then revision cards. However the key is continuous consolidation later on throughout the year in order to remember content learnt at the beginning of the year.

okay thanks, also is UCAS stressful?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous030701
O

okay thanks, also is UCAS stressful?

It's quite easy, just double check your application before you send it off, especially that you have entered the correct courses. Also get it off the sooner the better because then its out of the way and you can focus on your studies!
How did you study Economics for A levels? I get the subject matter...It's just that I don't know how to expand on my answers (10-14 mark questions), especially since sometimes there is only a small paragraph of that questioned topic in the textbook. Any extra resources I should check (maybe the Ultimate Review Packet by ACDC...Not sure whether I should get it or not)?
Reply 8
Original post by HushPsyche
How did you study Economics for A levels? I get the subject matter...It's just that I don't know how to expand on my answers (10-14 mark questions), especially since sometimes there is only a small paragraph of that questioned topic in the textbook. Any extra resources I should check (maybe the Ultimate Review Packet by ACDC...Not sure whether I should get it or not)?

For economics after learning the theory the next step is definitely to improve your essay writing. I would find all the past paper questions possible online and practise them. Hand your practice essays into your teachers and ask them to mark them and give you feedback then you will realise what improvements to do. Also look at mark schemes and model answers and learn from them. To add to your essays keep up with current affairs and real world examples of different economic topics. I would recommended subscribing to The Economist or regularly reading their website.
Reply 9
Is the second year of A Level easier as you're used to the workload as you've already had Year 12. I'm in year 12 now and I'm stressed and struggling!! no motivation anymore and I've not done one AS exam yet!!
Reply 10
Original post by harpss
Is the second year of A Level easier as you're used to the workload as you've already had Year 12. I'm in year 12 now and I'm stressed and struggling!! no motivation anymore and I've not done one AS exam yet!!

When you get to second year, all you think about is leaving college and what you want to do after college. Therefore i think you feel more motivated because most the time you want to finish college with the best grades so you're able to follow your goals after college. I'd say the work load is just as much in terms of how much content you have to learn. However I would presume you're doing the new linear a-levels so you will probably spend more time revisiting first year content nearer the time.
In my opinion, during my independent studying times I have increased the workload I expect myself to achieve because I didn't do enough work last year and want to improve dramatically on my AS grades, so in that sense I am a lot busier in my second year.
The best advice I could give you is just do well in your exams in first year that count towards your predictions. Even if you're not going to uni, you will feel so much more motivation and confidence in second year. So just start revising now and find the energy to get **** done. Like I can 100% relate that revision is so boring but at the end of the day when you get results in August you will feel so relieved and the hard work will definitely pay off!!
I’m currently in Year 12 and don’t know what to study at uni. I don’t know what my passion is and how can I find that out? I’m currently studying Sociology, German and Business. I want to study Economics and German at University but not sure, however I believe you need an A in maths but I’ve got a B which I could retake and try and get an A*. Do you know what the course would be like?
Reply 12
Original post by Student guest
I’m currently in Year 12 and don’t know what to study at uni. I don’t know what my passion is and how can I find that out? I’m currently studying Sociology, German and Business. I want to study Economics and German at University but not sure, however I believe you need an A in maths but I’ve got a B which I could retake and try and get an A*. Do you know what the course would be like?

Economics and German sounds great and seems like a really unique and exciting degree that employers would be intrigued by. I think the course would probably be learning core elements of Economics along with learning the language of German plus cultural and historical elements of Germany. If you were able to do a internship in your third year in Germany or for a German company that would be amazing.
However don't just do a degree or go to uni because everyone else is, there are so many things you can do after college which aren't uni like internships and volunteering etc. Also if by the time you've reached second year and you still don't know what to do after college theres no reason why you can't take a gap year to gain some experience maybe do some travelling or volunteering and give yourself more time to find out your passions.
Maybe take some time in summer to find some work experience for different jobs to gain experience and get better knowledge about the type of job you'd like to do and then work backwards to find out what degrees suit that role or if you even need a degree at all. Finding work experience can be really easy sometime. If theres like a business park or company offices in you local area, do some research on the companies either call or find an email for them and ask if they would like a summer intern for a week or two in certain departments. Also if its local it also means saving on travel expenses. These companies may take a shine to you and its great to build up contacts for when your looking for a job after graduation.
Finally about the A in maths, I have seen quite a few courses where you don't need an A in maths a-level, but you do need at least like a B in maths GCSE. Ive also seen plenty of economics courses where you don't need a particular grade in maths. Before thinking about retaking your maths I would contact the admissions for the university and ask whether theres any lee way with the requirements for maths. Normally they can be very helpful so its worth a shot.
Original post by cloudc
For economics after learning the theory the next step is definitely to improve your essay writing. I would find all the past paper questions possible online and practise them. Hand your practice essays into your teachers and ask them to mark them and give you feedback then you will realise what improvements to do. Also look at mark schemes and model answers and learn from them. To add to your essays keep up with current affairs and real world examples of different economic topics. I would recommended subscribing to The Economist or regularly reading their website.

Thanks! Btw econ unit 1 was great.! Not so sure about unit 2...
Reply 14
Original post by HushPsyche
Thanks! Btw econ unit 1 was great.! Not so sure about unit 2...

What exam board do you do?
Original post by cloudc
What exam board do you do?

Edexcel IAL
Reply 16
How important are GCSE Results for University's-How would good Uni's regard Poor GCSE's but Strong A Levels ?
Are gcses or A levels more important when going into medicine? I'm in Year 11 right now and doing my gcses and i definitely think i failed french
Reply 18
What Uni are you going to as your firm? And which ones did you apply for in your 5 choices?
Reply 19
Original post by STw67
How important are GCSE Results for University's-How would good Uni's regard Poor GCSE's but Strong A Levels ?

Your A levels are 10000% more important than GCSEs when it comes to university because it is your main basis of getting a place. However when looking at entry requirements you will still see that universities do mention some GCSE grades that they want you to have. For example Maths and English above a C grade. I know that Oxbridge do take into account your GCSE grades and if they aren't up to scratch (majority A's and A*'s) then you may be told by your college to not consider it as an option.
Also when applying through UCAS for university you have to list all your qualifications even if there are some that you failed they still have to be listed. This means that there are no hiding any terrible GCSE grades, and the university could glance over these grades when seeing your application.
In my opinion if you have done extremely well in your a levels but have below average GCSEs this shouldn't be a problem when applying for university because your a levels which are much harder and more recent, as well as your work experience, personal statement and drive as person will always be more valued.

Quick Reply

Latest