The Student Room Group

Triangle In Circle, Prove An Angle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I hate maths
I'll challenge that claim with my own improved method.

Draw the diagram to scale and use a protractor.

Wouldn't that be impossible since pi is irrational?
Reply 41
Original post by Y11_Maths
Aaah I’m so confused. There are so many ways of going about this problem and I don’t even know which is right :frown:

I'd recommend following the bear's method because it's the most GCSE and ask him if you get stuck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
angle COB = 2x

the area of triangle ABC = r2/2

the area of triangle OBC = 1/2 of the area of triangle ABC

====> r2/4 = 1/2*OB*OC*Sin2x

etc.

But if we already
angle COB = 2x

the area of triangle ABC = r2/2

the area of triangle OBC = 1/2 of the area of triangle ABC

====> r2/4 = 1/2*OB*OC*Sin2x

etc.

Is this right?
I don’t know what to do
7DEE6479-3AB4-417C-906F-CC5CA26BA8AE.jpg.jpeg
Reply 43
But if we already

Is this right?
I don’t know what to do
7DEE6479-3AB4-417C-906F-CC5CA26BA8AE.jpg.jpeg

Your last line is wrong. You have r^2 on both sides so they should cancel.
Original post by Notnek
Your last line is wrong. You have r^2 on both sides so they should cancel.

Oh yes, silly mistake, this time of night haha.
So 1=2sinx.
Where do I go from here? I don’t see where it’s taking me...
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 46
Oh yes, silly mistake, this time of night haha.
So 1=2sinx.
Where do I go from here? I don’t see where it’s taking me...

You have 1=2sin(2x) - I assume you meant this?

Move the 2 to the other side then you should know what 2x is equal to.
Original post by SumOfSquares
They did cancel. I think it says 1 on the LHS

No I shouldn’t be left with an r^2 term on the RHS
No I shouldn’t be left with an r^2 term on the RHS

Yh. I just realized after posting. Sorry.
Original post by SumOfSquares
Wouldn't that be impossible since pi is irrational?

I was messing around :wink:. Standards for proof in school maths are lax but not THAT lax. I think there are other issues if you were to approach the problem that way... You'd have to take a long good look at yourself in the mirror!
Original post by Notnek
You have 1=2sin(2x) - I assume you meant this?

Move the 2 to the other side then you should know what 2x is equal to.

Yes I did my bad. So sin(2x)= 1/2. Which is 30 degrees. So the other angle is 150 degrees. Since the triangle is isosceles 2x is 30 so x is 15 degrees! Please tell me that I’ve finished????
Reply 51
Yes I did my bad. So sin(2x)= 1/2. Which is 30 degrees. So the other angle is 150 degrees. Since the triangle is isosceles 2x is 30 so x is 15 degrees! Please tell me that I’ve finished????

Looks like you've finished. Although once you know 2x = 30, you have x = 15 and you're done - I don't know why you mentioned isosceles triangles.

For GCSE you need to know that there are two solutions to sin(x) = a where x<180 and the second can be found by subtracting the first from 180. So another solution is 2x = 150 so x = 75. But your teacher probably doesn't expect you to mention this.
Original post by Notnek
Looks like you've finished. Although once you know 2x = 30, you have x = 15 and you're done - I don't know why you mentioned isosceles triangles.

For GCSE you need to know that there are two acute solutions to sin(x) = a and the second can be found by subtracting the first from 180. So another solution is 2x = 150 so x = 75. But your teacher probably doesn't expect you to mention this.

Well if triangle OCA has 2 lengths of r then it is isosceles and has 2 angles both of x. Which is why I said this. But I’m tired so I missed your quicker way but it’s fine.

Oh ok thanks for bringing this up! And thank you for helping. Also huge thanks to @psc---maths for providing the diagram, this was extremely useful! And thanks to @the bear who made it really simple to follow and get the answer. Wohoo!
My solution:

From the given statement, area of triangle = r^2/2.

Connecting radii helps to see area of triangle = 1/2 r^2(sina) + 1/2 r^2 sin(180-x) --> [ABC] = r^2sin(a). This means a=30 degrees. <X = 0.5(180-150) = 15 degrees (as the triangle is evidently isosceles).
Original post by thekidwhogames
My solution:

From the given statement, area of triangle = r^2/2.

Connecting radii helps to see area of triangle = 1/2 r^2(sina) + 1/2 r^2 sin(180-x) --> [ABC] = r^2sin(a). This means a=30 degrees. <X = 0.5(180-150) = 15 degrees (as the triangle is evidently isosceles).

Edit: had to use sin(x) = sin(180-x) but this is in the new GCSE :P
And thanks to @the bear who made it really simple to follow and get the answer. Wohoo!

Woohoo

:naughty:
Reply 56
Woohoo

:naughty:

Are there any limits to @the bear’s helpfulness?

Quick Reply

Latest