The Student Room Group

UK returns to budget surplus

Figures released yesterday showed the first current surplus since 2001 with a £3.8bn surplus in calendar year 2017. While it is still the case when including capital expenditure that there is an overall budget deficit, day to day spending is lower than tax revenues.

This furthers the blow to Keynsian thinking with analysts putting this down to the decision by the 2010-15 coalition government to cut spending rather than increase taxes, with the two countries that took this approach (Uk and ROI) showing much stronger results than Europe as a whole.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/03/01/back-black-uk-current-budget-surplus-imf-says-osborne-right/
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No one cares.
Original post by Jammy Duel
While it is still the case when including capital expenditure that there is an overall budget deficit.
There we go.:yy:
It was toally worth the thousands of deaths it cuased. totoally fixed the economy.
Austerity politics is old news.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It was toally worth the thousands of deaths it cuased. totoally fixed the economy.

That post was thought out as well as it was typed.
Reply 6

I guess sky high unemployment and an economy barely out of the toilet is better than claims of thousands dead
Original post by Notoriety
That post was thought out as well as it was typed.

That;s about as much thought it deserves XD
I guess sky high unemployment and an economy barely out of the toilet is better than claims of thousands dead

I wouldn't expect a cold right winger such as yourself to ever leave your bubble and look at what your poltics have done.

Glad you’ve come round to sensible thinking 👍🏻
Original post by Davij038
Glad you’ve come round to sensible thinking 👍🏻

I know a fascist such as yourself is more openly honest about the brutality of your politics. If only that counted for anything.
Can they stop cutting everything now then.
Reply 12
Oh great… except the budget surplus in 2001 was thanks to a stimulated economy thanks to falling unemployment, increased consumer spending and encouragement for enterprise…

This budget surplus is on the back off treating disabled people poorly, reducing education standards, increased poverty, increasing NHS waiting lists, reducing healthcare quality and let’s not forget increasing VAT to 20%, when we had a surplus in 2001 the labour government was CUTTING taxes for ordinary people and small business and improving the public sector whilst spending to ensure and sustain future economic growth!
(edited 6 years ago)
I know a fascist such as yourself is more openly honest about the brutality of your politics. If only that counted for anything.

‘Brutal’austerity allowing most people to live reasonably well, rather than ruining it for everyone (save for an elite- who wil always occur) under the mantra of an ever shifting concept of ‘equality’
Original post by 04MR17
There we go.:yy:

The current surplus/deficit is the important one in that it is the running of the government functions. That overall deficit could be eliminated right now by cancelling all capital spending. Think of it in terms of household spending, your current surplus/deficit would be looking at household income and comparing it to things like bills, food, fuel, etc, overall would be considering things like getting an extension or a new car, TV, etc. Getting, say, a new car you might have an overall household deficit as a one off matter while retaining a current surplus and as such there is no issue here. The most important surplus/deficit figure is current. That does not mean that we should not try to have revenues to cover capital spending NOW as well though.
I wouldn't expect a cold right winger such as yourself to ever leave your bubble and look at what your poltics have done.

So you're accepting it's blind rhetoric and you don't actually have any evidence to back you up, you just resort to really **** insults?

Yeah, totally helping your case by calling people fascists rather than giving supporting evidence
Well fantastic. This has clearly greatly enriched the prosperity and quality of life of the British people. From now on whenever I worry about my future prospects, I will be able to sleep in peace in the safe knowledge that a certain number now has a plus sign in front of it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Well fantastic. This has clearly greatly enriched the prosperity and quality of life of the British people. From now on whenever I worry about my future prospects, I will be able to sleep in peace in the safe knowledge that a certain number now has a plus sign in front of it.

I certainly did sleep easier when I’d paid my debt off, and knowing I wouldn’t have to keep paying off interest.
you just resort to really **** insults?
This is TSR remember.
Misleading headline.

It doesn't include capital expenditure and it is two years after it was promised.

You also haven't provided any evidence that we would have grown slower had we adopted a Keynsian model like Portugal did, whose economy has grown far faster than out own.

I do like the fact that the media have barely touched this story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending